Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottawa Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my install done today. Went with the guy who offered the lowest price for a simple install utilizing the unused 40A stove circuit/capacity, knowing this may or may not pass inspection but also that he'd done many on 100A services and had them pass, as have other people by the sounds of it. My other quotes recommended 1) full 200A upgrade @ $6k and 2) $2.8k for 40A with load shedder.

As it turned out, it was the local ESA supervisor who came to inspect (usual guy is on vacation) and he wouldn't pass it, expecting the load calculation wouldn't add up. Long and the short of it I agreed to adding in a load shedder which the guy went off and got - I think the proper name is "Charge Controller for Electric Vehicles" - it's a 40A Thermolec DCC-10-40A. This was another $800. I've ended up at about $1600 taxes-in so still a huge saving over any of the quotes I got, and I know this is a good, ESA-approved solution. Getting more than 40A would have been nice but at the price of the service upgrade (or waiting for a higher-rated controller which you can apparently get), it's overkill for me. Now just hoping the ESA pass the revised install!

I'm going to keep an eye on the charger once A/C season starts and see if the controller actually ever powers it off. I won't be surprised if it doesn't but at least I know it's all done right.

Most of the recent comments are related to load calculations. I had my inspection today (passed), and the inspector asked about the load calculation (didn't ask to see the worksheet, but i guess it all sounded reasonable when I described it ), however after introductions, one of the first questions he asked was 'do you have 200 Amp service'.

As I've said in other post, you need to do the load calculation. You can do this yourself. Very few houses with 100A service will be able to put in anything more than 30A. The rules just don't allow it.

My experience with Watson was positive. Of the two quotes I got, seemed to be the only one who understood the actual rules. And the price was fair.

Upgrading of 200A could cost anywhere from $1000-$7000 depending on your situation.

Building code has changed so that newer houses should not be stuck when it comes to adding a single car charger, but homes older than 2 years may not be equipped.

Consider it an investment in the value of your home.

(FWIW, if you want to add solar panels, battery back up, etc, having the larger feed might be important.)

Got my install done today. Went with the guy who offered the lowest price for a simple install utilizing the unused 40A stove circuit/capacity, knowing this may or may not pass inspection but also that he'd done many on 100A services and had them pass, as have other people by the sounds of it. My other quotes recommended 1) full 200A upgrade @ $6k and 2) $2.8k for 40A with load shedder.

As it turned out, it was the local ESA supervisor who came to inspect (usual guy is on vacation) and he wouldn't pass it, expecting the load calculation wouldn't add up. Long and the short of it I agreed to adding in a load shedder which the guy went off and got - I think the proper name is "Charge Controller for Electric Vehicles" - it's a 40A Thermolec DCC-10-40A. This was another $800. I've ended up at about $1600 taxes-in so still a huge saving over any of the quotes I got, and I know this is a good, ESA-approved solution. Getting more than 40A would have been nice but at the price of the service upgrade (or waiting for a higher-rated controller which you can apparently get), it's overkill for me. Now just hoping the ESA pass the revised install!

I'm going to keep an eye on the charger once A/C season starts and see if the controller actually ever powers it off. I won't be surprised if it doesn't but at least I know it's all done right.

Sounds like the same guy that came to my place today...mine passed though, phew. But I'd been very careful with all the details and the load calculation.

Most of the recent comments are related to load calculations. I had my inspection today (passed), and the inspector asked about the load calculation (didn't ask to see the worksheet, but i guess it all sounded reasonable when I described it ), however after introductions, one of the first questions he asked was 'do you have 200 Amp service'.

As I've said in other post, you need to do the load calculation. You can do this yourself. Very few houses with 100A service will be able to put in anything more than 30A. The rules just don't allow it.

My experience with Watson was positive. Of the two quotes I got, seemed to be the only one who understood the actual rules. And the price was fair.

Upgrading of 200A could cost anywhere from $1000-$7000 depending on your situation.

Building code has changed so that newer houses should be stuck when it comes to adding a single car charger, but lost homes older than 2 years may not be equipped.

Consider it an investment in the value of your home.

(FWIW, if you want to add solar panels, battery back up, etc, having the larger feed might be important.)
Also, the load shedding solution was only just written into the 2018 code and put into effect in Ontario a few weeks ago... So timing worked out for that.

Not really. I ended up at nearly half the cost he quoted for the same work. From the other Tesla-approved contractor.
Not really. I ended up at nearly half the cost he quoted for the same work. From the other Tesla-approved contractor.
Any chance you can give me your electricians number? I liked the guys from Watson but if i could get it cheaper id do it. Will have to go with a load shedder install instead of a full 200A upgrade.

Any chance you can give me your electricians number? I liked the guys from Watson but if i could get it cheaper id do it. Will have to go with a load shedder install instead of a full 200A upgrade.

I think it might have been Power It Up (offline conversation with @richyrich) listed in Tesla's list. I tried to get them to quote me also, but they for some reason didn't follow up when I replied via email with possible days for a site visit (I prefer to set things up via email instead of phone -- maybe by phone would be better).

Reactions: Liquidmetal101
I got my delivery date of June 6th today! Yay! :)

So, thinking about how to get to the Toronto International Centre. Some options that come to mind are VIA rail, a one way flight to Pearson, a ride share, etc.

I'm hesitant to book a train ticket or flight though in case my delivery date gets pushed for some reason because I presume that the vehicle is on a train somewhere right now in the U.S. and who knows if it will make it on time.

I'm not that familiar with Toronto but see that the International Centre is right beside Pearson. Is it easy to get there from Union station without an expensive cab ride?

So, thinking about how to get to the Toronto International Centre. Some options that come to mind are VIA rail, a one way flight to Pearson, a ride share, etc.

I'm hesitant to book a train ticket or flight though in case my delivery date gets pushed for some reason because I presume that the vehicle is on a train somewhere right now in the U.S. and who knows if it will make it on time.

I'm not that familiar with Toronto but see that the International Centre is right beside Pearson. Is it easy to get there from Union station without an expensive cab ride?
Good news. The day before my pickup (I had the option of the 6th, but Wednesdays are busy days and I had something I needed to be back for early evening).

Union to the airport by cab would be expensive I think. Cheaper to take the UP Express ($13 one way) and then cab from the airport.

I've booked train (Ottawa -> Union -> Airport) and plan to cab it from the air port to International Centre. Leaving myself over >1.5 hours from Union in case of delays, etc.

Good news. The day before my pickup (I had the option of the 6th, but Wednesdays are busy days and I had something I needed to be back for early evening).

Union to the airport by cab would be expensive I think. Cheaper to take the UP Express ($13 one way) and then cab from the airport.

I've booked train (Ottawa -> Union -> Airport) and plan to cab it from the air port to International Centre. Leaving myself over >1.5 hours from Union in case of delays, etc.

Good plan! I was also given the option of the 6th or 7th and wanted to go with as early as possible due to the election incentive uncertainty.

Thank you! I might do the same although I see that Air Canada has 15% off right now so just $171. I'm quite frugal so will probably walk from Pearson to the International Centre lol.

Good plan! I was also given the option of the 6th or 7th and wanted to go with as early as possible due to the election incentive uncertainty.

Thank you! I might do the same although I see that Air Canada has 15% off right now so just $171. I'm quite frugal so will probably walk from Pearson to the International Centre lol.

Train was $66.59 for me (":escape" fare from Fallowfield + UP Express)...there are limited of them available, and of course, if you get rescheduled, it will cost more to change.

Be careful if you walk -- the roads around the airport are a bit unfriendly to pedestrians, and I don't think there is much in the way of sidewalks... IIRC.

You might also be able to find free venue shuttles close by -- I haven't checked, but if you really want to save a few $ and take less time, that might be another approach...

Reactions: Rlhm3

The GO train from Union station to Milton stop . Milton is a 3 min walk to IC... check GO train schedule.. another option is take the express train from union station to Pearson (runs frequently) then hop a cab from Pearson to IC

6th here as well...10:15am delivery...pretty exciting!!!

I think it might have been Power It Up (offline conversation with @richyrich) listed in Tesla's list. I tried to get them to quote me also, but they for some reason didn't follow up when I replied via email with possible days for a site visit (I prefer to set things up via email instead of phone -- maybe by phone would be better).

Yes - Joey at Power It Up. I’m totally happy with the result.

• Informative
Hi Guys I’m really excited for first Ottawa Model 3 Owners and see cars on the road in June!
As for me I made an online reservation in June 2017 and wondering when I get my configuration email? Will I be able to get car delivered before $14 K Ontario rebate will expire? How many people are waiting like me?