Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch! MS 90D repair saga begins...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: after a week of annoying wrangling with State Farm we finally have an approved estimate, for about $25k. The exact amount is still TBD since there's a parts kit that Tesla offers but doesn't have all the necessary price info for yet (including labor estimates). Insurance has agreed to pay "whatever" for that, which apparently required getting God himself's signature on the paperwork. All but one of the required parts have arrived at the shop, and they've begun the work, but one key parts is still on back order, expected 11/6. At this point I'm hoping, realistically, to have my car back by Thanksgiving week. That'll only be two months since the accident... :mad::(:eek:

Does anybody know: given what a big deal Tesla makes about their fancy paint jobs (and what a vast fortune they charge for non-basic colors), how is j-random-repair-shop, Tesla-certified or otherwise, able to match that same awesome quality? Put a different way, if all of these j-random shops all over the place can do it, what's so freakin' special about whatever Tesla is doing at the factory?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
After issuing a second supplement (I can't get anyone to explain why that was necessary) the grand total is now up to about $34k, and there's so much labor that we're into mid-December by the time it's done -- still assuming no further unplanned delays. The shop sent me some photos of the current state; reminds me a little of the Terminator with his skin burned off:
20171026_173908_resized.jpg
20171026_173918_resized.jpg
20171026_173930_resized.jpg
20171026_173953_resized.jpg

20171026_174130_resized.jpg

This is some super-special device for dealing with the frame.

On another thread someone mentioned that I should have just paid the shop myself (if able) and then presented the final bill to my insurance company. With the benefit of hindsight I now kinda which I had.

After issuing a second supplement (I can't get anyone to explain why that was necessary) the grand total is now up to about $34k, and there's so much labor that we're into mid-December by the time it's done -- still assuming no further unplanned delays. The shop sent me some photos of the current state; reminds me a little of the Terminator with his skin burned off:
View attachment 258434 View attachment 258435 View attachment 258436 View attachment 258437

View attachment 258438

On another thread someone mentioned that I should have just paid the shop myself (if able) and then presented the final bill to my insurance company. With the benefit of hindsight I now kinda which I had.

Did they cap or otherwise protect the air conditioning lines? It the pic, they're flopping around exposed.

Wait, are they trying to straighten the frame with that tool?

Also... WTF did they find in the 2nd sup that caused 10k more damage???
I know that tool is some super-special thing, but I don't know what its exact purpose is:
Sevenne - Bench - Straightening - Products Celette
I think it allows them to hold the frame in exactly the right position while they fiddle with stuff. I believe it can be used for straightening, but isn't necessarily always used for that.

I'm pretty sure the 2nd supplement didn't cause more damage ;) but as they continued to disassemble it they found stuff that either they or Tesla (often the latter) felt needed to be replaced, often with huge labor costs. I still haven't gotten a straight answer as to why they even bothered with the first supplement before doing the investigation that led to the second one.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
It's good to see these cares actually being fixed instead of being totaled out.
I suppose, but insurance companies have been pushing back on auto manufactures for decades to make cars easier/cheaper to repair and it's pretty clear that process has not happened with Tesla. If repair costs for 3s are anything remotely like the cost for Ss we'll see 3s being totaled left and right, which will drive insurance premiums through the roof, which will make the TCO higher, putting them out of reach of some of those masses they're meant for. Bottom line: Tesla's gotta figure out how to build a car that can take a punch.

Reactions: dhrivnak
View attachment 258434 View attachment 258435 View attachment 258436 View attachment 258437

View attachment 258438

Wow... The innards look a lot more complex than that stripped down chassis in the Tesla Showroom! I'm afraid your photos have shattered my naivety... a motor connected to a battery... Alas, innocence stolen o_O

PS: all those hoses and wires look like a scene from "Brazil"... We're all in this together!

I know that tool is some super-special thing, but I don't know what its exact purpose is:
Sevenne - Bench - Straightening - Products Celette
I think it allows them to hold the frame in exactly the right position while they fiddle with stuff. I believe it can be used for straightening, but isn't necessarily always used for that.

I'm pretty sure the 2nd supplement didn't cause more damage ;) but as they continued to disassemble it they found stuff that either they or Tesla (often the latter) felt needed to be replaced, often with huge labor costs. I still haven't gotten a straight answer as to why they even bothered with the first supplement before doing the investigation that led to the second one.

Well typically, theres an OE (orignal estimate) by the adjuster. then the body shop will almost always do a sup1 when they assess the damage. sup2 comes when they find MORE damage internally... typically. So i was curious wtf they found internally that jumped the sup2 10k

Wow it looks like we're in the same boat except it wasn't my fault and maybe my damage is a bit worse. My 2015 P90D is being repaired at Raintree Auto Body here in Scottsdale, AZ. The repair estimate was $42K ($160/hr Labor rate) which is being covered by my insurance Amica. Work started around 10/30 and was given the same time estimate. But parts are already on backorder. I feel like I will be lucky if I see the car before 2018.

Attachments

• IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    510.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 124
Wow it looks like we're in the same boat except it wasn't my fault and maybe my damage is a bit worse. My 2015 P90D is being repaired at Raintree Auto Body here in Scottsdale, AZ. The repair estimate was $42K ($160/hr Labor rate) which is being covered by my insurance Amica. Work started around 10/30 and was given the same time estimate. But parts are already on backorder. I feel like I will be lucky if I see the car before 2018.
Ouch, indeed, that does look somewhat worse. Curious: how many rounds of estimation did it take to get to that $42k figure? And is it completely torn down now, so they've had a chance to see everything? That's been the thing with mine -- as the work on it they keep finding things that aren't visible. Sadly, I think you're right that (in both our cases) getting the car back this year is about the best you can hope for. The problem with having nice things is you miss them so much when they're gone! :(

From my latest status report from the shop:
"Yes we are using the Celette frame bench. Your vehicle does have frame damage. So we are replacing the RT frame rail. Once we had it up on the bench we noticed the strut shock tower and the shock tower crossmember needed to be replaced. The Celette puts the vehicle in exact measurements as to what it was from factory."

So there is frame damage, which really bums me out, but it sounds like they're replacing rather than repairing/straightening the damaged components. Really, though, are all cars this fragile in collisions?

So there is frame damage, which really bums me out, but it sounds like they're replacing rather than repairing/straightening the damaged components. Really, though, are all cars this fragile in collisions?

I think that is the way cars are designed now, the car takes the beating so you don't. Run a Tesla head-on into an old 60s "tank" and sure the "tank" may sustain less damage, but the Tesla driver walks away while the "tank" driver gets a ride in the Coroner's van.

From my latest status report from the shop:
"Yes we are using the Celette frame bench. Your vehicle does have frame damage. So we are replacing the RT frame rail. Once we had it up on the bench we noticed the strut shock tower and the shock tower crossmember needed to be replaced. The Celette puts the vehicle in exact measurements as to what it was from factory."

I believe you can now go back to the insurer and try to get a total loss. Per our little discussion in a previous thread. I personally would, and I don't consider myself one to complain, but frame damage on an all aluminum car with high strength steel subframe? Nah, I don't really trust it to repair... not enough precedent there

Reactions: davidc18
I think that is the way cars are designed now, the car takes the beating so you don't.
Of course that's what Tesla would say! ;) But, seriously, that assumes there's some certain amount of "beating" to be taken. It seems like you could design a car to sacrifice fewer and/or less expensive parts to absorb the energy, or to spread it over more and/or more expensive parts, with the same benefit to the passengers but very different repair costs.

What would that conversation sound like?

Hi, you took my car in for what appeared to be cosmetic and mechanical issues totaling $X. You've had the car for ## months now, and per the first supplement the cost to repair (and subsequently the time) went up to $Z. Now, via a Sup2, we're looking at frame damage, which is an additional $Y, not to mention time I am still without the car. Based on how this car is marketed, I am aware of it's all aluminium body construction as well as its high strength steel sub frame. Upon learning about the frame damage, and observing the body shop's procedure to correct the frame damage, I am extremely uncomfortable with taking possession of this vehicle again, as I believe it is now, and forever, permanently damaged in a way that affects its ability to drive safely. Can you please explain to me my options for proceeding?

Something like that.

Reactions: redan
Roger, what shop are you using? Connan’s Pain and Body in Carmel took care of me. I had much less significant damage to my car due to a “driver error” where I inadvertently launched my car over a concrete parking barrier. The only visible damage was to the drivers’s side wheel well skirt. Once they started the repairs they noted damage to a front end support and the battery radiator. Ended up being $4K to repair barely visible damage. It also took nearly 3 months to get all the parts, but luckily they were able to do a temporary repair that enabled me to drive the car for most of those 3 months. The final result was great.

With frame damage you are in a whole new situation. Best of luck in dealing with insurance.