Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Model Y got rear-ended.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got bumped by a distracted driver yesterday and the tailgate is dented. :( Looks like the rear bumper is also dislodged and/or broke the clips as well.

See photos below.

Will this be an easy fix(PDR) or does it require replacing the tailgate and bumper? The other party has GEICO and will be going through them. If anyone has any pointers/experience in getting this fixed in the DFW area, I would like to hear it. I am also worried about this diminishing the value of the car once it gets reported to Carfax.

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20210703_152413128.jpg

PXL_20210703_153230210.jpg

PXL_20210703_152500238.jpg

PXL_20210703_152445572_2.jpg

Got the car back after repairs, it costed ~$6000. They replaced the tailgate and painted most of the rear side of the car. The car was in the shop for only 8 days since I had them pre-order the parts before dropping it for repairs. The other party's insurance paid for everything including rental.

If I was paying from my own pocket, I would have tried with a PDR guy like this one here:

WHY is tesla so repair unfriendly, in terms of how much stuff has to be replaced after a collision?

the whole hatch? really? is this common in the industry? its been 20 years or so since my last new car purchase and I dont remember ever having to replace whole things like a hatch on just a metal (not structural) dent.

I know the germans pull this crap; I've had bmw's that I swear were designed to be expensive to fix, on purpose. I wouldn't put it passed them, either (bmw). and exotics are a given; you know they will be expensive for anything at all.

but the 3 and Y should not cost so much for simple body work.

this is a big concern and one reason why I dont see myself keeping my 3 for all that long. definitely will sell before 4 yrs is up; but might even dump it sooner if another electric has a better 'repair story'.

I just hate it when things are designed without build-ability and service-ability in mind.

WHY is tesla so repair unfriendly, in terms of how much stuff has to be replaced after a collision?

the whole hatch? really? is this common in the industry? its been 20 years or so since my last new car purchase and I dont remember ever having to replace whole things like a hatch on just a metal (not structural) dent.

I know the germans pull this crap; I've had bmw's that I swear were designed to be expensive to fix, on purpose. I wouldn't put it passed them, either (bmw). and exotics are a given; you know they will be expensive for anything at all.

but the 3 and Y should not cost so much for simple body work.

this is a big concern and one reason why I dont see myself keeping my 3 for all that long. definitely will sell before 4 yrs is up; but might even dump it sooner if another electric has a better 'repair story'.

I just hate it when things are designed without build-ability and service-ability in mind.

So had a chat with the shop while picking up the car. He said that the new single-piece casting doesn't help with repairs as it will result in more cars considered totaled. It may make it easier to manufacture but doesn't help in case of an accident.

Model Y has a rear bottom bracket inside the rear bumper which takes the impact on a rear-ending collision and it was replaced for mine. This sort of minimizes the damage to the frame. But the tailgate is flush with the rear bumper and the height of the rear bumper being low causes the tailgate to take most of the hit when rear-ended.

The insurance approved the replacement as they said there isn't much space behind the tailgate to have it repaired.