Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our 85 has arrived almost as expected.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today we took possession of our brand new 85 MS. Overall it was a great experience and the car is awesome!
I was well prepared and arrived at the service center with a 20 page checklist.
Something quite funny happened. I pulled out my list and started going down the different items. My wife peaked through the window and noticed the door panel of the passenger door was in black leather. Now, that would not be special if we had ordered the car in black leather or if the other door panels had been in black leather. Not so. We ordered it in grey leather and the other three door panels were as expected in grey. Hmm.
It goes without saying that all items on my 20 page list checked out ok. My wife just looked at the car and spotted it right away. To be honest I was on a different planet at that moment and maybe I would not have noticed it at all.

The DS was concerned a bit when I told him I may be posting this online. He should relax. It did happen but I really do not hold it against them. It was actually quite amusing and everything else was perfect. I am fully confident that they will be contacting me soon and fix this to my full satisfaction in a way that only Tesla does.
On second thought, maybe we should leave the car that way. Just like one of those misprinted stamps it maybe be worth millions some day...

I am just wondering. How did this happen? I watched that 5 hour final inspection and testing they do with all cars and I have seen the robots building the MS. And then one door panel in a different color? Hmm.
So either there is now a MS in black leather with one grey door panel out there or there was some damage and they had to replace the door panel later and the robots were color blind?

What do you think?

Sounds like you have a good attitude about the problem. Yeah, they'll make it right. Funny how no one noticed at first. Like you said, I wonder if there's a black interior car out there now with a grey door?

Enjoy the new car!

I don't think attitude is a problem. That's what the Tesla grin can do to you. I am totally in lala land right now.
I went tonight to a friends house and gave the family of 4 a ride. Once I got on the highway I pushed the accelerator hard and the entire family started screaming. They were totally unprepared. Fun!

First--congrats!! If you have any pics we always love those!

Regarding the panel, albeit not a big deal, I am very surprised (and slightly concerned) that something that obvious was not caught by QA. I really doubt that 5 hour inspection even exists anymore. It's probably more like a 1 hour quick run through--and in this case didn't even catch something simple.

Sure hope Tesla isn't sacrificing quality for quantity. I know they are pumping out a bunch of cars for end of quarter (mine included), and as a buyer we expect a thorough inspection head to toe as Elon promised.

Glad you have your baby home and hope all goes well moving forward.

Mine came without mirrors in the visors. My DS said he'd never seen that before (I still haven't gone back to get them installed):

FF500D77-958A-4DC5-9DD1-BDE5A410B0B5.JPG

Regarding the panel, albeit not a big deal, I am very surprised (and slightly concerned) that something that obvious was not caught by QA. I really doubt that 5 hour inspection even exists anymore. It's probably more like a 1 hour quick run through--and in this case didn't even catch something simple.

Sure hope Tesla isn't sacrificing quality for quantity. I know they are pumping out a bunch of cars for end of quarter (mine included), and as a buyer we expect a thorough inspection head to toe as Elon promised.

You know, now that you mention it. The acceleration of my delivery from October to 9/28 originally seemed like a no-lose proposition. Now I´m (a little) concerned that I´m going to be dealing with annoyances birthed from a rush to make the Q3 number look a little better. Let´s hope not.

Today we took possession of our brand new 85 MS. Overall it was a great experience and the car is awesome!
I was well prepared and arrived at the service center with a 20 page checklist.
Something quite funny happened. I pulled out my list and started going down the different items. My wife peaked through the window and noticed the door panel of the passenger door was in black leather. Now, that would not be special if we had ordered the car in black leather or if the other door panels had been in black leather. Not so. We ordered it in grey leather and the other three door panels were as expected in grey. Hmm.
It goes without saying that all items on my 20 page list checked out ok. My wife just looked at the car and spotted it right away. To be honest I was on a different planet at that moment and maybe I would not have noticed it at all.

The DS was concerned a bit when I told him I may be posting this online. He should relax. It did happen but I really do not hold it against them. It was actually quite amusing and everything else was perfect. I am fully confident that they will be contacting me soon and fix this to my full satisfaction in a way that only Tesla does.
On second thought, maybe we should leave the car that way. Just like one of those misprinted stamps it maybe be worth millions some day...

I am just wondering. How did this happen? I watched that 5 hour final inspection and testing they do with all cars and I have seen the robots building the MS. And then one door panel in a different color? Hmm.
So either there is now a MS in black leather with one grey door panel out there or there was some damage and they had to replace the door panel later and the robots were color blind?

What do you think?

That would be the multi-color interior option for those who "just can't decide"! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I bet "check that all door panels are the same (correct) color" gets added to their checklist quickly.

OMG
The door panel and lack of mirrors is just too funny. Someone at the factory has some serious egg on their face. I'm not sure if I would find it so funny if the car was delivered to me that way (mine have been perfect knock on head). Your attitude is fantastic.

hard to tell from the picture but is the red stuff a protective film that can be peeled off?

As a non-owner I don't know what its supposed to look like but I was just wondering...

Actually no. The DS and I sat in the car thinking that was the case, but it seems to be some sort of foam padding. You can see the little notches in the visor mirror frame that the glass would clip in to.

That would be the multi-color interior option for those who "just can't decide"! :biggrin:

Good call!

I bet "check that all door panels are the same (correct) color" gets added to their checklist quickly.

Agreed. Usually the bigger the issue staring you in the face, the more likely it's to be missed. A lot like 'hiding in plain sight'. It wouldn't and doesn't concern me in the least. I can think of dozens of ways it might have happened depending on how and when interior is put on door panels. I find it more surprising that there aren't more cars with mixed up 'packages' coming off the line. Tesla does a great job minimizing errors. The error I've most often heard on here is tire size or rim color being wrong.

@OP - great looking car even with the odd wing and you have a great life attitude!