Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch but no ouch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sad day for me........but I am impressed more than ever with the safety engineering in my S. Ironically, was en route to the SC in freeway traffic when someone in a 1991 truck rear-ended me. I suspect he was going about 55 mph and I had slowed to a crawl. The good and the bad:

My rear bumper is literally pushed into my trunk and the trunk deck is pushed in. The logo around the license plate is bent. The tail lights have cracks. There is no glass breakage in the rear window. His front chrome bumper and grill are pushed in and his trunk lid is bent up. His radiator is leaking. His truck is not driveable. My S is not pretty but I was able to drive to the SC under my own control (was only a couple of miles).

The actual impact was a lot less jarring than I'd expect from the damage and I'd say the engineered crumple zone absorbed a lot and nicely did what it was designed for. All in all, the car did right by me.

But now, I'll be dealing with the repairs. My beautiful S with low mileage is marred but I presume can be fixed. I am not pleased but have to say I am thankful and happy with the vehicle design.

I left the car at the Tempe SC waiting for the insurance approval and then had it taken to the body shop (shop approved by Tesla) where it now sits waiting.

Funny, the software updated last night while at the body shop.

Kudos to the crew at the Tempe SC. They were very helpful under the circumstances.

Glad you were not hurt.

I would get everything out of your car now: registration, owners manual, floor mats, parcel shelf, UMC, license plate frame,... once you drop it off at the body shop, you may not be seeing it for a while and they may call it totaled.

Don't have the details yet (will get an email) but preliminary estimate done. Bodyshop says should take 11 days barring surprises once the get the parts. Hopefully the parts will not be the delaying issue. Will keep you posted.