Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our first road trip - Model Y (600 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely couldn't wait on our first road trip, we drove on Tuesday morning with medium to heavy rain and wind with 90% battery, the average speed was between 65-70mph, which traveling with my wife, two kids, couple luggage.

Started - Roseville, CA at 5.15am
1st stop - Patterson, CA - No wait, only 7am, plugged in and walked in closest location (Best Western), hotel employee not even bothered and we went in straight for toilet break. Car was ready when we came back.
2nd stop - Kettleman City - No wait and still raining, plugged in and paid attention on my phone, made sure it was not idling, this location has Tesla cafe area and PIN access shown on screen.
3rd stop - Tejon Ranch Outlet - Supposed to go there but somehow Tesla screen shown unavailable, found closest supercharger nearby, Tejon Ranch was back to available before arrival so went to Tejon Ranch to charge. It was outlet so drove few minutes from freeway before got to supercharger, took time and walked in to toilet.
4th stop - Irvine - stopped for dinner with friends, still raining, charged and headed to San Diego

Anyway, we used ABRP and could have stopped less to charge, anyway, it could be rain and wind, even we drove under 70mph, the car consumed more energy than what shown on ABRP.

Yes, we went to supercharge at 11pm for $0.21 / kWh for the following days sightseeing.

Came home on Friday afternoon, car was charged in San Gabriel, CA - $0.61 / kWh Ouch at 2pm to 85%
1st stop - Kettleman City - no rain, max 70% battery - stayed for 25 min, charged to 85% (263 miles), expected to have enough to come home (233 miles away) with no more stop
2nd stop - Stockton - heavy rain, Tesla screen told we need to stop to charge, took us 5 to 10 minutes to find superchargers, charged from 30 to 50% to home (5 minutes)

Pros
- seat and steering wheel are comfortable
- no problem on charging
- definitely able to achieve 250 kW from 10-50%, afterward the system turned down to 150 kW
- excellent experience and not so much range anxiety, thanks to supercharger network
- even whole station was down, there was another station close by
- definitely will use more basic autopilot (cruise control + auto steer), help to rest my foot and able to drive longer
- Car was smart enough to pre-condition battery when navigated to supercharger

Cons
- not comfortable yet to use basic autopilot in rain yet, still scare if any sudden brake or steer
- not friendly to change wiper speed or turn off on screen

Definitely looking for next road trip :)

IMG_7482.JPG

If you press on the button at the top of the left stick, this will start the windshield wiper for few seconds.
Pressing this button any time will activate also a mini card menu at the bottom left of the screen display.
This menu allows you to change the speed or stop the wiper, but in general, the auto function works fine.

Which Supercharger is on this picture?

Thisn type of nlayout is more commemon in Europe,
and is more convenient if you have a bicycle carrier ora trailer.

But don't the first car entering is suppose to use the charger at the very front,
or maybe there was another car previously who already left.
Think they were front to front parking to charge and there concrete curb / separator

Cons
- not comfortable yet to use basic autopilot in rain yet, still scare if any sudden brake or steer

It's a shame the weather got in the way as AP is a awesome for these fwy trips. Whenever we went to SD, I'd have AP do the whole drive just about.

And the wipers, yea control isn't the greatest.

Definitely couldn't wait on our first road trip, we drove on Tuesday morning with medium to heavy rain and wind with 90% battery, the average speed was between 65-70mph, which traveling with my wife, two kids, couple luggage.

Started - Roseville, CA at 5.15am
1st stop - Patterson, CA - No wait, only 7am, plugged in and walked in closest location (Best Western), hotel employee not even bothered and we went in straight for toilet break. Car was ready when we came back.
2nd stop - Kettleman City - No wait and still raining, plugged in and paid attention on my phone, made sure it was not idling, this location has Tesla cafe area and PIN access shown on screen.
3rd stop - Tejon Ranch Outlet - Supposed to go there but somehow Tesla screen shown unavailable, found closest supercharger nearby, Tejon Ranch was back to available before arrival so went to Tejon Ranch to charge. It was outlet so drove few minutes from freeway before got to supercharger, took time and walked in to toilet.
4th stop - Irvine - stopped for dinner with friends, still raining, charged and headed to San Diego

Anyway, we used ABRP and could have stopped less to charge, anyway, it could be rain and wind, even we drove under 70mph, the car consumed more energy than what shown on ABRP.

Yes, we went to supercharge at 11pm for $0.21 / kWh for the following days sightseeing.

Came home on Friday afternoon, car was charged in San Gabriel, CA - $0.61 / kWh Ouch at 2pm to 85%
1st stop - Kettleman City - no rain, max 70% battery - stayed for 25 min, charged to 85% (263 miles), expected to have enough to come home (233 miles away) with no more stop
2nd stop - Stockton - heavy rain, Tesla screen told we need to stop to charge, took us 5 to 10 minutes to find superchargers, charged from 30 to 50% to home (5 minutes)

Pros
- seat and steering wheel are comfortable
- no problem on charging
- definitely able to achieve 250 kW from 10-50%, afterward the system turned down to 150 kW
- excellent experience and not so much range anxiety, thanks to supercharger network
- even whole station was down, there was another station close by
- definitely will use more basic autopilot (cruise control + auto steer), help to rest my foot and able to drive longer
- Car was smart enough to pre-condition battery when navigated to supercharger

Cons

In addition, normally there were cars waiting in busy area but wait times were five minutes top

Think they were front to front parking to charge and there concrete curb / separator

You are right, the side areas are only front enter, not reverse, which is not common.
This type of layout is not used in areas with snow, to avoid been damaged by plow truck.

kettleman city SC 3.jpg

And the central area allow to drive through if there is no pilar,
otherwise they are front enter on one side, and reverse enter on the other side.

kettleman city SC 2.jpg

Reactions: Kevinaldo
You are right, the side areas are only front enter, not reverse, which is not common.
This type of layout is not used in areas with snow, to avoid been damaged by plow truck.

View attachment 890965

And the central area allow to drive through if there is no pilar,
otherwise they are front enter on one side, and reverse enter on the other side.

View attachment 890964
Because plow trucks are only allowed to hit the back of cars? Lol

600 miles? must be one way?

I went down to SD from south SF 2 weeks ago. Did 1500 mikes round trip with my MYP and 19” Gemini. We stop at the same SC along i5.

Wasnt raining so AP worked great for me. Fyi. Whenever im On AP and it’s light to Moderate rain, just pull up the wiper setting (from single click on left stock or screen) and click on single wipe. It’s much better than auto. even at setting 2 is ok. Auto sucks! U just can’t turn it off.

600 miles? must be one way?

I went down to SD from south SF 2 weeks ago. Did 1500 mikes round trip with my MYP and 19” Gemini. We stop at the same SC along i5.

Wasnt raining so AP worked great for me. Fyi. Whenever im On AP and it’s light to Moderate rain, just pull up the wiper setting (from single click on left stock or screen) and click on single wipe. It’s much better than auto. even at setting 2 is ok. Auto sucks! U just can’t turn it off.
Yup, 600 miles one way. MYP with Gemini, nice!!

Reactions: yellowr6
Which Supercharger is on this picture?

Thisn type of nlayout is more commemon in Europe,
and is more convenient if you have a bicycle carrier ora trailer.

But don't the first car entering is suppose to use the charger at the very front,
or maybe there was another car previously who already left.
Great layout. I have not seen the like in England or France,

>> This type of layout is more commemon in Europe,
>> and is more convenient if you have a bicycle carrier ora trailer.

Great layout. I have not seen the like in England or France,

Tesla-Supercharger-Nebbenes-Norway.jpeg

Reactions: timberlights
One good thing that happened last time going from SF<>LA on I5 at the supercharger stations, I was able to find the part inside the charging door - plastic chip that tends falls off. On the return drive, I need to charge one more time since it's difficult to start the drive with 100% when your traveling.

Reactions: timberlights
Definitely have to try
It's the same with the headlights... Sometimes I find that the Auto Headlights don't always turn on the headlights at dusk or if it gets really dark/rainy... Easy way to access the headlight controls, is push forward on the turn signal stalk, as if you were toggling the high beams. This will bring up the headlight card, allowing you to manually turn on the headlights.

Reactions: Parker3097