Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other manufacturing defects: Tow package and Horn

Have you tested your tow package?

• Nope

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes, and it worked fine

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Yes, and it was faulty

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I just got Angel back from the (really great) dealer in Bellevue, WA. I had a friend who wanted me to tow a bike trailer and I jumped at the chance to use my new Model X's tow package. I started by watching a couple of videos on how to do it before I slid under the car and exposed the tow-hitch coupling. I inserted the hitch into the hole and nothing. It would not attach. My friend and I tried for 20 minutes. I finally took the car to the dealer and asked them to help an old man attach the hitch. The tech nodded and smiled--and spent the next twenty minutes trying and failing to get it to work. He tried another hitch but that too would not click in place. I told my friend I could not help and waited a week for the parts to arrive. Angel spent the day up on a lift where they replaced the entire tow-hitch assembly on the car and it's now fixed.

While they were at it, they fixed the horn. Apparently, one of the two horns had failed. As I've mentioned before my horn sounded like I was stepping on a dog toy. They fixed that too.

I've had the car for less than eight months and this is the fourth major problem I've had including the faulty key fob issue and the faulty charge port. So far, I'm not impressed with Tesla's workmanship or quality control testing.

So, if you have a Model X, I suggest you at least try to attach the tow-hitch. It should take about 10 minutes. It might save you some time down the road if you need it in a hurry.