Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our new MYP with Matte PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much did they quote you for caliper paint? I found a few places that want between $500-1K.

I just ordered caliper covers since I have a LR, not a P.

$500 to$1k? WOW.

This is literally about a 2, on a scale of 1-10 difficulty if anyone is interested. It's literally as easy as:
- Jack up car/remove wheel. (5 mins).
- Clean caliper thoroughly with a can (2 cans is enough for all 4 calipers) of brake cleaner (maybe 2 mins per caliper)
-Wipe the calipers down thoroughly with disposable damp rags to get rid of remaining residue. (maybe 5 mins max per caliper)
-Using plastic bags and masking tape, mask off the brake rotor and underside of the wheel well area (maybe 10 mins taking your time per caliper
-Using a can of VHT caliper paint, spray several light coats of paint onto the caliper. (let dry 5-10 mins between coats, and make sure its not humid and temps are at least 70 degrees f where you paint).
-After your last coat, let dry for about an hour. Then apply your Tesla decal.
-Once you remove the top clear protective cover (carefully) from the decal, apply couple thin coats of clearcoat. (Helps protect the paint and the decal).

From that point forward, never use wheel cleaner on your wheels. You only need to use the car wash soap. Wheel cleaners can attack the clear/paint and cause it to fade. Also, never aim high pressure washer directly at the calipers or it can peel off the paint.

I've used this process for at least 6 different calipers with complete success and lasting results for years/until I sold the cars.

$500 to$1k? WOW.

This is literally about a 2, on a scale of 1-10 difficulty if anyone is interested. It's literally as easy as:
- Jack up car/remove wheel. (5 mins).
- Clean caliper thoroughly with a can (2 cans is enough for all 4 calipers) of brake cleaner (maybe 2 mins per caliper)
-Wipe the calipers down thoroughly with disposable damp rags to get rid of remaining residue. (maybe 5 mins max per caliper)
-Using plastic bags and masking tape, mask off the brake rotor and underside of the wheel well area (maybe 10 mins taking your time per caliper
-Using a can of VHT caliper paint, spray several light coats of paint onto the caliper. (let dry 5-10 mins between coats, and make sure its not humid and temps are at least 70 degrees f where you paint).
-After your last coat, let dry for about an hour. Then apply your Tesla decal.
-Once you remove the top clear protective cover (carefully) from the decal, apply couple thin coats of clearcoat. (Helps protect the paint and the decal).

From that point forward, never use wheel cleaner on your wheels. You only need to use the car wash soap. Wheel cleaners can attack the clear/paint and cause it to fade. Also, never aim high pressure washer directly at the calipers or it can peel off the paint.

I've used this process for at least 6 different calipers with complete success and lasting results for years/until I sold the cars.
Nice DIY write up!
We use wheel cleaners, and we pressure wash it up close on our painted calipers with no issues. So I guess it’s worth $900 cause I just wanted it done professionally. 😬

Reactions: buckets0fun
Nice DIY write up!
We use wheel cleaners, and we pressure wash it up close on our painted calipers with no issues. So I guess it’s worth $900 cause I just wanted it done professionally. 😬
Hey.. NOTHING wrong with that. Not everyone wants to DIY things. Totally understood. Im sure a gentle/non acidic wheel cleaner is fine (but to be 100% honest? Not necessary, especially with EV as generally speaking, there is minimal brake dust buildup due to use of regen). As far as the pressure washer, any sort of extreme high pressure can damage paint, even paint on the vehicle itself. I tend to use a light to moderate stream of spray from my hose after I've used a wheel woolie to get between the spokes and use the car wash soap to wipe away any slight dirt on the calipers.

In the end, its whatever works for each individual.

For anyone wondering what the pearl matte looks like in the sun. The picture doesn’t do it justice but the pearl really pops under the matte PPF.

Attachments

• 8BE6F989-3184-498B-B1FA-A4D9D2077E01.jpeg
    8BE6F989-3184-498B-B1FA-A4D9D2077E01.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 117
Is this Satin PPF? Where did you get it done and for how much? Does it also have a ceramic coating?
Depending on who you are asking mine is XPEL Stealth PPF. I had it done in Atlanta GA at AP3. They were cheaper than the STL area. Their quote was $5300 and that includes covering everything on the car in PPF. Headlights, tail lights, fog lights, etc

Was your car just the normal stock black and then you put the satin PPF on it? Or was it already wrapped and then you put PPF on it? How much did it all cost you? I’m in laguna beach so brea is pretty local
The matte is the PPF. You choose between shiny or matte for the PPF covering. Traditionally PPF matte costs more than gloss as they have to wrap more edges. My window tint is 20% front, 40% windshield with a 5% strip across the top, and 20% on the back window just to black out the back window.