TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ouch! (Fender Garnish injured)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by JimVandegriff, Aug 13, 2018.

1. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

We hurt our X yesterday. Illijana was backing over the newly gravelled driveway to pack it down, and drove too close to the log lining our driveway, and caught the fender garnish (yep, that is the part name) with a piece of the log that was sticking out just a bit. We are talking to Tesla to get the part (passenger side rear), so that we can replace it. Sigh. Here are the pics.
    DSC_1422.JPG DSC_1424.JPG

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That's a relatively cheap part that is easy to replace.

• Like x 2
  3. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Did that to my old X, looked identical, was gonna fix it but it was totaled a week later:mad:

4. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Ouch! Those that have, Those that will.

5. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

Wow - totaled over a fender garnish. Who would've thought! I'm kidding of course. I'm sorry to hear about your X being totaled. I'm assuming you and yours were okay. Phew, scary to have an accident so bad it totaled the 60D.

6. dethman

dethman Member

ouch. at least it's just plastic. no body work. :D

7. voltaren

voltaren Member

Tesla charged me $60 to replace mine including installation. Then they charged me $50 to mount a tire. Win some, lose some.

• Informative x 1
  8. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

Update: The fender garnish is on its way! Part cost was $51. Total cost was about $76 with shipping. We are hoping we can put it in ourselves, but will see when it gets here. Otherwise, our local bodyshop (who put in our DrawTite hitch) gets the job. Pics to follow when we figure it out. Many thanks to Andy in the San Rafael service center for his excellent service.

9. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

I was expecting to see some salad leaves and bacon bits. Fender 'garnish' has to be the most obtuse naming convention for a car part.

• Funny x 2
  10. idoco

idoco Member

Did the same thing this winter on a pile of snow. Just had replaced. Local body shop ordered if from Tesla and repaired it. Easy and cheap repair.

Gave me an excuse for them to detail the car at the same time since I hadn't washed it since returning from the cross country trip.

• Like x 1
  11. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

Here is the fender garnish (and the box it came in), newly arrived at our home. We will see if we can attach it tomorrow. DSC_1427.JPG

• Like x 2
  12. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

Hi Jim, have you been out on the trails this summer? I missed your adventure thread that usually has a lot of great information. -TechVP

13. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

Three weeks in Oregon coming up in October! We are going to do a drive and camp each night kind of trip to test whether my body can handle a 6 week trip (to Utah) next spring. We are looking forward to the trip. I hope we can see you on the way. Details to follow when we figure out what we want to do more specifically.
    On the subject of the fender garnish, we put the part on ourselves and all seems to be well. Yeah!

• Informative x 1