Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottosteer Tesla Model 3 Front License Plate Bracket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I have the magnetic holder. Would a picture help? Tell me what I need to take a picture of.
I mean if you want to just double check you're not getting paint wear - look behind the plate. I was just replying asking if you were actually sure yours is working great as you suspect (i.e. no paint wear)

emailed Ottosteer again with this picture and video and they again havent replied (been over a week). They DID reply about their toll tag mount that doesnt even stay put in the car, so specifically choose to ignore this fatal flaw of their mount.

Update in Ottosteer's defense (as a company): they had somehow missed my first email but replied to another followup.
They issued a full refund even before they were able to see my pictures / video. I sent them the pictures / video and they said thanks/ apologized and said in over a year of selling the product they haven't observed this. Make what you will of all that, just here providing my experience and I certainly cannot recommend this product.

I've got the Ottosteer. No issues, except the plastic caps are crap like others stated. Tried to look for black stainless bolts, but no luck. I ended up painting the heads black. I rarely have my plate on though, only when I know I'll be street parking in ticket prone areas. Also, my kit came with felt strips for the back of the bracket.

I bought the magnetic when I bought my 3 - while installing I emailed Ottosteer because it seemed it might rub on the car when you hit bumps or high wind/speed. They never replied. I was busy and just said F it and installed it.

6 months later you can see it's GRINDING AWAY MY PAINT

SO I SPENT $80 TO AVOID FACTORY MOUNT ADHESIVE ON PAINT AND INSTEAD JUST STRAIGHT UP RUB MY PAINT OFF

emailed Ottosteer again with this picture and video and they again havent replied (been over a week). They DID reply about their toll tag mount that doesnt even stay put in the car, so specifically choose to ignore this fatal flaw of their mount.

This photo is a bit tough to see but that's after a car-wash perfectly clean, and it's more noticeable in person. Site won't let me upload the video of how easy it is to push on the plate and make it hit the bumper in the exact spot of this damage.

Sorry to see that happen. Our initial prototype for SnapPlate used the factory plate mount with felt on the back. I still really like the look of it, but we decided against it because dirty felt still scratches paint.

Update: I almost did the default tape-mount of the plate but decided to get the LivingTesla Snapplate. It's so drastically superior I'm now insulted I ever wasted time on the Ottosteer, never mind how Ottosteer DAMAGED MY PAINT. Ive rarely seen two competing products where one is so inferior to the other in so many ways.
  • Initial Install
    • Ottosteer: 1-2 hours, a drill, hard to center it, very annoying overall
    • Snapplate: the time it takes to screw 5 screws with included driver, +10 seconds, is automatically/easily perfectly centered when you install
  • Materials
    • Ottosteer: 31 pieces of metal (including 8 magnets), 11 pieces of plastic, 4 tools (plus drill not included), felt protection
    • Snapplate: 9 screws (4 are not used, silver or black to match your plate color), 1 piece of plastic
    • Note: Snapplate has some 3d printing ive never seen, theres marginally more plastic than the OttoSteer on a mass basis, drastically less if you include the fact OttoSteer requires your Tesla factory plate mount
  • Appearance
    • Ottosteer: lots of plastic (drastically more than Snapplate), ugly felt can be seen easily, silver bolt heads are extremely obvious in front of your grille below your plate
      • CRITICAL DESIGN FLAW: even with the felt, wore the paint off my bumper (see earlier post in thread). Ottosteer refunded and said 'sorry I dont know' and it was no fault of my own
      • DESIGN FLAW:they have these pathetic plastic caps so the silver bolt heads on the mount aren't so obvious - they all fell off the first time I drove
    • Snapplate: extremely minimalist, mount below plate looks much better/cleaner and is centered vs 2 ugly bars on ottosteer, super minimal plastic behind plate vs huge factory Tesla mount behind ottosteer
  • Operation
    • Ottosteer: unscrew the safety screw and pull off, lots of ugly hardware stays on car when removed
    • Snapplate: unscrew the safety screw and pull off, ZERO remaining hardware on car when removed
  • Price
    • with both you're already choosing to be way overcharged because you dont want to tape something on your car - pay a little more for the drastically superior Snapplate that also saves you 1-2 hours of frustration
      • I guess worth noting: Snapplate sent a nice good looking Covid / sun / wind mask with a cool Tesla drawing on it, and packaged the screwdriver and screws in a handy little snap plate zipper pouch that is actually quite useful in my backpack. from a sustainability perspective I dont like getting things I didnt ask for, but theyre at least functional
      • Ottosteer sent a brand swag sticker to throw away or be a tool and stick on something. I have a shoebox full of all the brand shwag crap

Ive rarely been more offended by a product as Ottosteer, and rarely am as impressed with a product as Snapplate.
I have absolutely zero affiliation to Snapplate, get no money for saying it's good - im just into design/engineering and appreciate a great product.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kbra and buddhra
I had the original bandit and switched to the Ottosteer. Have had it on for over a year including a northeast winter driving through salt covered roads etc. No issues with paint...although my front end is ppf’d lol. I do remove the Ottosteer every time I wash the car....which may help. But even my ppf is flawless. I like the new bandit....but still don’t like how far it sticks out...look wise.

I have the ottasteer and it has caused no damage. I think it's the best looking and it's without a doubt easiest to take off or put on. I don't even look at it I just move the plate by the grill and it snaps on. I don't even bend over.

I also don't use the felt provided. I use cabinet bumpers on the back and I removed the original double sided tape.

It's without a doubt overpriced though. I can 3dprint it and just buy magnets for about $2.

I would not recommend OttoSteer. After a week, I tried calling, left a message, emailed, filled out contact form on their website and texted them. None prevailed. They have not shipped the product and I am just trying to inquiry the status. At this point I have no choice but mark it as fraudulent merchant and dispute with credit card company