Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Owners in Wyoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, to be fair, Wyoming has great distances and few fast chargers.
True, but hopefully that will change soon with funding from the federal govt. For those interested, Wyoming's National EV Infrastructure Plan can be found here: National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Program

Cowboy state daily is full of spin in favor of the fossil fuel industry.
I always enjoy charging at the supercharger in Evansville, right across the street from the Halliburton offices! :)

True, but hopefully that will change soon with funding from the federal govt. For those interested, Wyoming's National EV Infrastructure Plan can be found here: National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Program

I always enjoy charging at the supercharger in Evansville, right across the street from the Halliburton offices! :)

Sadly, the people running that program in Wyoming are designing it to fail. The last time there was federal funding the same thing happened. I personally would keep hopes low outside of I80/I25, and Teton/Yellowstone.

I really hope Tesla installs Cody soon, but more than that, one in Lander or Riverton should be the next step. It can be a bit out of the way for the Pinedale stretch, but would open up the middle of the state.

On the front plate conversation... been rolling around since 2018 without one and have yet to have any issues in Wyoming.

Of all the places to plan a new supercharger in WY, another one near Casper (with neighboring Evansville being the site of the only V3 in the whole state) would have been about my last guess! Wonder what the story is on that...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Of all the places to plan a new supercharger in WY, another one near Casper (with neighboring Evansville being the site of the only V3 in the whole state) would have been about my last guess! Wonder what the story is on that...

Yeah, why not Cody, or Farson, or Lander .... Anywhere that might actually connect the middle of the state.

Reactions: bruce4000

Hat Six too far out of the way for Jeffree Star so he’s putting one at his store in downtown Casper?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Tectonic
So, I'm planning a mid-Wyoming weekend road trip in the M3 LR:

I'm picking up three friends from the Denver airport on Friday, and plan on pushing through to Casper and the Hat Six supercharger Friday evening.

Overnight in Casper, then guided horseback riding in Riverton. Charging (albeit, not supercharging) plans at possibly the Breadboard and/or the destination charger at the Riverton Hampton Inn.

Overnight in Riverton, then Sunday morning to Thermopolis for white water rafting and hot springs. No chargers, but apparently you can plug-in your mobile charger at Eagle RV Park with 14-50 adaptor for Level 2 speeds.

Overnight in Thermopolis, then back to the Denver airport Monday to get everyone else on their way back home. I'm hoping a Rawlins supercharger sess on the way south will suffice for that.

I'm a little nervous that the lack of supercharging options might hinder freedom of activity in and around Riverton and Thermopolis, but I'm also secretly hoping it'll be a non-issue.

Any suggestions from anyone who frequents the area?

I'm picking up three friends from the Denver airport on Friday, and plan on pushing through to Casper and the Hat Six supercharger Friday evening.

Overnight in Casper, then guided horseback riding in Riverton. Charging (albeit, not supercharging) plans at possibly the Breadboard and/or the destination charger at the Riverton Hampton Inn.

Overnight in Riverton, then Sunday morning to Thermopolis for white water rafting and hot springs. No chargers, but apparently you can plug-in your mobile charger at Eagle RV Park with 14-50 adaptor for Level 2 speeds.

Overnight in Thermopolis, then back to the Denver airport Monday to get everyone else on their way back home. I'm hoping a Rawlins supercharger sess on the way south will suffice for that.

I'm a little nervous that the lack of supercharging options might hinder freedom of activity in and around Riverton and Thermopolis, but I'm also secretly hoping it'll be a non-issue.

The key is being able to get a full charge in Riverton. If you do that you should be fine.

Also, according to Google Maps, it's less distance (and even less time) to drive from Thermopolis to Denver via Casper, not Rawlins. I can understand not wanting to retrace your exact same path on the way home, but if you are short on charge, this is the route you should take. Riverton to Thermopolis to the supercharger in Evansville (Casper) is 191 miles. That should be doable so if you can get that full charge in Riverton, you should be good.

Sounds like fun! We charged at the eagle RV park in Thermopolis once - great spot and super nice hosts, but not within easy walking distance of the hot springs unfortunately. If you get desperate, I hear the state park maintenance shop also has a 14-50, but you’d have to inquire directly for potential access.

Following up on plusev’s comment, you could shorten the drive by going the other direction (go there via Rawlins and back via Casper), but it sounds like you may have other reasons to overnight in Casper.

Enjoy the trip!

Reactions: theorama
The key is being able to get a full charge in Riverton. If you do that you should be fine.

Also, according to Google Maps, it's less distance (and even less time) to drive from Thermopolis to Denver via Casper, not Rawlins. I can understand not wanting to retrace your exact same path on the way home, but if you are short on charge, this is the route you should take. Riverton to Thermopolis to the supercharger in Evansville (Casper) is 191 miles. That should be doable so if you can get that full charge in Riverton, you should be good.

Sounds like fun! We charged at the eagle RV park in Thermopolis once - great spot and super nice hosts, but not within easy walking distance of the hot springs unfortunately. If you get desperate, I hear the state park maintenance shop also has a 14-50, but you’d have to inquire directly for potential access.

Following up on plusev’s comment, you could shorten the drive by going the other direction (go there via Rawlins and back via Casper), but it sounds like you may have other reasons to overnight in Casper.

Enjoy the trip!

Great suggestions, thanks to both of you! I was looking at some of the individual distances and not the trip as a whole, but you're both right. I'll stick to the I-25 since that seems to 7 minutes shorter.

I'll come back and relay my experiences afterwards.

Reporting back after picking up some friends flying in from Canada, and road tripping to Riverton/Thermopolis:

Starting from a ~95% charge in Laramie Friday morning, the plan was to pick up three passengers from the Denver Airport, then head up the I-25 all the way to Casper. Of course, best laid plans.... on the way out of Denver, we realized I'd forgotten my Bluetooth speaker. So, up the 287, back to Laramie, along with a ~15 min stop at the Laramie supercharger.

Getting into Casper by way of Med Bow, I stopped for another ~15 min stop at Hat Six supercharger that evening. On the road again early Sat. morning, got us into Riverton, for a guided horseback trail. Had more than enough charge for putting around Riverton afterwards, but I did charge to 95% again at the Riverton destination charger in the evening.

In the morning, we hit the road for Thermopolis, and spent most of the day on the rivers. Again, plenty of charge to putz around afterwards, including the hot springs. Charged again to 95% at Eagle RV in the evening.

The only wrinkle in the morning was one of my friends realized he left his eReader at the hotel in Riverton: so, back to Riverton! That meant our return route had to pass through Rawlins, and reversed our route through Laramie --> 287 --> Owl Canyon --> I-25. We did not another 15 mins supercharging in Rawlins, and then again in Loveland.

Tl;dr - I probably really overly conservative with the charging and range, and probably could have spent less time supercharging especially if we hadn't forgotten the Bluetooth speaker and the eReader. The lowest charge I had the entire trip was I think about 14% pulling into Loveland. Despite the mid-Wyoming desert of superchargers, we probably would have been more than fine with the Level 2 options. But even then, the supercharging didn't add a huge amount of time to the driving. Overall, range was more than sufficient, at least for this spring/summer driving, and everyone had a blast!!

Hi all, we've soft opened a Freewire Boost 200kW charger in Dubois and a 120kW charger in Lander. The Lander charger has a 200A max current cable, so for most Teslas, I believe this will max out at 96kW. We plan on making CCS -> Tesla adapters available at each site soon, but at the moment you will need your own adapters.

We also will have a charger in Pinedale soon too!

Dubois: Dubois Museum | Dubois, WY | EV Station
Lander: Fremont County Pioneer Museum | Lander, WY | EV Station