Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Home Battery Options? (PW alternative)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been waiting ~9m for a PW and still no sign. Just wondered if there are any recommendations for alternatives that are more readily available.

My main aim is to capture solar and charge with cheap off peak rates. Not too fussed about off grid operation in a power cut.

I know this has been discussed before but couldn’t find any advice(just searched the forum) on the current status of the current battery offerings and their availability. But feel free to point me to a thread if I have missed something!

I’ve got a GivEnergy battery and panels going in next week.

All I’ve read seems pretty positive which is why I went for that over anything else.
We had 4kW of panels, a GivEnergy hybrid inverter and 5.2kWh GivEnergy battery installed in January last year. So far the installation has worked faultlessly. With hindsight, I would have gone for a larger battery.

My only recommendation is to check that the inverter can set block discharge time periods - preferably at least three of them & configurable via app and web browser (means car charging will only use grid power and not drain the house batteries when block discharge is enabled, for instance during a low cost overnight period).

It's also useful to have a 'local mode' on the app for use when in close proximity to the inverter. This avoids the inevitable time lag in monitoring or changing settings via the web (can be from 1-5 minutes between refreshes but real-time in local mode).

Reactions: InventEd and Bacon
. Not too fussed about off grid operation in a power cut

I think Givenergy has a local 13AMP socket (or something like that) which can be used in power cut.

Wish when my house was (recently) rewired the sparky had suggested to keep "essential circuits" separate from the rest, to make it easy to just provide power to those during power cut.

I think Givenergy has a local 13AMP socket (or something like that) which can be used in power cut.

Wish when my house was (recently) rewired the sparky had suggested to keep "essential circuits" separate from the rest, to make it easy to just provide power to those during power cut.
There are four options with the GivEnergy gear, ranging from the simple double plug to auto changeover with full house support. We went for the latter but noting that you need to take care that the house isn't pulling more than the max discharge capacity of the inverter when it kicks in. This would cause a trip. This scenario is possible but given we have very few power cuts and tend not to run power hungry kit concurrently, we went for it.

Demand for gas (home heating and electricity generation) exceed supply could change that of course ... and likely to result in rolling power cuts which would favour a home with off-grid battery capability (and would probably have a timetable such that battery could be charged "ready" for the outage period).
Fortunately for us and unfortunately for Mr Putin it seems the unseasonably warm winter we’ve had so far is making that scenario less and less likely…
I’m hoping by next year we will have put mitigating plans in action to further reduce the likelihood of rolling blackouts…

I have been waiting ~9m for a PW and still no sign. Just wondered if there are any recommendations for alternatives that are more readily available.

My main aim is to capture solar and charge with cheap off peak rates. Not too fussed about off grid operation in a power cut.

I know this has been discussed before but couldn’t find any advice(just searched the forum) on the current status of the current battery offerings and their availability. But feel free to point me to a thread if I have missed something!
I run LuxPower inverter and 4 x Greenlinx 3.2KWH - with 6.5kw of solar on roof. The greenlinx are 100-0% useable.

Summer - will run pretty much all off solar (with excess going in the car via Zappi)

Winter - Top off house batts and car during the 6hr window.

I plan to add a 5th batt before next winter purely to give me a little more headroom - gut feel is another batt is wiser spend than replacing dishwasher/ washer and dryer for ones that are quieter - lets face it nobody really wants all 3 running in the early hours unless silent...

Reactions: InventEd
I had fitted a 4.4kW PV system, hybrid inverter and 5.2kW batteries back in May 21 before the energy crisis kicked in. Seeing the impending doom I ordered another 3 batteries in May 22 which took a couple of months to arrive, which was lucky at the time. Total usable is now 11.7kW (13kW actual) batteries.
System is a Fox Hybrid inverter, JA Solar panels and 5x Fox HV2600 batteries at 2.6kW each. 90% usable.
I work the system exactly as you detail, with solar in the summer topping up batteries and then using them to power the house in the evening. The 2 batteries worked well in summer of as would be full after max day usage and enough to last the evening and into the night. I usually gave it an hour top up at 03:30 -04:30 on Go cheap rates to cover the early morning before the sun rises and the cycle repeats. With the additional batteries I can make it through the night sometimes without any top up necessary. We are a very high usage house and I time shift all my usage to off peak.
My best month to date was October 22 when I managed 96.3% off peak that was with 962kW of grid usage and 604kW going between charging 2 cars (granny and wall charger). Solar generation that month for me was 493kW.
Winter usage shows our limitations, even with 5 batteries as when weather has been totally overcast batteries drain by main peak use time 5-7pm which is a shame.
I'm rambling, sorry...
System was purchased and installed by UPS Solar who did us a good job, no complaints from me with my install.
I bought the extra batteries from another supplier as their prices were significantly cheaper even though UPS told me I'd void the warranty apparently? When installed I spoke with Fox direct who did a remote firmware upgrade and we were good to go.
I have no EPS, like you, don't feel necesarry as power cuts amount to maybe 1 a year? So infrequent I can't remember when the last one was.
To your point, if you have the correct solar and inverter then add related batteries. If you need a hybrid inverter to do the job then these are currently available immediately provided you can find an installer? Batteries are also now more abundant it would appear? I can order the same system as I currently have from ITS Technologies (who I got the batteries from) for delivery this week according to their website. When I ordered my batteries it was displaying a 2 month wait so I'm guessing their inventory is fairly up to date and accurate?
Price wise, UPS current install is £2k more than I paid 2 years ago as there were offers back then. Probably equates to the 0% VAT difference?
Hope this helps?

I have a power-wall 2 and 9.96 solar panels. Would like a second power-wall but deliveries are impossible. I was therefore thinking about MYenrgi libbi 20 or GIVE energy but can you fit them without much problem and without antagonizing the Power wall. My plan is to fill both batteries with solar and cheap overnight energy from IO and hopefully not use any non off-peak electricity 24/7 365 days per year. My max usuage in winter is just less than 1Mwh per month.

I have a power-wall 2 and 9.96 solar panels. Would like a second power-wall but deliveries are impossible. I was therefore thinking about MYenrgi libbi 20 or GIVE energy but can you fit them without much problem and without antagonizing the Power wall. My plan is to fill both batteries with solar and cheap overnight energy from IO and hopefully not use any non off-peak electricity 24/7 365 days per year. My max usuage in winter is just less than 1Mwh per month.
Tesla say their battery isn't compatible with other batteries. I think the reason is that it sees any sort of Inverter side battery as "solar", and thus will just drain it any time it has charge. I may be wrong, but Tesla defo say no other batteries allowed.

Tesla say their battery isn't compatible with other batteries. I think the reason is that it sees any sort of Inverter side battery as "solar", and thus will just drain it any time it has charge. I may be wrong, but Tesla defo say no other batteries allowed.
Yes that may be true for a PW however both inverters that I use have a facility to set block discharge schedules to get around this.

1. Solar/battery system.
Hybrid inverter charges its batteries from solar and cannot drain the other battery based system ('downstream'). This system currently has block discharge set 23.30-05.30.

2. Battery only.
Second inverter will drain the other batteries if charging unless block discharge is set or solar generation has already filled batteries in system 1. & there is sufficient additional excess.

Although the solar/battery system 1. is indeed seen as solar generation by system 2. this second one only charges its own batteries when there is actual excess solar or overnight, both during block discharge periods set on the Hybrid system.

It may sound complicated but it works perfectly, all a consequence of my initial PV system being installed with a hybrid inverter & in a way that I am unable to force charge those batteries from grid without braking the FIT Ts & Cs. Hence a second system that I can legally charge overnight from grid.

Reactions: phil4