Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch! Meeting with a tow hitch....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All in probably 2500 not including labor would be my guess.

Well, 2 summers ago, my Roadster was sitting in my assigned parking spot on the Air National Guard base here in Burlington. One of my airman forgot to set the parking brake on a Kubota, and it rolled about 30 feet down a slightly sloped drive and hit my front left wheel well area. It's exhaust pipe punched a hole in the carbon fiber body just posterior to the wheel well. That was pretty much the extent of the damage, plus a little paint scraping on the wheel. The total cost of repair was about $12,500 at the only Tesla-Authorized shop in New England. So I think $2500 for a similar type of repair is a bit low...

The issue with my car's color is that nobody seems to be sure which color it is. Lotus had a few different light blue hues in those years and Tesla is wrong on which one was used (others had paint mixed and it didn't match). I have a 2.0 2010 model, hopefully that's been sorted for your 2.5.

As a data-point, the cost of a certified Tesla shop to remove the front nose of the Roadster, prep it, and paint it back to factory color ( no paint armor), and re-install the nose back onto the car comes to $1500.

Thanks. In this case I'm getting a complete new nose/bumper, plus new grill....yet to be seen if there's anything else but the shop ordered mounting bracket also just in case. I won't get the final number until they get the car in and take a closer look but I'll be sure to post an update.

Some extra bits had to be ordered and the foam reinforcement apparently involved taking off the front wings and other pieces which caused even more work. My Roadster was delivered on Earth Day 2011, now on Earth Day 2016 I got the call this afternoon that my car is finished and I can pick her up tomorrow morning...Yaaaay!

I'm hearing that the final cost is probably going to be in the ~$4.5k range. That's an expensive tow hitch I bumped into. Oh well, I've missed her these past weeks.