TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Other MX'ers having issue with refrigerant leaks?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bbaxter256, Aug 26, 2017.

1. bbaxter256

bbaxter256 Member

Had my X for almost 2 weeks. Took it in to SC for unrelated issue and they found a refrigerant leak under the right rear quarter panel. They seemed to know exactly what it was and how to fix it. The comment I got was that it was a refrigerant leak from a rear condenser connection because the "factory was using the wrong o-rings" for awhile. That sounds very unlikely to me but I can't argue with the fact that it's leaking and am glad they have a plan of action to fix it.

I'm wondering if any other MX owners have had similar issues? Tech stuck his hand under the quarter panel and it came back covered in fluid. The SC had clearly seen this before based on his response but I haven't seen many posts on it.

• Informative x 1
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Haven't seen posts about it, but it's interesting that this confirms there is some sort of AC condenser back in the right rear corner. I assume you have a seven seater/six seater? That is the hardware (rear AC) that is missing from the five seater and makes it warmer in the back area.

3. bbaxter256

bbaxter256 Member

Yep. It's a seven seat configuration and the tech checked that right away to confirm what he was seeing. I'll update the thread when I get the car back.

• Like x 1
  4. ThomasB

ThomasB Member

Had that issue and they fixed it. :)

• Like x 1
  5. bbaxter256

bbaxter256 Member

Great news! Thanks for the feedback.

6. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

I had it fixed two weeks after I got my X in April. O rings replaced, no problems since.

• Like x 1
  7. bbaxter256

bbaxter256 Member

Glad to hear it. Thanks!

8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

9. KrisB

KrisB Member

Had it fixed last week (have my 6-seater X since September)

10. bbaxter256

bbaxter256 Member

Wow! We didn't have that. I guess it depends on the severity of the leak and what the fluid is dripping on. Maybe a brake rotor?

11. bbaxter256

bbaxter256 Member

Picked up our X this afternoon. Time will tell if it's fixed for good but so far the air is working good. One thing I did notice is that we still had a little residual oil around the right rear wheel well trim. I guess it's hard to get in there to clean it all up but I think it's going to be a little harder to tell if the leak comes back.

12. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

It was refrigerant from the ac

13. hly

hly Member

I also had the same A/C o-ring issue, got fixed in half a day. I think it is a pretty common issue for a while.

14. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Same issue with my April Delivery 6 seater...SC Said there was a bad batch of O-Rings