Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our of warranty rapairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think only very few local mechanics are trained for both Tesla hardware and software.

Replacing components might need some competency in the firmware as well.
The problem is not training, it’s that Tesla generally does not make their repair manuals and software available to third parties except where required by law, and actively fights against pretty much all right to repair principles.

For me, I use Tesla because I have an extended warranty, so i know i will only have to pay the $100 deductible regardless of the difference in price of the fix from Tesla or another shop, and given that, I would prefer Tesla fix it and they also give me a loaner every time.

If I did not have the extended warranty and had to pay out of pocket I would definitely use a 3rd party shop. I hear Electric Garage is good.

The problem is not training, it’s that Tesla generally does not make their repair manuals and software available to third parties except where required by law, and actively fights against pretty much all right to repair principles.
Tesla now makes both the manuals and the software tools available to 3rd partys... for a fee of course. See service.tesla.com

Parts catalog. I believe you can view it with your Tesla Login. I can see it and I'm not a technician or anything.

1645035794044.png

I assume since there's no Sales Restriction on some parts, MAYBE they'll sell it to you. Somehow I doubt I can just go to the counter and buy an onboard charger though.

Attachments

• 1645035788163.png
    1645035788163.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 53
I hope I don’t repeat other threads.

I was just wondering, do people maintain their out-of-warranty old Model S at the Tesla service center or do they go to a local mechanic like the general ICE owners?
It depends. If it's normal stuff like shocks, control arms, sway bar links, etc... a normal shop can likely do it if you provide the parts. For anything else I'd go to a Tesla service center.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
this is what worries me about Tesla's in general. I have an MX currently and still under warranty. But Im considering buying an out of warranty MS but worried for catastrophic repairs. I know the DU is easily $10K and Im not in a position to do any sort of DIY on it.

So far I count the DU and the battery dying (no idea how much a battery could be). Are there any other catastrophic failures that are known to happen?

Tesla now makes both the manuals and the software tools available to 3rd partys... for a fee of course. See service.tesla.com
It requires registration on the site and I doubt they will let third party companies to sign up. You can individually of course use this but who knows what will change in a period of a year, as this is the time you agree during registration.

this is what worries me about Tesla's in general. I have an MX currently and still under warranty. But Im considering buying an out of warranty MS but worried for catastrophic repairs. I know the DU is easily $10K and Im not in a position to do any sort of DIY on it.

So far I count the DU and the battery dying (no idea how much a battery could be). Are there any other catastrophic failures that are known to happen?
Depending on where you live in the US, you may be able to find a 3rd party shop that can do the more difficult repairs for significantly less than what the Tesla Service Center charges.