TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Our Goal is to Completely Eliminate the Gas Station"

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Rockster, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

#1 Rockster, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    No, it's not an electric car company. It's a mobile refueling service that my office complex has just contracted with. I saw the big purple truck in the parking lot and chatted the guy up. He said, "Everyone I talk to hates the gas station. We're starting with office parks but before too long we hope to have most everyone with a car calling us to refuel at home rather than bother with the gas station."

Refueling at home and avoiding the hassle of gas stations? If only I could figure out a way to achieve that with my Tesla. Oh, wait...

(He was a nice guy just working to put food on the table so I kept my EV opinions to myself.)

Their price per gallon is claimed to be within a few cents per gallon of the local gas stations, so it's quite likely I'll give them a try on those days I'm forced to drive our ICE vehicle.

(I've somehow messed up the pictures by posting two copies, one of them obnoxiously large. Sorry.)

Attached Files:

2. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

What about a mobile supercharger for those EV emergencies? May make owning an EV more palatable to the public. How about a Powerwall on the back of a truck! :biggrin:

3. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Geniuses, they will make a good income off the selfie taking agoraphobic social media prisoners.

4. freds

freds Member

Actually sounds like a decent business plan verses a regular gas station.

No fixed location or lease, can probably pick the load up at a local distribution point so doesn't have to pay delivery charges. Fixed work hours, doesn't have to staff for 24/7, etc.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

"In other news politicians in New Jersey, Oregon and other states said that they would ban vehicle gasoline delivery services due to safety concerns, and thanked gas station owners for the generous donations to their election funds."

It's an interesting idea.

My main concern would be being held up in a parking lot waiting for a delivery truck to finish. :p
    There's also safety, but I think overall refilling cars with engines that have cooled down is probably safer.

6. ElectricTundra

Possibly a good short term business. But with people driving less in general and an increasing percent of cars being BEV or PHEV, what kind of future do they have?

7. Menifeer

Menifeer Member

My gas door is opened from inside the car. I'd have to be there or give the delivery person my key...

8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

AAA in 2011:

RALEIGH, N.C., – 7/18/2011

To help address range anxiety, the nation’s largest motor club will be first in North America to provide Level 2 and Level 3 mobile charging services to members with electric vehicles...

:biggrin:

...or just leave the gas port door open when leaving your car on Fillup Day...

• Helpful x 1
  9. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Read that California is busy preparing legislation to make this illegal. No good deed goes unpunished here.

10. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Gas or electric?

11. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Seems rube goldbergish... how about just to the moral thing... kick the fool fuel habit, drive electric and get your employer to install an EVSE. Same fuel at work convenience without the terrible AGW after-taste.