Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other makes charging on a Tesla supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theoretically, you could build an adapter that pretends to be a Tesla (using a VIN and other credentials from, say, a totaled Tesla). Then, as long as your EV has a battery voltage compatible with the SC, you’d be Golden.
Sounds like a lot of work, and likely as soon as Tesla figured it out they’d simply blackball that VIN from supercharging ever again.

Reactions: Kentrock1
Tesla needs to create a "Visitor" platform which allows someone with membership to use an approved adapter, maybe sold by Tesla (gotta make a buck). Theoretically, there would be a handshake and Tesla would know who the visitor was, open the flower electrons and "charge" the appropriate billing account. Of course, this comment says nothing about comparable voltage, charge rate, etc. Hey, Elon, do read TMC? Sorry, not on the Twit.

Tesla needs to create a "Visitor" platform which allows someone with membership to use an approved adapter, maybe sold by Tesla (gotta make a buck). Theoretically, there would be a handshake and Tesla would know who the visitor was, open the flower electrons and "charge" the appropriate billing account. Of course, this comment says nothing about comparable voltage, charge rate, etc. Hey, Elon, do read TMC? Sorry, not on the Twit.
I don't think Tesla would ever do that. The supercharger network is one of the single most important (IMO at least) advantage Tesla has over other EV manufacturers. I can't see why they would allow other car makes to use this competitive advantage.

Can someone remind me why, even if an adapter can be made for the Tesla supercharger, why other electric car makes could not actually charge on it? If I recall it was something about the voltage on the Tesla network being too high. Thanks.
You're already on the mistaken assumption that all Teslas can use Superchargers. Did you know that Supercharging used to be an extra optional purchase on some of their cars? Back in 2013-2014 or so, the old Model S 60 version did not come with Supercharging included, and it was I think a $2,500 extra option to enable that. So yes, the Superchargers have to communicate a bit to specifically identify the car to authorize that.

Theoretically, you could build an adapter that pretends to be a Tesla (using a VIN and other credentials from, say, a totaled Tesla).
I don't know of that being done with just an adapter. I know that has been demonstrated with a car sending spoofed information to turn on Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh and El joe
I don't think Tesla would ever do that. The supercharger network is one of the single most important (IMO at least) advantage Tesla has over other EV manufacturers. I can't see why they would allow other car makes to use this competitive advantage.
They would do it if it advances the mission. It’s not about beating all the competition, it’s about supporting them to make the transition from fossil fuels to electrons. The reasons why they haven’t yet could be anything from compliance and compatibility to jealousy and spite. If anyone signs up, it most likely would be a startup that has no interest in putting Tesla out of business.

I personally would not think this would be a good option as some locations already suffer from over crowding. Maybe if they did a couple visitor stalls on non-peak hours but even then, I think this would upset quite a few Tesla owners.

Reactions: theothertom
Now that some other EVs are starting to emerge that can charge at more than 50 KW, it may start to be feasible to allow others to use Superchargers. Initially, when it was only Teslas charging at a minimum of 85 kW and the Bolt/Leaf/etc, charging at a maximum of 50 KW, it wouldn't have been at all reasonable to allow these slow charging, short range cars to hog the rare Superchargers for much longer times.
I would, personally, welcome 3rd party charging at Superchargers, as long as they can charge at over 100 KW and pay enough to maintain and grow the network but I don't think this approach will work.
Unfortunately, if the OEMs won't support it, as Tesla originally wanted, the full cost of buildout, maintenance, and electricity must be placed upon the non-Tesla drivers. This will undoubtedly and unfortunately upset them since I suspect the cost is as much or more than EA, Chargepoint, or EVgo charge today and they grumble about it. Today's grousing about EA, Chargepoint, and EVgo ripping them off is projected towards dislike of Tesla for not letting them use Superchargers. If Tesla starts charging fair costs for non-Tesla cars to use Superchargers, while Tesla drivers pay the current electricity-only costs, it will only fuel further Tesla hatred. Based on a lot of the Tesla hatred by other EV drivers I've witnessed in various places, I can even envision bad confrontations happening in parking lots as self-entitled non-Tesla drivers paying a lot to Tesla are forced to hang-out with Tesla drivers charging quickly, for cheap.

Reactions: Kentrock1
To say nothing about how much it costs Tesla to install and maintain hundreds of chargers all over the US and elsewhere (gotta make a buck to pay for all that, including making an expensive adapter, which you want for free???) That theoretical visitor paid nothing for Tesla's superior network and rapid charge ability, so why in the world should Tesla give away something that the rest of us have paid for? This has nothing to do with compatible voltage, etc. And how would I feel, coming in for a charge while on a trip, and here are several non-Teslas hogging all the spots because they are too cheap to use a charger at home? In my experience, locals are the ones who abuse the charging network. So your "visitor" should go charge at a slow charger.

I'm sure Elon reads some of these posts. But in my opinion, your idea is not credible. If this visitor wants to experience Tesla's charging, he ought to buy Tesla's product.

. . . here are several non-Teslas hogging all the spots because . . .
While I don't totally disagree, I will say that it could work if the 'visitors' pay enough to enable Tesla to put in a lot more chargers. In other words, they would have helped to pay for it. That was Tesla's original policy for others to use the Supercharger network: they had to make viable EVs and help pay for the charging network. Clearly, with an appetite only for compliance EVs such as the Leaf, 500E, focusEV, e-golf, soulEV, Volt, etc, until Tesla ramped up production enough to really giving them a good ICE whooping, none were likely to, nor did they step up.
In order to even come close to paying for the infrastructure, the pricing would certainly have to be a lot more than charging at home so I envision a lot more visiting road trippers 'hogging all the spots' than locals.

While I don't totally disagree, I will say that it could work if the 'visitors' pay enough to enable Tesla to put in a lot more chargers. In other words, they would have helped to pay for it. That was Tesla's original policy for others to use the Supercharger network: they had to make viable EVs and help pay for the charging network. Clearly, with an appetite only for compliance EVs such as the Leaf, 500E, focusEV, e-golf, soulEV, Volt, etc, until Tesla ramped up production enough to really giving them a good ICE whooping, none were likely to, nor did they step up.
In order to even come close to paying for the infrastructure, the pricing would certainly have to be a lot more than charging at home so I envision a lot more visiting road trippers 'hogging all the spots' than locals.
$1.50 kWh + 1K for the adapter should make sure it's used for emergency use only. (People can rent the adapters to people going on road trips or moving with an EV).

Tesla offered to enable other makes' cars to use superchargers, but only if the other manufacturer were to "buy in" with a proportional share of the cost of the existing and future SuperCharger infrastructure. None has yet been willing to do so.

in europe there is a law where one charging station has to be availabl for all generic EVs so they can charge there.
Tesla doesnt want to implement 1 station where you can pay and plug in so in europe 1 supercharger per station is usually free to use for i.e. BMW or Audi EVs.

in europe there is a law where one charging station has to be availabl for all generic EVs so they can charge there.
Tesla doesnt want to implement 1 station where you can pay and plug in so in europe 1 supercharger per station is usually free to use for i.e. BMW or Audi EVs.
It was a bug: Tesla bug allows other electric cars to charge for free at new Superchargers - Electrek. It has been fixed. Also, the pugs were too short to reach a number or non-Tesla cars (Audi's with ports on the side).