Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTR service station EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two OTR service stations at different stages of planning with EV charging included in the plans.

The first is at Yass opposite the existing service centre and is approved and construction is probably starting soon. The original plan did not include EV charging but an amendment here shows the addition of two EV charging stalls.

Screenshot_20230326-224624.png

Screenshot_20230326-224520.png

Given the key highway location a bit disappointing that it is only two stalls.

The second is for Goulburn in the north area of the town. The DA is no longer on exhibition but it is for an OTR service station. The electric vehicle charging location is shown as two stalls on the plan here in the bottom left.

Exhibition of plan start started during week of 30 Jan 2023. Not sure when it finished and would be now under some stage of assessment.
Screenshot_20230326-231612.png

Screenshot_20230326-233041.png

This seems to be a local service station not intended for highway traffic. It is in the north part of town well away from the main road through town and on a fairly minor road out of town only really for locals going to Crookwell or those wanting a scenic winding route through to Bathurst.

I think it is good to see even a new local service station getting EV charging stalls right from the planning stage here and here two is probably appropriate.

These are likely BP Pulse sites though OTR chain is a bit unusual in that they use different fuel providers at different times. A lot of thier exisiting sites are BP branded fuel, some are OTR fuel branded and a few of the newer ones are Caltex branded fuel outlets, the new Caltex brand not the old Caltex that reverted to Ampol.
Not sure if all the current BP Pulse sites are BP owned stores or if some are there franchised stores. Will be interesting to see which network these EV chargers end up being. The Yass one might end up being soon enough now that at least site prep has started, the Goulburn one is not yet approved and sometimes these things languish and other times move on quick enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-230439.png
    Screenshot_20230326-230439.png
    507.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Website_DA_0229_2223_Plans_1-Franklin-Street_Ganter-Constructions_20221124-2-1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
There are two OTR service stations at different stages of planning with EV charging included in the plans.

The second is for Goulburn in the north area of the town. The DA is no longer on exhibition but it is for an OTR service station. The electric vehicle charging location is shown as two stalls on the plan here in the bottom left.

Exhibition of plan start started during week of 30 Jan 2023. Not sure when it finished and would be now under some stage of assessment.

The DA tracker says
Stage/DecisionAdditional Information requested

Google still has the application page cached, and the links to the PDFs still work

I had no idea there was already an OTR in NSW!

Last edited:
Another three OTR sites in WA with EV chargers in the service stations plans.

Bunbury with 4 EV stalls
Screenshot_20230327-091421.png

Plan includes shading.

And two sites in Perth, Wanneroo and Vincent, each with 2 EV chargers,

Reactions: Hairyman and B3AU
And the original brand seems to have been licensed from ExxonMobil

The Yass site looks like it will have a Hungry Jack's in it, but agree 2 EV charging spots of 45 or so is a bit light.

The Goulburn site looks a lot smaller.
I have a feeling that Wikipedia article needs a cleanup.
Yes, they started with Mobil sites with On The Run shops, but the OTR brand is their own creation and a separate entity.

Very interesting news... any insight/clues as to whether this is OTR's own brand/network, or they're hosting for others? They host Tesla sites in Tailem Bend and Mt Gambier; the Yass 2-stall site could be Evie. The Wanneroo site in WA could be Evie's 350 kW Joondalup site. Or as @RichardV suggests, they could be BP Pulse sites.

Very interesting news... any insight/clues as to whether this is OTR's own brand/network, or they're hosting for others? They host Tesla sites in Tailem Bend and Mt Gambier; the Yass 2-stall site could be Evie. The Wanneroo site in WA could be Evie's 350 kW Joondalup site. Or as @RichardV suggests, they could be BP Pulse sites.
I have only really looked at Yass and Goulburn in detail. I had though BP because one of the flashy reports on Goulburn had a photos of a BP logoed service station. But that actually seems inconsistent with the rest of the proposal. I am thinking now the OTR Goulburn will be OTR branded fuel as the registered signage is of OTR and not BP and that the glossy photo in another report was just a copy and paste from previous such reports.
1679895833263.png

Similar for Yass the plans detailing the signing seem to indicate OTR
1679895722800.png

This might lend more to them doing the own OTR branding chargers or partnering with someone else and I guess this could still even be BP. But I now think it is very much an unknown.

Attachments

• 1679895773184.png
    1679895773184.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Hairyman
Screenshot_20230327-182058.png

Screenshot_20230327-183858.png
Screenshot_20230327-183956.png

Diagram extracts from Bunbury relevant to EV charging stations.

Seems like they plan, at least for Bunbury, on using individual Tritium units, RTM 50/75.
This does not match the strategy that BP have been using by installing PKM modular Tritium units. So this would point away from it being a BP install, though not definitive.

Reactions: cafz

The OTR proposed in North Perth (City of Vincent) is struggling to be approved. It's on an old petrol station site and they are now trying to change the town planning scheme to not allow petrol stations at all to support their current refusal of the DA.

There has been some ammendments to the plans and these are the latest going to community consultation

Side note, for any new petrol station DA's, it should be a mandatory condition to install EV chargers. At least one EV stall for each proposed petrol bowser.

I disagree. Servos, especially in suburban areas, are usually horrible places to visit and somewhere you do not want to spend any length of time at if charging an EV.

EV chargers should be put in locations where people would ordinarily want to stop for 20-40 minutes anyway. Locations with amenities (toilets, food options, tables and chairs) or locations that are ancillary to some other activity (shopping centres, galleries/theatres, tourist locations).

EV chargers at highway service centres are generally fine because they meet the first criteria.

This is why I don't use any of the service station chargers in Sydney. EV charging should fit into an existing routine as much as possible and eliminate specifically stopping for fuel altogether. Important caveat is on road trips, but you can mostly fit charging into a stop revive survive break every 2 hours. Highway service centres are usually more of a rest stop that just happens to sell fuel.

Reactions: Vostok and paulp
Classy stuff

Side note, for any new petrol station DA's, it should be a mandatory condition to install EV chargers. At least one EV stall for each proposed petrol bowser.
I’d sooner see groups like supermarkets, a certain large hardware chain, and big box retailers install charging in their carparks. Not sure why a yone would want to sit around at a servo with all the fumes and odours

I’d sooner see groups like supermarkets, a certain large hardware chain, and big box retailers install charging in their carparks. Not sure why a yone would want to sit around at a servo with all the fumes and odours
While it clearly isn't a consideration in Yass Junction or North Goulburn, Uber drivers prefer to charge at servos. 24 hour access, coffee, sandwiches, no complex driveway labyrinths to negotiate, a bathroom (usually), and somewhere to kick back and watch YouTube once or twice a day. And they're a reliable customerbase, with ~350 Polestars leased to rideshare drivers via Splend, often to drivers who live in shared housing or older rental flats, who usually can't charge at home.

I gravitate towards BP at Wiley Park nowadays. It's right next door to a Hungry Jacks with 24 hour toilets, on a main road. It's a fast in-and-out charging & meal stop. Evie Networks at Croydon would be good for the exact same reasons, except that it's much, much slower. Hungry Jacks at Cabramatta West (Evie Networks) doesn't have 24 hour toilets, and I'm not sure about McDonalds at Revesby (BP).

Back on topic, Yass Junction northbound will have a Hungry Jacks in the complex, as well as a truckies choke-n-puke. It's worthwhile. Just as worthwhile as the Marulan BP sites are.

Last edited: