Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our license plates came. Did you install yourself or Tesla? If by self- what screws?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do people call Tesla service to come install the license plate frames on the vehicle, or can you do do this by yourself?
I don't mind doing it myself, but cannot find the screws needed for the plate bracket that came with the vehicle.
(no I don't mind drilling holes). thx

My packet of screws was separate from the holder in some odd place like the glove box.

I would bet the local Service Center has extras if you can't find them. Maybe a mobile range would drop screws by or even do the install. Those guys are so helpful.

It's an easy install.

Long "wing bolts" can be bought at Home Depot for under $3 for the pair. That's what I used. I don't like drilling hole in the front of the car either. :)
1/4 in. x 5 in. Zinc-Plated Toggle Bolt with Round-Head Phillips Drive Screw (2-Pieces)-817421 - The Home Depot
True, but the one from ebay is stainless steel and has a plastic coating so you don't scratch the bottom vent. I'm usually pretty cheap and on the lookout for a deal, but in this case it was worth it to get the best parts the first time.

My Wife has a thing about everything being perfectly lined up. I decided the safest approach was to have the SC do the install. In fact - it was the easiest approach. Made an appointment - they took the car in directly, they had a special fixture just for aligning the plate that aligned the plate to the center of the car, and level. Took like 10 minutes.

Wife is happy - - all is good.

True, but the one from ebay is stainless steel and has a plastic coating so you don't scratch the bottom vent. I'm usually pretty cheap and on the lookout for a deal, but in this case it was worth it to get the best parts the first time.
Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that and I agree. But to prevent potential scratching of the vent, I jus put a small strip of foam insulation strip with sticky backing on the back plate to prevent it. Already has some spare in the garage. An extra dollar if you have to buy it. Can't blame you for wanting something nicer. So far, mine has been working for 3 years and doesn't seem loose or causing any scratching.