Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Sort of Infrastructure Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought as a new EV owner, 2 full months in a Model 3 except for the 8 days in a loaner Model Y, and that’s more infrastructure is needed. I’m not talking about anything electrical necessarily but sidewalks and other similar amenities. I’m not terribly fond of plugging in and charging for 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes and just sitting in the car. I haven’t used that many super chargers or destination chargers but a good percentage of the ones I have visited aren’t in areas conducive to walking around without it being difficult or awkward. A sidewalk to be able to stroll around the block would be nice!

I haven't charged away from home all that often, but I don't think I've seen a supercharger in a lonely spot yet. I've used or seen (super)chargers at malls, parking garages in the city, airports, the zoo, the hospital, the veterinarian(!), a in a small town nearby in a public parking lot a short walk from their main thoroughfare.

I imagine if I ever get stuck at a supercharger in a place I don't have somewhere to be, I'll just turn on Netflix.

Most L2 chargers and L3 Superchargers are located near a mall or a shopping center,
however I agree that some chargers locations, especially L2 chargers are located in areas
where it is not comfortable to be after normal business hours.

Before I got my own plug in my garage, I was relaying on some local L2 chargers
but those were often used during the day so I had to charge at night and staying in my car
or walking back and force to my home at night was somehow sometime scary.

With the increasing popularity of EVs, more and more charger locations start to be more convivial
and provide some amenities beside having basic restrooms if any.

The following articles I think could of some interest as solution to your inquiry:

(you can jump directly to the 6:00 mark to review amenities provided)​

Just a thought as a new EV owner, 2 full months in a Model 3 except for the 8 days in a loaner Model Y, and that’s more infrastructure is needed. I’m not talking about anything electrical necessarily but sidewalks and other similar amenities. I’m not terribly fond of plugging in and charging for 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes and just sitting in the car. I haven’t used that many super chargers or destination chargers but a good percentage of the ones I have visited aren’t in areas conducive to walking around without it being difficult or awkward. A sidewalk to be able to stroll around the block would be nice!
Ummmmm, could you perhaps give us an example of which particular one you are talking about that you have experienced that was bad like this? Like @Sophias_dad was saying, I haven't really experienced that. I've used over 60 locations in 20+ states, and I can think of maybe 1 or 2 that were not very good for walking around.

Ummmmm, could you perhaps give us an example of which particular one you are talking about that you have experienced that was bad like this? Like @Sophias_dad was saying, I haven't really experienced that. I've used over 60 locations in 20+ states, and I can think of maybe 1 or 2 that were not very good for walking around.
I didn’t say bad I said difficult or awkward. Two examples based on my experience are Wytheville, VA (back of Holiday Inn Express) and Columbus (Polaris), OH (have to cross grass or walk across a parking lot where people tend to drive fast and don’t expect walkers).
I also don’t think this is Tesla’s to solve. If the site that is hosting the charger wants people to not sit in their car while charging and to visit a nearby business then they could make it easier to do so. Now if I only needed a 10 minute stop then that really isn’t enough time but for a longer stop that would make a difference. Its really a minor annoyance and one that I had with parking lots before electric cars were a thing as well.

Rocky Mount, NC is another example. Very little to do, and the hotel staff were distinctly unfriendly when I tried to get a cup of coffee. At least there was grass to walk the dog, but alas many other visitors had not picked up after their furry friends which made the experience somewhat hazardous.

I guess my hope is that as the transition to EVs gathers pace, and the charging network gets further built out, this will become less and less of an issue. It’s still early days, really.

I'm sorry, but your experience does not invalidate his experience. Glad your experience has been such sunshine and rainbows, but why does that mean someone else with the opposite opinion isn't also correct?

Let's look at the superchagers I've used in the Houston / Dallas corridor.

Some are good. Some are ok. Some are less than ideal.

Houston North Service Center. Located at a huge industrial building on the I-45 Frontage road. Nothing around except a Sunoco / Convenience store next door (no sidewalk, you have to walk through the grass). If you want, about 1/2 mile South on the frontage road. No sidewalks, three lane frontage road with a 45 MPH limit, travel speeds in the 60's. Yeah, looks fun.

North Supercharger.jpg

Houston NW, 290.

This one's "not bad". Located at a well lit Rudy's Country Store BBQ and gas station combo. But if you don't want BBQ, you're SOL.

Houston / Sugarland

This one's good. Also located at a Rudy's, it's off a quieter office park road, and there's a Freddy's and a Taco Bell right next door. 1/4 mile away, with sidewalks this time, there's a Doner Kabob place and a Wingstop. This is about as good as it gets around here.

Houston / Webster

This one's also bad. It's on the I10 Service road at a Holiday Inn Express. There is a Whataburger 3/4 miles away, but again, no sidewalks on the Freeway Access road. And the Whataburger is past the Supercharger, meaning you'd need to do two u-turns to go to the Whataburger first then go back.

Webster Supercharger.jpg

Houston / Westchase Supercharger

Best option in the city. Located in town and within walking distance of a few things.

Huntsville

This one rates pretty bad. It's located at the back of a Holiday Inn Express, often ICED, and while there is a sidewalk and a nearby McDonalds and Scholotzky's Deli, the sidewalk is practically on the frontage road, and there's something of a hill.

Huntsville Supercharger.jpg

Corsicana:

This one is decent. Located at a (slowly declining) Colin St. Bakery, at least this one has options within walking distance. Sidewalks pretty hit-or-miss but the roadway isn't terribly busy.

Corsicana Supercharger.jpg

So, very hit or miss. More miss than hit.