Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Key Card Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian have introduced a slim rubber bracelet to allow you to lock all you valuables in the truck. This would be an ideal form factor for the Tesla key card. That way I could lock my wallet in the car and still have a way to unlock the car if my phone won't open the car.

Here's hoping someone copies that idea and starts selling alternatives to the key card.

Reactions: BailMY and Z_Lynx
Rivian have introduced a slim rubber bracelet to allow you to lock all you valuables in the truck. This would be an ideal form factor for the Tesla key card. That way I could lock my wallet in the car and still have a way to unlock the car if my phone won't open the car.

Here's hoping someone copies that idea and starts selling alternatives to the key card.
Not sure I would get into wearing a rubber bracelet luckily the phone has never let me down.

Not sure I would get into wearing a rubber bracelet luckily the phone has never let me down.
The official name given by Rivian is wristband. I suppose that should appeal better to the masculine challenged. I'd be happy to wear something like that on the opposite wrist to my Fitbit while out walking/hiking.

Now if someone were to sell a Tesla key card enabled Fitbit watch strap that would be the ultimate in convenience for myself. And let's not forget it's all about me ;-)

Screenshot 2022-08-07 11.54.10.png

Tesla needs to adopt the external keypad to lock/unlock the car like Ford/Lincoln has. I have found it to be extremely useful. They could even build it into the pillar like they do on Lincolns so it's not visible unless you swipe you hand along it.

Tesla needs to adopt the external keypad to lock/unlock the car like Ford/Lincoln has. I have found it to be extremely useful. They could even build it into the pillar like they do on Lincolns so it's not visible unless you swipe you hand along it.
They have a patent to use the pillar cameras to do facial recognition so that it would unlock the car as you approached.

I have a beaded bracelet instead of a ring (from the same company), but I have read about melting the card and then re-fixing the RFID chip into anything you like, from a 3D-printed object to a resin-poured object. If you don't have a 3D printer, some libraries do, and resin-pouring is pretty easy if you pick up supplies from a jewelry making/beading store/website.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Although face recognition is great, I would definitely not rely on that as my sole way to get into the car, if I was for example hiking, biking etc. It's not a 100% sure way. Same thing for the phone, it works 99% of the time but you need the key card for that other 1%.

They have a patent to use the pillar cameras to do facial recognition so that it would unlock the car as you approached.
Someone already has this on the market and I'm forgetting whom now but I've seen it mentioned in a YouTube review of some EV or another. I wonder how they got around the patent issue?

Same thing for the phone, it works 99% of the time but you need the key card for that other 1%.
Yeah especially doing physical activities, if you managed to break the phone (or accidentally drain the battery), you'd be out of luck without a backup. Any time the car doesn't recognize the phone key in other scenarios for me it's a matter of launching the app (my phone may have killed it off, thanks Google!!!) or closing and reopening the app if it's up. Worst case scenario might be a quick reboot of the phone if all else fails. Fortunately you don't need cellular or wifi connectivity to use the phone as a key, just power and a working bluetooth module and antenna :)

I carry my fob in my pocket at all times. Right front pocket. Part of getting dressed. Always able to walk up and open the doors with no trouble.

With the 3, I have a key card in my wallet at all times, so I just pull out my wallet and hold it against the B pillar to unlock. Never used the phone.

I carry my fob in my pocket at all times. Right front pocket. Part of getting dressed. Always able to walk up and open the doors with no trouble.

With the 3, I have a key card in my wallet at all times, so I just pull out my wallet and hold it against the B pillar to unlock. Never used the phone.

@roblab to each their own, but the phone as key is super convenient for the 99% of the time that it works without any intervention, similar to how you talk about walking up with the fob for your other vehicle.

Reactions: DBV1 and GtiMart
Although face recognition is great, I would definitely not rely on that as my sole way to get into the car, if I was for example hiking, biking etc. It's not a 100% sure way. Same thing for the phone, it works 99% of the time but you need the key card for that other 1%.
I know! what if someone beat the living *sugar* out of me and I finally find a chance to escape and my car doesn't recognize me. Heck sometimes after a big lunch I'm unrecognizable hehehe