Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottawa Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my delivery date (aka pick-up date) confirmed today -- June 7 @ 13:45 at International Centre. Now to figure out arrangements for getting there (my wife is trying to decide if she is coming as well, but doesn't want to talk about it yet until closer to the date).

Okay, so now the big question is - is there anything we need to do to make sure the drive back to Ottawa is uneventful? I assume we will need to supercharge at least once? Is the payment for supercharger going to be all set up by the time we are good to leave the pickup center? What else should we consider for the 'trial by fire' trip home?

Supercharger system should be set up. Confirm with your DS.
I’m planning on charging in Port Hope for a quick charge then maybe Kingston for dinner & charge.
Remember that you will use up more energy that just the driving range. AC and other things also use energy, so don’t cut it too close. I got caught with 9kms left driving during a cold winter trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Alby
Okay, so now the big question is - is there anything we need to do to make sure the drive back to Ottawa is uneventful? I assume we will need to supercharge at least once? Is the payment for supercharger going to be all set up by the time we are good to leave the pickup center? What else should we consider for the 'trial by fire' trip home?

Also take note of what your battery is at when you get the vehicle; I suspect it won't be charged over 80%, which means definitely will need to charge on the way back to avoid cutting it too close. Also the range estimate likely won't be reading based on your driving as it won't have had anything (of note) to measure with.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: akidesir and Alby
Just booked my train tickets -- flights were notably more expensive (3x) for the day I'm scheduled to pick up (June 7). And, although it takes a bit longer, at least I can work for 4 hours on the train, and thus only book a half-day off work instead... :)

I find VIA is super comfy and relaxing, and you can use Wi-Fi as soon as you get on (compare that to a plane!)

Reactions: rdturner0
Received my delivery call around noon. Was given July 5th - 10th to pick from, and settled on the 7th. Ended up going with an easy $54 train ride from Ottawa to Toronto in the morning.

Coincidentally they called shortly after updating my Insurance to ✅.

Received my delivery call around noon. Was given July 5th - 10th to pick from, and settled on the 7th. Ended up going with an easy $54 train ride from Ottawa to Toronto in the morning.

Congrats! Im still waiting for that call, I spoke with them last Wednesday and haven't heard anything since. Maybe because I told them that I wanted to finance instead of paying cash. Who knows.

Do you mean June 5th-10th? That seems like a large discrepancy from all the dates people are given in Ontario..

Delivery finally scheduled for Jun 5th, at 3:45. All was done by person in CA.
@ Liquidmetal101:
Try communicating with AutoFinance people. They are super positive and helpful. And they respond very quickly.If you've got your VIN, simply asked them to connect you with the person whose taking care of your file/delivery. I softly complain to them, because for any question I was asking my DA in CA, I was getting not available automatic reply email with new dates. Within couple of hours I received an apology and received 3 hours delivery windows to choose from. Each appointment is 30 minutes long.

Reactions: Liquidmetal101
Delivery finally scheduled for Jun 5th, at 3:45. All was done by person in CA.
@ Liquidmetal101:
Try communicating with AutoFinance people. They are super positive and helpful. And they respond very quickly.If you've got your VIN, simply asked them to connect you with the person whose taking care of your file/delivery. I softly complain to them, because for any question I was asking my DA in CA, I was getting not available automatic reply email with new dates. Within couple of hours I received an apology and received 3 hours delivery windows to choose from. Each appointment is 30 minutes long.
We received an email late last night from our DS asking about green plates and financing. The financing portal opened up and we were approved a few hours later. I have a few questions for TeslaFinance about payments, etc. Will call them when the open later this morning.

Hey guys, had a question about my EV charger install in my garage, I had Watson Electric (Ottawa) come out to give an estimate a couple weeks back and they said it would be no problem to install a Nema 14-50. I was then told by email yesterday that they wouldn't be able to install that outlet unless I upgraded my box or install a load shedder ($945). They recommended a Nema 6-20 outlet and order a Tesla adapter ($44) which would be a much slower charge but would save on the install. Not sure I want such a slow charge. Im waiting back to hear how much it would cost to upgrade my 100amps to 200. What do you guys think?

- Reserved online March 31, 2016
- Configured & ordered April 12
- Delivery June 12 at the International Centre
Hey guys, had a question about my EV charger install in my garage, I had Watson Electric (Ottawa) come out to give an estimate a couple weeks back and they said it would be no problem to install a Nema 14-50. I was then told by email yesterday that they wouldn't be able to install that outlet unless I upgraded my box or install a load shedder ($945). They recommended a Nema 6-20 outlet and order a Tesla adapter ($44) which would be a much slower charge but would save on the install. Not sure I want such a slow charge. Im waiting back to hear how much it would cost to upgrade my 100amps to 200. What do you guys think?
I’m in a similar situation. Was given a quote from Watson of $1,300ish (including the load shedder due to 100amps max), $500ish for labour, $100ish for ESA with the total of $2,200ish. I was also told that upgrading from 100amps to 200amps is a significant cost, between $3,000-$5,000 depending on where your box to your meter, etc.

Just wondering if there is a need for a load shedder since I’ll be charging the M3 after 7pm and the house’s load should be low after that time. Also, I’ll be mindful not to charge the M3 when using the dryer or stove. Do you think that it’ll pass inspection if I just install an additional 40amps breaker for the charger? My maximum amperage is 100amps, with 30 for a/c, 30 for dryer and 40 for stove.

Back in May 2016, I had Watson Electric do my panel upgrade to 200A. They did a very good job. To save costs, I actually kept my original 100A panel as sub-panel, which connected to a new 200A panel at the service entry in my garage. I also had to digg a 3-4 feet deep hole myself to install a 200A compliant ground plate. The service upgrade costed me about $2200 (including 1K with Hydro Ottawa for the connect/disconnect).

Now my house is EV proof. On top of the 100A breaker for the house, I have a 100A breaker to the HPWC and two 50A ones for NEMA 14-50s, so I could charge three EVs simultaneously. Given I don't intent to move any time soon, was willing to do the investment.

• Informative
Watson didn't seem to know what they were doing for my install. Told me I needed a new panel when nobody else did. So either they are way better than everyone else or way worse. Judging by the competence of the guy that came to do the estimate, I decided way worse, but ymmv.

Did you get any other quotes?

Watson didn't seem to know what they were doing for my install. Told me I needed a new panel when nobody else did. So either they are way better than everyone else or way worse. Judging by the competence of the guy that came to do the estimate, I decided way worse, but ymmv.

Did you get any other quotes?

I have 100A service, my electrician gave me a quote for $930 (40A) however if the ESA inspector says it's too much I'm going to see if ESA would agree to 30A breaker , worse case I'll need a load shedder (another $800-900) ... still way cheaper then putting in 200A where I live... Below is the Tesla table on their US support site.. A Model 3 charges significantly faster than the S or X and I plan to put it on timer to only start at night (e.g. 11PM). Even at 30A breaker Model 3 chargers at average of 22 miles (35 klm) per hour, so if it charges 8 hours (11pm-7AM) for example that's 280 klm range.... more than enough 95+ % of the time for me...
upload_2018-5-23_14-6-27.png

• Informative