Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our surprising (to us) decision to go with 6 seats instead of 7...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the main lesson learned about 7 seat versus 6 seat is to go see it in person if you can. I was firmly in the 7 seater camp until this morning.

I agree. I would even encourage seeing as many different Model Xs as you can manage. I have seen several Xs now, and the seats behaved a bit differently in each of them:

(1) The showroom 7 seater 2nd row left side seat would not go all the way back (an engineer came out to work on it while we were in the showroom, it seemed if he put enough pressure on it, it would then go all the way back)
(2) The showroom 6 seater 2nd row right side seat would go full forward or full back with just a tap on the control on the back of the seat (no other car did this, even the right side 2nd row seat in that car). We had some concern about getting crushed while in this mode, and an engineer came out to say that it would not work if there was more than 40lbs detected by the seat sensor, but there was no resistance sensor. However, the motor is weak enough it would burn out rather than crushing a limb.
(3) The test drive 6 seater would not let the car drive until the driver adjusted the 2nd row seats back, squashing the people in the 3rd row. (Apparently this has to do with moving the seat with one control [moving to enter/exit] vs a different control [moving to adjust fit], and the Tesla rep said once he squashed the people in the back, that they could use the other control to give themselves some more room, but this seems a poor experience)

Overall, the seats seemed a bit 'beta' and you may want to wait a bit to see what issues persist and which are solved by software updates.

I keep looking at the 7 seater thinking I'll have the back back seats folded down. Do you feel like the truck gives you enough space without having to fold down the back seats?

Only the back 2 seats fold down, the middle 3 don't. So with the middle 3 seats in their full forward position the "wall" of middle seats gives you 60" of cargo "depth". Not enough for long stuff. With the 6 seat configuration you can easily do stuff 80" long or possibly longer down the center space.

Only the back 2 seats fold down, the middle 3 don't. So with the middle 3 seats in their full forward position the "wall" of middle seats gives you 60" of cargo "depth". Not enough for long stuff. With the 6 seat configuration you can easily do stuff 80" long or possibly longer down the center space.
I think you are answering the "full cargo mode" question, but he was asking the "space behind the 3rd row" question. I have the same concern and I've seen the trunk 3 or 4 times. I have to factor in how many times I'll want to take more than 4 people + more than what fits behind the 3rd row (acknowledging that there is also a frunk, but it doesn't add a huge amount of room when we are transporting props and large containers of food for a big party). For me the counter-arguments are:

- I have 5 passengers a lot and while the 6 seats open up some room to avoid the isolation of the 3rd row, it's not the same as having a seat buddy.
- I sometimes have need for 7 seats
- When I have 5 passengers we often have more stuff than the not-huge post-3rd-row trunk can fit.
- I have a number of adult friends in the <5'6" range where the headroom of the center seat won't be a deal breaker.

(I've lost count of the number of "I'm 6' and I can't sit in the center seat so it has no use whatsoever" messages. It's nice to know that we have so many people on here who are in charge of transporting adult basketball teams with absolutely no medium-to-short passengers ever allowed to set foot in their cars... ;) )

Lots of people seem to forget that you can put one seat down in the third row to allow a seat along with some extra storage--you don't have to choose between all cargo and all seats when it comes to the third row. We do this frequently in our minivan.

Lots of people seem to forget that you can put one seat down in the third row to allow a seat along with some extra storage--you don't have to choose between all cargo and all seats when it comes to the third row. We do this frequently in our minivan.

I was just about to post the same thing. If you have the need for carrying 5 adults and some bags, this is a very reasonable solution. We do this in our MS as well as our van.

Oh if there was only a way to fold one middle row outside seat and the corresponding rear seat at the same time.:smile:

So with third row up you have a cargo space depth of approximately 20", but it drops down very deep when you lift the cargo shelf. Kind of like a minivan cargo area in terms of available space. (Minivan cargo shelf is higher because of drive components, etc but it has a vertical back hatch so you have room roof to high floor, while the X has a really low floor but the fastback style hatch constrains you that far back in the car.

Fold down the back seats and leave the middle row in comfortable for passengers position and your cargo depth into the car increases to 50".

Move the middle row all the way forward and tilted in 'cargo' mode and you gain about 10 inches to 60" of depth.

Take the middle seat out and you can accommodate things at least 80" long (depending on how much tilt you can make happen I'd say you could handle 85" long skis, for example.)

Can you tell the cargo space is VERY important to me? I don't even own my X yet but I've been ALL over this car with a tape measure! :)

c02ff74ee42dd57fa4ad8b769ffa46b4.jpg

89521af34903f6d2d85a85d530f77153.jpg

Reactions: 365gtb4
So with third row up you have a cargo space depth of approximately 20", but it drops down very deep when you lift the cargo shelf. Kind of like a minivan cargo area in terms of available space. (Minivan cargo shelf is higher because of drive components, etc but it has a vertical back hatch so you have room roof to high floor, while the X has a really low floor but the fastback style hatch constrains you that far back in the car.

Fold down the back seats and leave the middle row in comfortable for passengers position and your cargo depth into the car increases to 50".

Move the middle row all the way forward and tilted in 'cargo' mode and you gain about 10 inches to 60" of depth.

Take the middle seat out and you can accommodate things at least 80" long (depending on how much tilt you can make happen I'd say you could handle 85" long skis, for example.)

Answers everything for me, thanks!

I was at the meet the model X event in Costa Mesa and am very happy I chose the 7 seat option.

The 6 seat option has no armrests which is a big deal breaker for me. That and the fact that I can't register for Uber SUV for the work cars.

Also there is always someone small who'll be happier to take the 7th seat instead of another car. So it's a no brainier imho

I know, but at least with the middle seat, there is a place to put your hand/arm.

Without it, there is nowhere to put them.

With the deep bucket, particularly the firm mid-back supports in the front and middle seats, I don't think people will miss an armrest TOO much while sitting in the middle (maybe if you take a corner too aggressively).

That said, I would love armrests back there, it would complete the captain's chair/custom van sensation.

Peter+

This is the most concise and informative post I have seen yet on cargo depth yet. Thank You

" Take the middle seat out and you can accommodate things at least 80" long (depending on how much tilt you can make happen I'd say you could handle 85" long skis, for example."

85 " equals 215 Cm. I have not had skis that long since I can not remember. 165 CM = 65 " I will be curious if I can get my families 165 CM skis on an angle behind the second row. Hopefully I will get my regular res P90D 21X vin before the
ski season ends. I believe my 174's would fit on a diagonal as long as the width of the rear area with third row flat exceeds 35 inches.

I can not remember if you can move one of the outside 2nd row seats into Cargo mode and sit in the other 2