Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch! 280K for Plaid +!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
Whoa, big price rise for the Plaid+
Over 280k now.
I'm hoping that they honour the old price!
They did (despite crazy AUD / USD changes) back in 2015 , so hopefully this time too.
At that price , it will push a few folks towards the Taycan , I suspect...

The big bug for me is the turbo version. Its electric, it doesnt have a turbo.
I read some Porsche marketing blurb soon after the Taycan came out that the turbo moniker is to denote the 'faster' version, not necessarily to represent the presence of a turbocharger. Wouldn't you want the world to know you're driving the faster one.... cos it's turbo

I'm like ... really?

I’ve driven a few of the Taycan’s recently (a few weeks backs when they launched here in Melbourne) and I can tell you the Taycan is an extremely smooth car to drive. It’s fit and finish is of an exceptional standard and it looks stunning IRL, however that’s unfortunately where it ends for me.

As an EV it has some drawbacks/failures in my opinion:

1. When removing ones foot slowly or completely from the accelerator pedal it has this auto decide between kicking in the regen hard or not (coasting) depending on if it feels you are not actually wanting to slow down or coast. This has been done to get more range out of the battery....in practice is feels crap. Even after a number of drives over a few hours I simply could not get used to the feel.

2. It has this gear box which has been implemented for a number of reasons, so they say (I’d say to get more range being the most truthful) but it feels god darn awful when you floor it....a gear box in an EV, seriously?

3. Tech/displays/OBC, it is too hard to explain but Telsa is light years ahead here. You guys all know this but it really is a strong plus of owning/driving at Tesla....you need to go test out Porches system to believe it, it’s just plain ugly, unnecessary controls, disconnected, disjointed, slow, poor resolution and just trying to be wow to the uneducated potential purchaser.

4. One still has to pay $1,000+ per year for a “service” in order to keep ones warranty valid

5. The cheapest Porsche is $220,000 drive away and has an 85kW battery and a claimed 365km of real world driving, my Performance 3 does achieve 510km of real world driving on a 75kW battery.

When Porsche work out how to make an EV, you know, a good EV then I might be interested....until then I wish them the best of luck turning none potential Tesla drivers in to Porsche EV drivers as that is at least better than a traditional Porsche....the Taycan driver will just need to accept that a Tesla Model 3 beats it in nearly all metics for less than half the price.

• Informative
Reactions: Novatec and OzBMR
Well done to those who booked their orders at the previous pricing.

I read that the orders for the new S were tracking much stronger than anticipated. Maybe this price rise is a bit of demand management?

Whoa, big price rise for the Plaid+
Over 280k now.
I'm hoping that they honour the old price!
They did (despite crazy AUD / USD changes) back in 2015 , so hopefully this time too.
At that price , it will push a few folks towards the Taycan , I suspect...
Or push a few folks towards the Long Range.
I was tossing up between Long Range and Plaid/Plaid+. Getting harder to justify an extra $130,000 for better 0-100 times on essentially the same car.

Or push a few folks towards the Long Range.
I was tossing up between Long Range and Plaid/Plaid+. Getting harder to justify an extra $130,000 for better 0-100 times on essentially the same car.
Long Range 0-100km/h time is still ridiculously fast.
If it is LIGHTER than the Plaid + (which will be packed to the gills with batteries, albeit in a lighter structure) then maybe it will handle better?
Weights and driving experience remain to be known....

I'm tempted to lock in a pre-order now but was hoping with the raising AUD over the next few months, given current trends it might have come down.
Or do you just pre-order now and if it drops in price, cancel and do it again?

I'm tempted to lock in a pre-order now but was hoping with the raising AUD over the next few months, given current trends it might have come down.
Or do you just pre-order now and if it drops in price, cancel and do it again?
You could cancel, but I would be very surprised if they didn’t honour a lower price at time of purchase.

Long Range 0-100km/h time is still ridiculously fast.
If it is LIGHTER than the Plaid + (which will be packed to the gills with batteries, albeit in a lighter structure) then maybe it will handle better?
Weights and driving experience remain to be known....

i dont think i could ever justify buying a plaid in australia but I am too somewhat concerned regarding the Plaid(+) weight. Model S already isn't a particularly great driving car and not sure if the increase in power can really make up for the crappy driving experience which will just get worse with more weight the car will no doubt have. I know the odd grandpa will try and convince us how great his Model S drives but when it actually comes down to speeding on a curvy outback road the Model S just cant hold its own and even i.e. older BMWs from the 90s feel way better.

I actuallly think a Long wheelbase Model 3 which is.... like 15-20cm longer or so would be the perfect middle ground but I guess it wouldnt differentiate itself enough from the S.