Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Group Collection at Edinburgh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Friday, 16th August, we collected our beautiful new Tesla Model 3 Performance from the Edinburgh Service centre. The experience was a little different than I expected, so I figured I'd share my experience here for anyone who might be interested.

Group Demonstration

I've seen a photos from some other members' Edinburgh collection and typically the cars seem to be parked in the handover bay for a one-on-one handover. That was not what happened to us.

When we arrived, we were led into a room with a demo Model 3 (SR+ in Red, if anyone's interested) and were told that we'd be part of a group handover with 3 others. The plan was to demonstrate the features on the demo car to us collectively.

cxe8k9H.jpg

While checking us in it was a simple signature on an iPad and (I _think_) a quick ID check, but I can't remember. The guy did recognise me from the store, so perhaps already knew who I was. He asked us if we had any specific questions, checked that we had the Tesla app installed and signed in, and explained that our private plates were waiting in the boot of the car (I had scanned my V750 and emailed this earlier in the week).

After everyone arrived and was checked in, he discussed a lot of the basic features of the car, how the charging network works, which apps and cards to get (like ChargePlaceScotland) and allowed us to ask any easy / simple questions. Most people who were collecting were, like us, well versed in the details of the Model 3 having spent months or years watching every scrap of YouTube footage there was. This was the downside of group collection - he has to cover these topics for the beginners (rightly so) but it meant a slower / less interesting experience for the rest of us.

Key Pairing

As this demonstration was going on, the four cars were brought round to the front and lined up outside. They turned on remote access and had us all open our apps and check that our cars were visible. He also asked us to use the app to honk the horn to ensure our car was out front. Of course everyone went a bit mad, like school kids who couldn't resist tapping the button just one more time... :D

The cars had the key cards placed in the appropriate place, so from the comfort of the dry demo room he had us each pair our mobile phones as keys. This was really slick and worked well. Then... the great reveal!

Shutters Up!

Finally the order was given to raise the rolling shutters and reveal our beautiful new cars. It was made very clear that we were in no rush, and could stay around to answer any questions, check the vehicle, or play around. We were told that the state of charge of the vehicles was between 60% and 90% (ours was 90%) but that we were welcome to use the chargers out front for free if we needed to.

We had a good look around the car and she's absolutely stunning. First aid kit, warning triangle, and yellow vest in the trunk. In the boot was the mobile connector kit, Type 2 cable, and our private plates. The guy was happy to explain anything, and told us if we struggled to swap the plates they'd gladly do it for us when our V5C came through.

One couple were doing a part exchange so they were hanging around for a little longer as they moved all of their stuff (child seat etc.) and again, nobody was being ushered out the door or 'politely encouraged' to leave.

I Bless the Rains Down at Newbridge

As it was a typical wet day in Edinburgh, I turned on the windscreen wipers just as we were leaving. First problem! The wipers weren't moving all the way across the windscreen, and were clashing with each other about half way.

The handover guy quickly took the car into the service centre to investigate and fix the problem. When he came back, he said that a bolt or something wasn't done up properly and as a result it had chipped the paint on the inside lip of the bonnet. :( He logged the issue and someone would call to arrange for the car to go in.

Sure enough, a couple of hours later I got a call from them. The bonnet would be completely resprayed and it would take about a week. Booked in for September 3rd where we'll get a loaner car. He even offered to send someone out with the car, seeing as it was their fault. I decided to just take the car in. We'll see how well the repair goes.

V5C Is Here

Our V5C arrived on Wednesday (5 days after getting the car), and we were able to add our plates on the DVLA website. Direct Line's website was easy to make the change on, and we were able to add the plates Tesla had made up for us.

The plates are a little tricky to get off and one. You have to get a screwdriver between the plates and the housing, pry up the housing to release the plates from the little moulded plastic retention clips along the top. Then the plate can just be lifted out. It took us a little while to get into it, but it wasn't too bad.

Needless to say, we're absolutely delighted with the car. It's our dream machine, and an absolute pleasure to drive. It's well worth the wait. :D

G0888Cr.jpg

mT16mJz.jpg

32h3XXl.jpg

That looks great! Really pleased for you. I’m picking up my red M3 this afternoon :D

One quick question - did they charge you for your private plates? I mentioned the need for plates during the pre-delivery phone call yesterday, and the guy was adamant that there was a charge of £24 for the plates. This is despite the fact that I’ve been told by several Tesla folk that they would be free.

Shame about the wipers/bonnet, hope they sort it seamlessly.

Reactions: Fullerene and -DB-
That looks great! Really pleased for you. I’m picking up my red M3 this afternoon :D

One quick question - did they charge you for your private plates? I mentioned the need for plates during the pre-delivery phone call yesterday, and the guy was adamant that there was a charge of £24 for the plates. This is despite the fact that I’ve been told by several Tesla folk that they would be free.

Shame about the wipers/bonnet, hope they sort it seamlessly.
Thanks Roy!

They did not charge for the plates. Completely free of charge. I was worried whether they’d do them at all as I read some being told “no”. Perhaps it varies by SC?

Honestly if they hadn’t told me about the chip I likely wouldn’t have noticed it. I’m pleased that they were pro-active... I just hope the panel re-spray isn’t a disaster!

I haven't received my car yet, but when I spoke to someone on the phone I asked about putting the car on my private plate for which I have the retention docs, but they flat our refused and said I'd have to sort everything out myself afterwards. Perhaps the level of helpfulness does depend on which service centre and how busy or stressed they are at the time.

Anyway, I am glad your handover went well (mostly) dst87, it certainly sounds like they made a bit of an effort to make a bit of an event of it, and to make you all feel special.

Thanks Roy!

They did not charge for the plates. Completely free of charge. I was worried whether they’d do them at all as I read some being told “no”. Perhaps it varies by SC?

Honestly if they hadn’t told me about the chip I likely wouldn’t have noticed it. I’m pleased that they were pro-active... I just hope the panel re-spray isn’t a disaster!
I’m sure you won’t be able to tell when they’ve done it.

Thanks for the info re. the plates. We’re on our way to Stockport now, so I’m prepared for a battle ;)

Re-spray - what could go wrong?

Auto factory in US, custom color formulation, dry arid climate, robotic spray, paint rooms 200 cars per shift (months of experience)

Auto shop, different batch of paint (same or different paint factory?) damp climate (halfway around the world), hand sprayed, no experience (first Model 3 ever worked on, first day on the job or experienced craftsman)

Ever had a car body repair? Ever tried to refinish a table top? Preparation of surface before finish application is critical.

- I won't have noticed vs
- sand, prep, hand re-spay one coat or two + clear coat (buffing needed? no buffing at auto factories)
What could possibly go wrong? It will look just like it is fresh out of the factory. How could it not? </sarcasm>
New company, new service center, new employees, all trying to please with no idea what it actually takes (little to no actual experience).

Fix this paint chip myself or couple of days in repair shop and driving a loaner car?
You don't feel comfortable repairing a paint chip? "Oh well, just have them respray it."

think about it

So easy to say: "just respray it"

PS - Paint chip repair yourself? Service Center employee may have more experience, maybe not.
Oh, first world problems of new car ownership, especially nice, expensive, special red ones.

good luck, have fun, enjoy driving/showing this amazing machine to others

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks Roy!

When I checked in at Stockport I asked about the set of number plates for my personal number. There was no mention of paying for them :) and about five minutes later the very nice young lady brought the plates to us in the waiting area. I can’t say I’m too keen on the Tesla plates and plate holders though, they’re far too easy to take the plates out. I could swap/steal the plates in about 10 seconds flat :eek: