Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Owners in Wyoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For service and deliveries to Laramie, why SLC rather than Fort Collins or Denver? Maybe Superior, CO being out of commission played a role? Anyway, congrats on the new M3LR and thanks for representing cleaner transportation in coal country. Hopefully, eastern Wyoming can find prosperity in something besides coal.

I’m afraid I can’t help you with a SE Wyoming club but I’m curious if SLC offers mobile service to Laramie. Our first couple years of ownership our mobile technician came out of SLC but then Tesla switched and the mobile tech is based in Boise which is about !00 miles further than SLC.
Oooh, I didn't think to ask while we were there. Knock on wood we won't have to....

For service and deliveries to Laramie, why SLC rather than Fort Collins or Denver? Maybe Superior, CO being out of commission played a role? Anyway, congrats on the new M3LR and thanks for representing cleaner transportation in coal country. Hopefully, eastern Wyoming can find prosperity in something besides coal.
We were never given the option. At ordering, the only pick-up location presented was SLC. And then, when scheduling pick up, we were just grateful enough to have it set for a weekend given the 6hr drive from Laradise to bring it up.

We also didn't notice until afterwards, but that also meant our temporary tags are Utah registered. Can anyone tell me: does this mean a more involved process doing vehicle registration as an out-of-state plate? We've only ever gotten plates for vehicles that were already registered in Wyoming.

Oh, one more question for all y'all: attach the front licence plate bracket or no?

Oooh, I didn't think to ask while we were there. Knock on wood we won't have to....

We were never given the option. At ordering, the only pick-up location presented was SLC. And then, when scheduling pick up, we were just grateful enough to have it set for a weekend given the 6hr drive from Laradise to bring it up.

We also didn't notice until afterwards, but that also meant our temporary tags are Utah registered. Can anyone tell me: does this mean a more involved process doing vehicle registration as an out-of-state plate? We've only ever gotten plates for vehicles that were already registered in Wyoming.

Oh, one more question for all y'all: attach the front licence plate bracket or no?
I got my 2019 Model S from SLC in May 2019. I've had mobile service 3 times (Voice command button quit working, battery replacement, recall notice on the frunk latch) since then and it's always out of Boise. They are awesome!

My plates also were temp from Utah. Not an issue when registering in Wyoming.

I put on the front plate bracket. Required (although often ignored) in Wyoming, but I figure, why give law enforcement a reason to pull me over?

Tim

I got my 2019 Model S from SLC in May 2019. I've had mobile service 3 times (Voice command button quit working, battery replacement, recall notice on the frunk latch) since then and it's always out of Boise. They are awesome!

My plates also were temp from Utah. Not an issue when registering in Wyoming.

I put on the front plate bracket. Required (although often ignored) in Wyoming, but I figure, why give law enforcement a reason to pull me over?

Tim

Hey Tim, thanks for the info (and, Hoback: that Hoback Market is the greatest little grocery store!)

I'd also prefer not to give LEOs a reason to stop me. But I've also read that some people have had issues with sticky tape on the stock front plate mount. I don't know if this is the same for the MS. I see a few people have recommended quick release or otherwise grill mounted plates - but I'd also be worried about damaging the grill, blocking the proper airflow, and/or losing a plate on a quick release mount to thieves. I guess I've got until we get the vehicle registration in the mail to figure it out.

In other news, I topped up a bit of charge at the Laramie Supercharger last night, and it was BUSTLING... with out-of-state Teslas.

We took delivery of our 2019 in Las Vegas so we had Nevada temp tags. No problem registering in Wyoming. The whole point of temp tags is to avoid paying sales tax in the state where you take delivery. I removed our front plate holder, as has everyone in Jackson, and never had a problem. An interesting side note, Wyoming law says a front tag is required “if the vehicle is equipped with a front holder”. So my defense, if stopped, is that I have no front tag holder. 😊

Reactions: theorama
We took delivery of our 2019 in Las Vegas so we had Nevada temp tags. No problem registering in Wyoming. The whole point of temp tags is to avoid paying sales tax in the state where you take delivery. I removed our front plate holder, as has everyone in Jackson, and never had a problem. An interesting side note, Wyoming law says a front tag is required “if the vehicle is equipped with a front holder”. So my defense, if stopped, is that I have no front tag holder. 😊

Googling "Wyoming front plate requirement" gave me this: Rawlins catching up with state’s front plate regulations | Bigfoot 99 Radio
I guess state law has a "if equipped" loophole, municipal ordinance might be hit or miss?

I did notice that the front plate replies so far have been Model S owners (while I'm in lowly M3 😊)

Front Plate Mount S.png

If this is the front plate mount for the S, it actually looks a *lot* better than the stock 3, which is black plastic. I found this article that claims the Model S's always have to be delivered with the front plate mount attached due to NHTSA (who knows if that's true though) Tesla Front License Plate Holder — Why On Model S But Not Model X?.

I think I'd be a lot less disinclined to the front plate mount if it matched the body. As is, I'm probably leaning towards one of the quick-release mounts (eg - Quick Bandit - Model 3 license plate mount | 1975creations). No, officer, don't look twice at the car as I'm blasting down the I-80...

Googling "Wyoming front plate requirement" gave me this: Rawlins catching up with state’s front plate regulations | Bigfoot 99 Radio
I guess state law has a "if equipped" loophole, municipal ordinance might be hit or miss?
Very interesting. My guess, and it’s a WAG, is that local officers treat the lack of a front plate as a secondary offense, i.e. if they stop you for something else they may tack on a ticket for no front plate. But I doubt they would treat it as a primary, stoppable, offense and I sure hope no LEO from Jackson is reading this thread. 😊

An interesting side note, Wyoming law says a front tag is required “if the vehicle is equipped with a front holder”.

I did not know this! I moved here in 1999 and was told the front plate was mandatory (as it was in Texas, where I came from), so I didn't question it. Think my front plate might be getting loose and could fall off, who knows? Car definitely looks better without the front plate.

Reactions: rhumbliner
Hello from Colorado. Seems like WY front license plate law is similar to Colorado:

front license plate be mounted horizontally on the front in the location designated by the manufacturer

Well, the Model 3 and Model Y don't have a "location designated by the manufacturer" which can partial explain why so many 3/Y in Colorado don't have a front license plate.

Cowboy state daily is full of spin in favor of the fossil fuel industry. They frequently use old statistics or flat out opinion as some form of rationalization. I live in the middle of Wyoming and find very little compromise, but do think it would be wise to increase the charging footprint. It would certainly help with tourist traffic and revenue.

Reactions: Tinkerin