Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our cars “see” others’ turn signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on TACC. I’m passing a vehicle on my right. When my right front bumper is six feet from his left rear bumper he turns on his turn signal. My car immediately goes into an aggressive hard braking and maneuvering scenario that startled me and probably the guy behind me.

I know people have experienced phantom braking but my question is about “seeing” Others’ turn signals.

i think the camera saw the other persons wheel or bumper cover starting to veer into your lane/cross over the dotted line so model 3 took action.

ive seen this happen when passing semis with trailers whilst im on TACC. the car slooooooooows down (or hard brakes depending on speed) because it sees the wheel and/or the trailer veering into your space.

Yes and no. The neural net controlling AP (and TACC) was specifically trained to detect impending cut-ins from other lanes. So it doesn't understand turn signals exactly, but one of the things that would have a very high weight for that action would be those signals, yes. I know that sounds a bit contradictory, and if it's more convenient sure, you can say it sees it.

They discussed cut-ins specifically last year when they introduced that behavior.

I’m on TACC. I’m passing a vehicle on my right. When my right front bumper is six feet from his left rear bumper he turns on his turn signal. My car immediately goes into an aggressive hard braking and maneuvering scenario that startled me and probably the guy behind me.

I know people have experienced phantom braking but my question is about “seeing” Others’ turn signals.

I assume that Autopilot can't handle the rare case of people using their turn signals properly.

Autopilot is getting good at predicting when someone's going to cut in to my lane. The TACC on our Chrysler doesn't respond to someone entering my lane until like 5 seconds after they're already in my lane.

It's not perfect though. In San Jose when highway 87 merges onto 101N, I'm usually in the carpool lane which is flowing along while the other two lanes are stop and go. Autopilot/TACC on the Tesla phantom brakes like crazy on this stretch. It thinks a stopped car is going to cut in to the carpool lane any second.

Not quite related to turn signals but I find that autopilot is very agressive with drivers merging onto a freeway. If I am in the slow lane and a car is merging next to me, even if the car is a way behind me or there is a long lead up to the merge point Autopilot tends to very suddenly slow down to allow the merging car to undertake me which is not ideal behaviour. It seems to prefer to slow down to a 'safe place" rather than accelerate out of trouble, which can be just as dangerous if not more so as most drivers will often accelerate and following cars don't expect a car to very quickly slow down for no immediate reason.

Reactions: CharleyBC
i think the camera saw the other persons wheel or bumper cover starting to veer into your lane/cross over the dotted line so model 3 took action.

ive seen this happen when passing semis with trailers whilst im on TACC. the car slooooooooows down (or hard brakes depending on speed) because it sees the wheel and/or the trailer veering into your space.

This happened a few times on my road trip last week. A lot of vacationeers towing 5th wheel trailers which get wobbly with the gusty winds up in the desert. I started to just keep my foot on the accelerator, to prevent the almost certain phantom braking, while passing these wobble trailers.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I’ve definitely been in situations where the car clearly reacts to another car’s signal, especially in merge situations. However, it’s still not consistent but I suspect that - like other things - will change over time.