Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch! First huge repair bill.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kinda wondering why Tesla keeps 3rd party shops from accessing information of the car, let alone very limited sources of parts from Tesla? Limited choices just drives up the repairing costs. Personally, I don't think a $650 annual service call that cheap, comparing to other cars in the same price range. Was an EV supposed to have lower maintenance cost? Just as I mentioned in the previous posts in this thread to OP, why can't he/we find a 3rd party shop to do the brake job? Were the parts that high in price? Tesla people are nice, but are the prices when it comes to repair/service the car?

Apart from the question of when a bigger battery pack will surface, this repair/service cost problem posts a significant question mark from me. Lots of model S cars will run out of warranty in the coming days, and there were some high bills floating around already.

For $650 on a car that supposedly has a fraction of the wear parts of a normal car, They should be cleaning/relubricating your brake hardware without question.

BMW is getting 15k oil change intervals with condition based service on other parts. That's less interaction with service than a Model S.

Reactions: Cyclone
For $650 on a car that supposedly has a fraction of the wear parts of a normal car, They should be cleaning/relubricating your brake hardware without question.

BMW is getting 15k oil change intervals with condition based service on other parts. That's less interaction with service than a Model S.

Houston service center quoted me $700 for annual service. I guess it varies depending on location.

This situation caught my eye so I asked our team to look into the details of kbeckley's situation. This repair is an anomaly -- the amount of debris build up and damage was highly unusual. We don't see braking system repairs like this in our data. That said, kbeckley, our team will be reaching out to you directly to make sure you feel completely taken care of and that the repair costs are fair (we already waived all of the labor charges as you know). We do recommend for high road debris areas and winter climates that owners have their braking system cleaned and lubricated as part of their annual service.

--Jon@tesla

Jon, thanks for posting and welcome to TMC.

why can't he/we find a 3rd party shop to do the brake job?

The Op could have for some of the job at least, if not all. Pads and rotors definitely could have been done 3rd party (Tesla uses Brembo parts for these). The pistons and calipers I don't recall in the posts of this thread if people identified they could be done elsewhere. But they are still traditionally actuated pistons and calipers, so I do not see why not.

You can purchase a complete set of Brembo racing calipers and Carbon rotors for less than $8,000
Brembo OEM GM Carbon Ceramic Brake Caliper & Rotor Kit 2014-15 Camaro Z/28
s-l1600.jpg

I don't think a $650 annual service call that cheap, comparing to other cars in the same price range

Never driven a Mercedes then?
So glad we moved up to the Tesla and traded the MB away, $600 barely gets you adequate level yearly service work, and we were never happy. With Tesla, we're very very happy.

My Smart ED is the poster car for low maintenance driving, never been back to the dealer in 2.5 years, not for anything. $0 spent maintaining the car. If you need low cost, get a Smart ED, it also has the same EV DNA, low battery pack and good pick up from a dead stop.

If however you want to drive a Tesla, don't complain about $600 yearly!

Way too high, 8500, are you xxxxing me? I love my Tesla, but come on, for brakes?

Does an extended warranty include brakes? I guess not.

One knock on Porsche was when I left my 911 at a dealer for an oil change. They called me and said at 8,000 miles my rear end needed aligned. I said okay, do it. When I picked up my car the bill was $600 for the oil change (which included inspecting belts and things), and $300 for the rear end alignment for a total of $900.

BMW is awful, too, for repairs, charged me $5400 for something I never understood that had to do with a water pump and a slipping belt.

Makes me want to go back to my 1966 Mustang - well, not really.

Reactions: techmaven
Yes I've seen news reports referencing this thread. This sort of thing used to happen all the time - people gunning for Tesla would use posts from this forum as their "source" for news articles. I once had my own post taken out of context to bash Tesla (that's why the copyright notice in my signature). It's lazy "reporting" to say the least when the sole source for an article is online forum posts.

Actually this used to be a larger problem; believe it or not, there seem to be fewer people gunning for Tesla than in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and navguy12
I find this amazing as my 2004 Chevy Avalanche at 106,000 miles is still on it's original brakes and ditto for our 2005 Pruis with 135,000 miles. And we do have snow and salt a few times each year.

Sure, but as has been noted already, you used the brakes on those vehicles hard enough regularly to heat them up and burn off all the snow and moisture. Not so with the Model S. Heavy regen braking means you only use the brakes to finish a stop, from about 5mph to 0. Hardly ever hard enough to heat them up.