Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our surprising (to us) decision to go with 6 seats instead of 7...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 5'11" and my hair touches the ceiling when sitting in the middle seat of the 2nd row.
For reference, my hair also touches the rear glass window when sitting in the 3rd row.
3 adults in the 2nd row of the Model X was a really tight squeeze.
I changed my config from 7 passenger to 6 after sitting in the car.

Others have expressed similar concerns. The counterpoint I have for this reasoning is that it assumes that all potential passengers will be at least a certain size. Even adults are not all the same size. I frequently take 5 adult passengers in my current car which has a rear seat with less shoulder and hip room to the X. The passengers usually sort themselves so that the 3 narrowest are in the back seat and the same thing would happen with the X with even more options considering the 3rd row. Sometimes there aren't 3 that are noticeably narrower than the rest, but we are only going a couple of miles so they deal with it.

The center seat is simply another option for someone to occupy. If you have fewer than 7 people then it doesn't even have to be used (though it does limit leg stretch room for the 3rd row). If you have 7 passengers then it's likely you have at least one shorter than 5'10". If you have 7 people that all happen to be that tall or taller, then they'll still be more comfortable than if you have to leave one behind.

To me, the only reasons to consider the 6 seat configuration are leg room for the rear seat, pass-through cargo, and rear visibility. For me the pass-through isn't likely to be used much and I could deal, and the rear visibility is mitigated by the availability of a full-time rear camera screen. So, it mostly boils down to 3rd row leg room.

Another plus I see for choosing 7 over 6 is that I frequently have 5 passengers and if I had the 6 seat configuration then one person gets isolated in the rear. 7 seats provides much more flexibility for ensuring that everyone gets a seat buddy. If my 5 passengers would prefer to sit 2/2/1 in the 7 seater then they can still do that and the rear passenger may even benefit from sitting a little sideways for more leg room. But, honestly, I really think they are more likely to sit 2+3 so they can talk more. Maybe I just have chatty friends.

I think the 5 seat version is the most useless configuration (as it currently stands). There is still an argument to be made for the 7 seater, it will work better for some people.

The 5 seat version is exactly the same as the 7 seat version except you cannot 'unfold' the seats. You gain zero cargo space over the 6/7 seat version (if you count the space between the two second row seats, it has less cargo capacity than the 6 seat version). I had this confirmed by two different reps at the event. In the 5 seat configuration, the entire back area is at the exact same level as the folded 3rd row seats. I think this was an unfortunate choice, if instead they made the cargo area go down all the way, while it would be hard to load, I think it would be a winner for some customers.

That would make no sense to just have a large concealed cavity covered up where the third row seats used to be. Not to mention a proper 5 seat'r should have folding second row seats.

Another plus I see for choosing 7 over 6 is that I frequently have 5 passengers and if I had the 6 seat configuration then one person gets isolated in the rear. 7 seats provides much more flexibility for ensuring that everyone gets a seat buddy. If my 5 passengers would prefer to sit 2/2/1 in the 7 seater then they can still do that and the rear passenger may even benefit from sitting a little sideways for more leg room. But, honestly, I really think they are more likely to sit 2+3 so they can talk more. Maybe I just have chatty friends.

One thing to consider is that the 6-seat option may be more social than the 7-seat option because that 2nd row opening allows for better visual and vocal conversation. I imagine that a tall 3-seat barrier would make it difficult to converse with the first two rows.

One thing to consider is that the 6-seat option may be more social than the 7-seat option because that 2nd row opening allows for better visual and vocal conversation. I imagine that a tall 3-seat barrier would make it difficult to converse with the first two rows.

This was one of the motivations for us choosing the 6-seat configuration. We have an Odyssey, which has a 2nd row with three seats by default that are individually removable (cough, cough). When the three seats are in place, the rear row feels somewhat isolated. Remove that middle seat and everything opens up quite a bit. We leave it out. With the lower ceilings on the MX, I imagine that effect is more pronounced.

The other was that the kids can climb through to the rear row easily through the gap between the seats. Since my kids are the most likely to sit in the "way back", that saves us having to move the seats at times.

Others have expressed similar concerns. The counterpoint I have for this reasoning is that it assumes that all potential passengers will be at least a certain size. Even adults are not all the same size. I frequently take 5 adult passengers in my current car which has a rear seat with less shoulder and hip room to the X. The passengers usually sort themselves so that the 3 narrowest are in the back seat and the same thing would happen with the X with even more options considering the 3rd row. Sometimes there aren't 3 that are noticeably narrower than the rest, but we are only going a couple of miles so they deal with it.

The center seat is simply another option for someone to occupy. If you have fewer than 7 people then it doesn't even have to be used (though it does limit leg stretch room for the 3rd row). If you have 7 passengers then it's likely you have at least one shorter than 5'10". If you have 7 people that all happen to be that tall or taller, then they'll still be more comfortable than if you have to leave one behind.

To me, the only reasons to consider the 6 seat configuration are leg room for the rear seat, pass-through cargo, and rear visibility. For me the pass-through isn't likely to be used much and I could deal, and the rear visibility is mitigated by the availability of a full-time rear camera screen. So, it mostly boils down to 3rd row leg room.

My situation is that as a Model S owner with the third row option I already have a car that can take 7 people as long as they're the right mix of sizes. The times when the S frustrates us is when we have 6 or 7 adults to transport, and that's the time that the X would shine... but only if all the seats are as comfortable as the 5 adult-size spaces in the S.

I guess I'll have to try an X of each kind if/when the reach the UK (by which time US deliveries of the 3 will probably have started :wink: )

I'm extremely happy with the 6 seater. Much less crowded. Space between the two seats for a lot of stuff lor for smaller folks to move to the third row. Though no matter what the 3rd row is a bit cramped especially head room wise. I can barely sit there at 6'2" , but then I will always be driving. For now my 3rd row is always down anyway so it's a big 4 seater.

Attachments

• DSC_4607.JPG
    DSC_4607.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_4609.JPG
    DSC_4609.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_4599.JPG
    DSC_4599.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 176
No reason it shouldn't drive. You'd gain about 10" of leg room, the distance from the back of the lift gate to the back of the middle seats is 50 inches with the seats all the way back, it's 60" with the seats all the way forward. So move the middle seat all the way forward and you gain 10"

It appears at least for now the Model X will not drive with the center seat of the second row pushed all the way forward based on this post:

"Another important point is that when I sat in the 3rd row, at first I was like, this is awesome! But, that's because the 2nd
row wasn't in the correct position. Once my guest went to drive, the X first stowed the whole 2nd row in the proper
position before it would allow him to drive."

One question to ask a 7 seat owner is, "Can the center seat be moved manually forward at the seat control after the Model X has "latched" the seats so the vehicle can drive?" (Pvogel's post does mention moving the seat forward to gain 10" - that sounds like the manual move after the latching.)

In the case of the 6 seat version, the outer 2nd row seats can be moved forward manually after the latch. The only hassle with the latching issue is if a 3rd row passenger has their legs or feet in the way of the seat. IMHO, what might help is if Tesla would move the manual seat positioning forward as it moves the seat mover back for the latching. (There are multiple motors for the 2nd row seat, some in the seat for tilt and small fwd/rev movement and one under the floor for major seat movement for entry, exit and cargo positioning.)

One question to ask a 7 seat owner is, "Can the center seat be moved manually forward at the seat control after the Model X has "latched" the seats so the vehicle can drive?" (Pvogel's post does mention moving the seat forward to gain 10" - that sounds like the manual move after the latching.)

In the case of the 6 seat version, the outer 2nd row seats can be moved forward manually after the latch. The only hassle with the latching issue is if a 3rd row passenger has their legs or feet in the way of the seat. IMHO, what might help is if Tesla would move the manual seat positioning forward as it moves the seat mover back for the latching. (There are multiple motors for the 2nd row seat, some in the seat for tilt and small fwd/rev movement and one under the floor for major seat movement for entry, exit and cargo positioning.)
I think you're saying what I'm thinking here but I need to write it out anyway. ;-)

Are you confirming that the second row can be slid forward using the seat bottom controls once the seat top (or back) controls have "anchored" or "latched" it?

This is my understanding of how it works anyway. The rear seat access controls (on the top or "shoulder") of the second row are what are keeping the second row from "latching" properly. Or at least the motors the controls operate. Once the seat is "latched" using these controls, then the seat bottom controls can be used to move the seat forward while still remaining "latched".

Is this correct?

The manual discusses the difference between comfort adjustments and easy entry positioning. There are not separate mechanisms, just different ranges of allowed motion. Some excerpts:

"Press the Easy entry button located on the backrest of each second row outside seat ... If one of the seats is occupied when easy entry position is initiated, both seats move partially forward, but only as far as an occupant in the seat can move forward when using the seat's comfort adjustment."

There is some sort of latch for the the backrest, though. They distinguish between moving a "seat" forward/backward and "adjusting backrest" which is the tilt. They have a note "The backrest locks into position when you release the lever. If a backrest is not locked into position when a driving gear is engaged, the instrument panel displays an alert for the unlocked backrest. Adjust the backrest again, ensuring it locks into position". It implies (by using the backrest term which is associated with tilting in other parts of the same section) that the latch is only for the tilt, but I could be reading too much into the words there.

Also, the easy entry mode is canceled if the comfort controls are used which means that they aren't really separate mechanisms, just two different controls that have 2 different targeted effects on the system (comfort controls are 2-axis independent, but limited front/back travel range whereas easy entry is longer range, but only one-dimensional controlling both position and tilt, but with only one particular position it is aiming for rather than full independent control). Both appear to be using the same mechanisms to achieve their results, though.

Which brings up another issue regarding driving with the seats moved and tilted all the forward for maximizing cargo capacity. Hopefully this will be allowed.

My assumption is that the restrictions have to do with concerns for passengers in the seats when they're not "locked". Since the cargo mode is shown as a future option, I have to imagine enabling that will require either sensing the lack of occupants, or some kind of confirmation when using it.

It sounds to me like this is all software addressable. I like the idea of being able to set the standards for where the seats return, etc. If we don't have anyone in the third row, I suspect I'll always want them as far back as possible. If there are third row occupants, we'll want them quite a ways forward. Presets would be nice.

...Are you confirming that the second row can be slid forward using the seat bottom controls once the seat top (or back) controls have "anchored" or "latched" it?...
That's how it appears to operate for me.

Model X is at the Service Center today. I can give a better answer when I double check the operation. In this case, I want to double check the separate movement. I know the top control moves the pedestal forward and back. I want to check if the pedestal stays in place when the seat control is used.

...I can give a better answer when I double check the operation. In this case, I want to double check the separate movement. I know the top control moves the pedestal forward and back. I want to check if the pedestal stays in place when the seat control is used.
UPDATE: The pedestal does NOT stay in place when either seat control is used. The movement of the 2nd row forward and back is always done with pedestal movement.

Why would I have thought otherwise? Because the top control will cause the seat to move faster when unlatched. Using the seat control is slower, like any standard electric seat adjustment.

This is actually a good thing, because Tesla Motors should have complete control by software and can refine the operation over time.

UPDATE: The pedestal does NOT stay in place when either seat control is used. The movement of the 2nd row forward and back is always done with pedestal movement.

Why would I have thought otherwise? Because the top control will cause the seat to move faster when unlatched. Using the seat control is slower, like any standard electric seat adjustment.

This is actually a good thing, because Tesla Motors should have complete control by software and can refine the operation over time.

Having never seen a Model X, I am still having trouble visualizing everything here. From what I understand the middle row seats automatically go into a latched position when you start driving. Is it possible to move any of the middle row seats forward to give the third row seat passengers more space while the car is driving?

Having never seen a Model X, I am still having trouble visualizing everything here. From what I understand the middle row seats automatically go into a latched position when you start driving. Is it possible to move any of the middle row seats forward to give the third row seat passengers more space while the car is driving?
Likely, yes. The thought is that using the seat bottom control to slide the middle row forward AFTER it has "latched" itself for driving will give the third row more legroom. Still need to get confirmation on this though.

My guess here is that using the seat back (shoulder) control triggers the "unlatched" warning as it both slides the second row forward and tilts it forward.