Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch, ChaDemo is a disgrace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a chademo adapter for the longest time, but I never used it as I didn't have the need. Today I finally had a chance to hit up one of their EVGo Station. The station charged 50 cents per kwh. That's basically peak rates (I checked it was basically the same price as gas). To make matters worse, the charger could only run 34kwh. I mean what kind of fast charging is that, what a disgrace to even have it. Good luck for Bolt and Jag owners trying to do road trips with it.

I have had a chademo adapter for the longest time, but I never used it as I didn't have the need. Today I finally had a chance to hit up one of their EVGo Station. The station charged 50 cents per kwh. That's basically peak rates (I checked it was basically the same price as gas). To make matters worse, the charger could only run 34kwh. I mean what kind of fast charging is that, what a disgrace to even have it. Good luck for Bolt and Jag owners trying to do road trips with it.
Huh? I'm not aware of any plans on EVGo (EVgo Charging Plans | How Much Does it Cost to Charge an EV) that charge per kWh. It's by time.

"Could only run 34kwh" is confusing. Are you talking about only 34 kWh dispensed or a 34 kW charging rate?

Bolts and "Jags" don't use CHAdeMO. They can have SAE Combo.

Do you have a Plugshare URL for thhe location in question?

If you used Home Page - DRIVEtheARC locations, you can apparently get a PromoTicket for free CHAdeMO charging although I'm not clear if it works with Tesla S and X using the CHAdeMO adapter. See DRIVEtheARC App FAQs - DRIVEtheARC.

You are right. 30 cents per minute, which makes it worse because the car is charging at 34kw instead of 50kw like what they claim they could do. Regardless, it is bloody expensive and it is a joke. I think charging per minute makes it even more expensive.

I hope the SAE Combo plug puts out more power than the chademo.

Sorry typing on cell

You are right. 30 cents per minute, which makes it worse because the car is charging at 34kw instead of 50kw like what they claim they could do. Regardless, it is bloody expensive and it is a joke. I think charging per minute makes it even more expensive.

I hope the SAE Combo plug puts out more power than the chademo.
How full was your car at the time? Can you post the Plugshare link sometime?

When I had a Leaf w/CHAdeMO, I've definitely seen charging rates higher than 34 kW on 44 kW units (Nissan Quick Charger - CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging for Electric Vehicles). I've used 3 different ones of those guys but they weren't on EVgo.

https://electricevs.com/2018/07/17/...hargepoint-express-250-charge-at-up-to-55-kw/ is probably at ChargePoint HQ (
(CHARGEPOINT HQ 41
254 E Hacienda Ave
Campbell, CA) which is currently set to 6 cents per kWh as I believe it's in testing.

I've not personally DC FCed my '19 Bolt yet. It was DC charged at the dealer but it was one of the slow ~24 kW or so units commonly installed at Chevy dealers. I was in my vehicle when they were charging it up on that.

But yeah, EVGo's DC FC pricing isn't that cheap. For the longest time, they had crazy fees of $4.95 to START a DC FC session + 20 cents/minute, unless you were on a monthly fee plan, which got rid of the $4.95 session start fee.

I pulled up to a Tesla Supercharger and it only charged at 35kWh. They are a piece of crap, I'd never charger there again.

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't judge a network by a single location? There are many different ChaDemo network providers out there.

Just imagine if you were in a 24kWh Nissan Leaf, with a range of 50 miles in winter, its cold/dark/wet outside the car is down to 20% SOC, home is another 20 miles away.

You pull into a CHADEMO station having to faff with old gen 1 style connection gun only to find the station keeps on throwing up error messages....

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that pretty much what all non Tesla owners will have gone through the above. Which is why I find it hilarious when Tesla owners moan about the SC network.

I already said it was only charging at 35kw, I just had a typo. If they are going to charge per minute, at least have the courtesy to give the 50kw like they claim it can do. 35kw at 50 cents per minute, that's really pathetic. Maybe the failure isn't on chademo, maybe it's on EVGO instead. Regardless, they are both garbage. I am better off limping to the next supercharger and get a charge there. Cost aside, I know it will be faster at least.

I was going to get a CHAdeMO for a trip to Canada, but didn't get one. Too many hassles. When I first got my X, I tried J-plug charging as an experiment. I was 0 for 5 attempts. Needed RFID card. Broken. Could not use wifi to pay underground parking garage. Could not authorize: "Misc error". ICEd. To hell with it. I sure am glad I wasn't needing a real charge from CHAdeMO.

Used a few free J-Plugs since, OK but slow, as expected.

Just returned from a 4,000 mile roadtrip to Florida from New England. Easy-peasy with Superchargers, and a few destination chargers.

I can't imagine the new theoretical "Electrify America" campaign is really going to work even half as well as Tesla's.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
I already said it was only charging at 35kw, I just had a typo. If they are going to charge per minute, at least have the courtesy to give the 50kw like they claim it can do. 35kw at 50 cents per minute, that's really pathetic. Maybe the failure isn't on chademo, maybe it's on EVGO instead. Regardless, they are both garbage. I am better off limping to the next supercharger and get a charge there. Cost aside, I know it will be faster at least.

In a Chademo session, the car actually controls the power flow to prevent overheating the batteries (starting at the maximum that the station will deliver and then tapering downward). I've used my Chademo adapter with my Model S (with a lower state of charge) and received over 40 kW for almost an hour while on a 48 kW station. I've also been on a road trip and used a Chademo station at a mall in Albequerque before the Tesla SC was open, and it was limited to about 15 kW by the station, but that was an exception. Most of the stations can put out 44-45 kW or so...

If you were receiving only 35 kW, there was either a limit on the station output or your car was limiting the flow... It's normally higher than that...

Just imagine if you were in a 24kWh Nissan Leaf, with a range of 50 miles in winter, its cold/dark/wet outside the car is down to 20% SOC, home is another 20 miles away.

You pull into a CHADEMO station having to faff with old gen 1 style connection gun only to find the station keeps on throwing up error messages....

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that pretty much what all non Tesla owners will have gone through the above. Which is why I find it hilarious when Tesla owners moan about the SC network.

Yup. It's true EVGo is terrible