Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other makes charging on a Tesla supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this ever happens at scale, it will be fascinating/enraging/entertaining to see the parking gymnastics 🤸‍♀️ other EVs will have to make with the short SC cables meant for the back corner of the car...

(In reality, this is likely going to be for some new start-up and maybe just in Northern Europe. I don't see any big players changing their approach any time soon. Hope I am wrong though, as no one has a shot at building this infrastructure except Tesla. See Electrify America which is still not anywhere near where it needs to be on many fronts.)

If this ever happens at scale, it will be fascinating/enraging/entertaining to see the parking gymnastics 🤸‍♀️ other EVs will have to make with the short SC cables meant for the back corner of the car...
This may be an issue in Europe, but in the US, given that Tesla's current plug won't fit either CCS or CHAdeMO cars, there are three possibilities, all of which provide at least potential solutions:
  • Tesla may never open up Superchargers to all EVs, just to select makes/models, like Aptera, that adopt the Tesla charge port style. In this case, the makes/models that use the Tesla charge port would presumably have to position it in such a way that it would work when parked at Superchargers without contortions or occupying multiple stalls.
  • Non-Teslas that use Superchargers will have to use an adapter, and that adapter could include a long enough run of cable to support EVs with charge ports at various locations. Tesla (or whoever sells the adapters) might even offer different models with different cable lengths, so that owners of vehicles that don't require much extension cable won't have to pay for it.
  • Tesla may add CCS (and maybe CHAdeMO) plugs to their Superchargers. In this case, the CCS plug would likely be on a longer cable than the current Tesla plugs, to accommodate the variety of charge port locations on non-Tesla vehicles. Photos and videos I've seen of European Superchargers with both Tesla and CCS2 plugs look like they've taken this approach in Europe, although the CCS2 cable isn't all that much longer than the Tesla cable.
A combination of the first and third possibilities is that Tesla might add a CCS plug but refuse to service some makes/models if their charge ports are positioned in such a way that they couldn't park within the lines and have the Supercharger's CCS cable reach the charge port.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

(In reality, this is likely going to be for some new start-up and maybe just in Northern Europe. I don't see any big players changing their approach any time soon. Hope I am wrong though, as no one has a shot at building this infrastructure except Tesla. See Electrify America which is still not anywhere near where it needs to be on many fronts.)
Is that a mod strikethrough? Did I cross (no pun) a line I am not aware of? If so my apologies.