Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTR service station EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d sooner see groups like supermarkets, a certain large hardware chain, and big box retailers install charging in their carparks. Not sure why a yone would want to sit around at a servo with all the fumes and odours

I'm not sure i want to charge at Bunnings at 11pm. I think a 24/7 services location is more useful. Lets be honest, fossil fuels are still part of all our lives.

I'm not sure i want to charge at Bunnings at 11pm. I think a 24/7 services location is more useful. Lets be honest, fossil fuels are still part of all our lives.
I dont charge at 11pm, and for me charging at a retailer would make sense. I think its as moa999 said just above, a variety is key. Servo’s (which will change name to convenience stores), retail locations, kerbside, tourist destinations…etc all have a reason to provide ev connection

If going to Bunnings at 11 pm is part of your routine it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is any fuel stops that are not part of a road trip, that don't fit into an existing routine. For the millions of Australians who can charge at home, routine 11 pm charging will look like plugging into a charger in their garage (including apartments where charging has been installed).
For everyone else with a routine of going to Bunnings on a Sunday for some window shopping and a snag, it makes sense to AC charging to be installed as it is low cost, so the utilisation of a DC charger isn't as important.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Servo chain OTR to be sold for $1.15 billion in move to 'replace' Coles Express across 700 sites

Servo chain OTR to be sold for $1.15 billion in move to 'replace' Coles Express across 700 sites

So, I wonder if we might see charging appearing at these sites in the cities soonish too.
The most illuminating comment is:
“As our stores increasingly become retail destinations, we expect convenience earnings will grow and reduce our dependency on traditional fuels," he said.
This shows an understanding of the way liquid fuel sales will go, which will need to be replaced by charging to attract customers.

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
The Coles Express brand was always going to go once Viva completed the purchase from Coles.
Makes sense they went with OTR since from the ones i've been to, they tend to be very good stores.

Since they'll probably be Shell branded sites with OTR shops, maybe they'll bring in the Shell Recharge branding to Australia?

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Interesting also the comments that the brand will be replacing Coles Express.
I wonder if that is signalling the end of the fuel discounts.
Apparently fuel discounts (and Coles products!) were sticking around post sale; it would just be the 'Coles Express' branding going.

The supermarket giant’s decision to exit the space will also see $816 million worth of leases transferred off its balance sheet. While Coles will keep supplying its products to the convenience stores and keep its fuel discount docket program going, the move will see the ‘Coles Express’ brand erased over the next three and a half years.

Also in that article....

That extension of services includes expanding electric vehicle charging stations and hydrogen refuelling across the site network, as well as expanding food and drink offers and adding additional features like smart lockers for parcel delivery at more sites.

Wyatt said the purchase would also allow Viva to redevelop the store network, which is currently made up of a mix of new stores and smaller fuel stations, which are up to 40 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Looks like OTR are expanding into Tasmania. (Edit: The elevation diagrams in the documents show OTR branding)

Application with the Devonport City Council for a new site, with 2x EV charging bays marked (no further detail that I can see):

41°10'44.0"S 146°20'24.8"E · 171 Steele St, Devonport TAS 7310, Australia

https://www.devonport.tas.gov.au/do...6/attachments-council-meeting-22-may-2023.pdf

1684391240714.png

1684391318088.png

Reactions: RichardV
Also, apparently not OTR's first in Tas - according to the article that caused me to investigate (but I didn't pay attention to the article itself) -

Council votes on OTR service station plans for Kerrisons Corner | The… -
If approved, it would be Devonport's second OTR service station complex, with the first given the green light by the council on Formby Road.

Just dug up some some info on the first one - approved in January - no EV chargers spaces marked: https://www.devonport.tas.gov.au/do...50/agenda-council-meeting-23-january-2023.pdf

Reactions: B3AU and RichardV
Still can't quite believe people are putting money into new build petrol station sites in 2023.

From an ethical viewpoint, yes, but from a money-making viewpoint, servos will make money for quite a while yet.

It’s taken Norway 12 years to get the BEV fleet to 30%, meaning even there 70% of vehicles still purchase fossil fuels. The BEV fleet here is 0.5%. Fair to say there is a loooooong way to go.