Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Key Card Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weve all seen the ring that can be used to replace the tesla keycard, but does anyone know of other creative products that serve the same function?

Im not a ring guy so was curious if anyone had seen something that maybe attaches to a watch band or just any other key car alternatives.

Thanks!

I really want Tesla, or someone to come out with a smaller keycard as a backup. Like some of the 1/4 or 1/3 size frequent shopper cards.
I only like carry a few things I'm my wallet, so the smaller the better! I actually did dissolve one card and was going to put it into something else, but haven't got around to it.

BTW: I only had to use my card a couple of times with my 3 and never with my Y, but the times I did need it I was really glad I had it!

IMG_0679 2.jpeg

Smartwatch with the "Watch for Tesla" App. Works great with Apple watch.

I use Stats on my Apple Watch. The problem with all the Watch apps so far (correct me if I'm wrong or it has changed) is they all need a cellular connection either through the watch itself or the phone it is paired to. So at least for me it isn't a suitable "backup" if my iPhone dies/breaks etc.

Another option if you are looking for a non techie/backup option is to get a ring and attach it to your shoes. I haven't done that myself as I think they are still pricey and a happen to wear a bunch of different shoes (work, casual, actual tennis court, golf) and multiple pairs for each.

Dissolve the original card in acetone, fold the antenna using several figure "8" patterns (try to unlock your car with it)... then lay down a layer on your 3D printer, pause, place the RFID chip/antenna down on top of the foundation layer.. cement it down with superglue if needed.. print another layer on top of it.

You could always just buy one of the rings, then attach that to your keychain if you don't like to wear rings (like me).

Last edited:
Reactions: IamGaryGnu
Melted down the card and then stuck the antenna in an empty cavity of my phone case. I have to remove it to open the door if I need to (NFC chip in the phone seems to mess it up) but its there if I need it. ITs funny when you give the scraggly wire to a service place because you forgot to bring the actual key card.

Melted down the card and then stuck the antenna in an empty cavity of my phone case. I have to remove it to open the door if I need to (NFC chip in the phone seems to mess it up) but its there if I need it. ITs funny when you give the scraggly wire to a service place because you forgot to bring the actual key card.

New meaning to hot wiring... :p

Or you can just use the NFC function of an authenticated phone to unlock the door or drive the car by tapping to door pillar/sensor by cup holder.

Back up to no cell signal/bluetooth, or lost card key @Protect1989.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Or you can just use the NFC function of an authenticated phone to unlock the door or drive the car by tapping to door pillar/sensor by cup holder.

does this work on iphones? I think its android only...there's been about 4 times so far since June that the Y failed to detect my phone and I had to dig out the key card from my wallet. My wife is not too thrilled about me replacing my wedding band with a tesla ring.

That would be nice to have for sure but like maximus above me, I have an iphone and it doesnt seem to work as best I can tell (prove me wrong would be great). I would still run into the issue of not having a key card with me when I forget to bring it and have to drop the car off somewhere. I dont carry a wallet either, my phone has 3 cards stuffed in it already and cant fit anymore so the extra cavity with nothing to do is a perfect fit for my little wire.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Mine is the XR. It does have NFC but when I hold it up to the pillar it keeps bringing up my visa card in apple pay. IT actually screws up my key card wire. It wont work until I take the thing out of my phone case and hold it to the pillar without the phone trying to communicate. I apple was coming out with some sort of apple car key thing where the NFC chip could be used for starting a car but havent seen much more on it and cant find any ability to use it on the tesla. I've never had an issue with my phone unlocking the car but would be nice to have the NFC for a backup.