Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other ev manufacturer oem tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a lot of new ev models out there, there are also a lot of other manufacturer oem tires available.

For those of us who’ve gone to say 20” wheels on the new S (2021+), has anyone tried the 20” options from say Pirelli or Michelin?

Here’s two Pirelli pZ4 ELECT I found that are for Mercedes ev 20”

Attachments

• 4159300_US_P.jpg
    4159300_US_P.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 4159600_US_P.jpg
    4159600_US_P.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 59
If you hop on tirerack, the electric tires will always specify "ELECT" or "Electric Vehicle Tuned". Here's a set of Mercedes OEM Pirelli (non-AMG so it doesn't have the M01 designator) from 2019 showing that (wanted to go back a few years just to show it's not a recent addition to the description).

Also, which vehicle were you looking at, I couldn't see any with 20" wheels on it. --- not trying to discredit anything, I'm always looking for new tires to consider.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 6.27.36 AM.png

If you hop on tirerack, the electric tires will always specify "ELECT" or "Electric Vehicle Tuned". Here's a set of Mercedes OEM Pirelli (non-AMG so it doesn't have the M01 designator) from 2019 showing that (wanted to go back a few years just to show it's not a recent addition to the description).

Also, which vehicle were you looking at, I couldn't see any with 20" wheels on it. --- not trying to discredit anything, I'm always looking for new tires to consider.

View attachment 901308
That’s ok! I don’t read the full OP’s message frequently either before I respond :) 2021+ model S again. And 20” oem width wheels again.

But to tirerack, I think something is going on with them and Pirelli. Quite a few of the Pirelli elect tires that are actually in production (4159300 and 4159600 for example) don’t even show up on tirerack! I did call up Pirelli to ask them if these specific tires are discontinued and they said “not at all. Very much in production”. I noticed the same thing with tirerack and vredstein a few years ago.

It’s a pity tirerack’s not really the encyclopedia of tires!

• Helpful
Reactions: Sam1
just buy tires that are the right size and rated for the weight of the car, that's it, stop overcomplicating things
There are massive manufacturing differences between them. There's a reason why you will see the same brand, model and size of tire vary as much as 3 pounds per tire depending on if they are an OEM spec for Merc/Porsche/Tesla/McLaren etc.

If you think there's no difference, there is. On my first M3P, I put a set of Porsche PZ4's on there and the car felt like it was driving on playdough. To the point where they were on for a week and I had to replace them with a different type.

OEM tires are not special and in fact the quality of OEM tires varies from very good to somewhat poor. Just go to a tire store like Discount Tire and choose a set that it suitable for your car. You should have a number to pick from.

OEM tires are not special and in fact the quality of OEM tires varies from very good to somewhat poor. Just go to a tire store like Discount Tire and choose a set that it suitable for your car. You should have a number to pick from.

They are absolutely different. Here's a quick sample, and you can extrapolate this through almost any OEM spec tire.
Michelin PS4S 295/30/21 in Tesla spec and then open market spec.

2 pounds difference, same load rating, different tread widths, and different tread depths. (ignore the acoustic foam, it's in the lighter tire anyways)...

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.53.52 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.54.02 AM.png

Disagree. If you buy the correct tire specification there is no difference, you just have to fill the tire to the pressure as stated by Tesla. My car’s OEM tires was the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires, which lasted just 20,000 miles. I am now running on Continental Extreme Contact DSW 06 Plus, which is a far superior tire to the OEM.

Disagree. If you buy the correct tire specification there is no difference, you just have to fill the tire to the pressure as stated by Tesla. My car’s OEM tires was the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires, which lasted just 20,000 miles. I am now running on Continental Extreme Contact DSW 06 Plus, which is a far superior tire to the OEM.

I think I'll put my trust in the manufacturers that make the tires, that there are variations, based on their own specifications.

Yes yes this is total over complication.

I’ll let you in on a little secret - tire manufacturers make new sizes when a car manufacturer asks for it. :)
Not new sizes. Same size, same brand, same model and they're built differently. But no sweat off my back, some people drive like grandmas, and other people are topping out their cars weekly like me. I don't go by the 'bUt It HaS tHe SaMe LoAd RaTiNg" so it must be the same approach.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Update - even my tire and alignment guy tells me the Michelin ps4s are much better than the Pirelli pZ4 . Dammit.

I don’t understand why I’m so fixated on the elect badge on a tire when every review / advice I’ve gotten is that the elect badge just means poorer wet braking / handling.

Is it because the geek in me is troubled with losing those extra few wh/mile ? This is stupid - I should have bought a Nissan leaf if I was that concerned with wh/mile!

Yeah, their site is super easy to use as a reference. But I also understand it's kind of difficult to accurately track 5,000 different products that are being cycled in and out regularly.
I found out from a friend who owns a racing outfit that Tirerack undercuts prices by 20-30% all the time and the manufacturers are pissed off due to dropping sale margins and fighting back by not releasing all options to tirerack.

Also found out that despite the last 3 years and Covid, the big tire manufacturers have sold more tires than they could have imagined! So they’re getting bolder now with companies like tirerack!

Fvuk it! I’m going Pirelli :)

Someone reminded me that this is is not the time to make rational decisions!

Also if I don’t try it, I’ll never know

And my goal is to wear out said Pirellis before November this year… before the all seasons go back on!

That's my approach as well. Now that I'm stocked up on PS4S again, I'll blow off these goodyears this weekend or next with some donuts.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG