Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other person opening our car trunk accidentally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Model 3 owner, had his identical Model 3 (same color & wheel covers as ours) parked 50 feet from our car. He walked up to OUR car and, with his cell phone app, successfully opened OUR trunk and OUR driver's side door. Fortunately we were walking just 30 feet behind him to witness it. I then tried opening his car door - to no avail) Has anyone else experienced this? and if so, any solutions?

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic
If it was indeed a duplicate BT address then the phone brand doesnt matter.
BT address is not all the car uses to unlock. If it was, you wouldn't need to have the app running to unlock the car, and if you factory reset your phone, the car would still unlock.

unless Tesla made a HUGE batch of cars with the same BT address
The phone does not decide if the car unlocks. The car does. The BT address of the car is irrelevant.

Also, this experience reinforces the benefit of having a PIN code, which we’d already set up.
Except you have no data to show the car would have been able to drive.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Thanks to you and everyone else for all your responses. I’m closing up this thread for now. If I do find something definitive, I’ll post it. There’s a slim chance we might even see the other driver again.
Also, this experience reinforces the benefit of having a PIN code, which we’d already set up.

(moderator note)

Since you requested here to "close up the thread", and there doesnt appear to be a definitive statement related to someone else using the tesla app to open your vehicle as was previously stated, I am going to lock (close up) the thread.

If you find something definitive and desire to post about it, please open up another thread.

Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.