Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottawa Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely forgot about the Long Range having a higher on-board charger! Glad I installed a 60A breaker on the Wall Connector just to be safe. Now I can use it to full capacity.

For those wondering, the Standard Range M3 has a 32A on-board charger (40A circuit required) and the Long Range M3 has a 48A on-board charger (60A circuit required).

This means the Standard can charge at roughly 48km/h and the Long Range can do 71km/h at full capacity.

You have a Wall Charger, right? , the onboard charger is only 32amp

By the way 32amp 240v is plenty fast, no need for more
Model 3 Long Range has a 48A onboard charger. Only the Standard Range battery is 32A, which is not available yet. Also, the Tesla HPWC is a "wall connector", not a charger. There is no "wall charger" for Tesla's as that would have to connect to the car via DC.

Kaoru

Hey AaronYOW (and 1step2nogas) - another Aaron in Ottawa here with a model3. Same alarm today in my car on my way to work. The car feels so strange without regen breaking - it really doesn't slow down at all unless you actively brake.

Was tesla able to fix remotely? Did this require a trip to montreal?

Just wondering what I should be preparing myself for

Thanks!

So, my great "honeymoon" period with my Model 3 ended abruptly today. I was driving uneventfully down the road when the car suddenly started flashing what seemed like every warning imaginable:

- Car needs service (steering assist reduced)
- Traction control disabled
- Passenger airbag disabled
- Automatic emergency braking disabled
- Regen braking disabled

So I had no regen braking (odd feeling of no resistance) and what felt like zero steering assist. But the most concerning thing was as soon as I touched the brake, it pulsed rapidly and loudly as if ABS were engaging, but I was barely braking or even when stopped it was doing this. As the car slowed down, I could feel the brakes very roughly pulsing on and off and the car was jerking as I slowed. Luckily I was not far from home, and was able to limp back. I called Tesla roadside assistance and they have scheduled the car to be picked up tomorrow and sent to Tesla Montreal for service Monday morning.

I checked again a few hours later and the warnings had gone. But, at this point I don't think I want to risk driving until Tesla has looked at it. Hoping this gets resolved quickly. I was not expecting a test of Tesla service this early in ownership. But I will post updates here of the experience and how it goes.

Hello! Unfortunately you will most likely have to visit the service centre, but give them a call and speak with them directly about it. Would be good to know what your experience with them is.

My situation seemed quite serious in that not only was regen braking disabled (along with practically everything else) but the actual brakes were not working correctly as well. So I called Tesla roadside assistance and they just scheduled the car to get towed. More than a week later, I still don't have the car back and I've been told that Tesla HQ in Fremont is involved now and they have to sign off before Montreal releases the car back to me.

Hey AaronYOW (and 1step2nogas) - another Aaron in Ottawa here with a model3. Same alarm today in my car on my way to work. The car feels so strange without regen breaking - it really doesn't slow down at all unless you actively brake.

Was tesla able to fix remotely? Did this require a trip to montreal?

Just wondering what I should be preparing myself for

Thanks!

Hello! Unfortunately you will most likely have to visit the service centre, but give them a call and speak with them directly about it. Would be good to know what your experience with them is.

My situation seemed quite serious in that not only was regen braking disabled (along with practically everything else) but the actual brakes were not working correctly as well. So I called Tesla roadside assistance and they just scheduled the car to get towed. More than a week later, I still don't have the car back and I've been told that Tesla HQ in Fremont is involved now and they have to sign off before Montreal releases the car back to me.

@AaronYOW wow, that is serious. I'm glad no-one was hurt. Are they going to deliver the car back to you on flatbed? Did they offer you a loaner?

@AaronYOW wow, that is serious. I'm glad no-one was hurt. Are they going to deliver the car back to you on flatbed? Did they offer you a loaner?

Yes, sounds like they will send it back to me. I haven't been offered a loaner by them, but I am going to request one today and seems like they will accommodate although they may just give me a car (non-electric) from Enterprise or similar. For me that is the only disappointing part of their service so far considering how serious of a problem my car had. I shouldn't have to ask them for a loaner.

Wow, thanks for the info! I'll report back. I wonder if this is a common issue with this car - couldn't find anything on google, but what are the odds of a few people having the same issue in the same city?

I think what is happening with my car must be unusual, as I don't think Tesla HQ gets involved unless it's something they haven't really seen much before. At this point it sounds like Fremont is mostly directing things with my car, giving instructions to Montreal.

Some good news though, I did talk to Tesla Montreal today (the service agent assigned to my car) and they will be sending me a loaner tomorrow. I assume it will be another Tesla (Model S?).

I think what is happening with my car must be unusual, as I don't think Tesla HQ gets involved unless it's something they haven't really seen much before. At this point it sounds like Fremont is mostly directing things with my car, giving instructions to Montreal.

Some good news though, I did talk to Tesla Montreal today (the service agent assigned to my car) and they will be sending me a loaner tomorrow. I assume it will be another Tesla (Model S?).
Great news...sounds like the service centre is slowly but surely taking care of business.

My VIN is 279XX. Although based on names, I wonder if this only affects Aarons :)

So after getting back in the car at the end of the day, it was back to normal. Maybe this is just a software glitch and turning it off and on was the equivalent of blowing on a nintendo game ?

By the time I was going to call Tesla service in montreal they were closed, so I think I just might wait and see if it ever happens again or not.

FYI. I have a Tesla HPWC wired to a 60A circuit. This is a screenshot of the app with my Model 3 connected and charging.

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Informative
Reactions: mrElbe and Anto
@KAN_03 When's the next meet & greet? Andre @ Derand Motorsports said you're organizing the Ottawa Model 3 club :)

Hi Anton, I'm not organizing, Its Daniel Koch from Facebook (Tesla Owners of Ottawa) group was kind enough to organize.

Details:
Tesla RCR Cruise Night

RCR Cruise Nights Wednesday will be hosting the Tesla owners of Ottawa on July 11th.

Cruise on down to the Rideau Carleton Raceway and join us in the North End parking lot (on the back left as you enter from Albion).

Bring your Tesla and make sure it’s clean and ready to show off!

When: July 11 at 4pm to 8pm
4837 Albion Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1X 1A3

LINK to the event: Tesla RCR Cruise Night Wednesday

Attachments

• IMG_3805.jpg
    IMG_3805.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 42