Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our surprising (to us) decision to go with 6 seats instead of 7...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 5 seat version is exactly the same as the 7 seat version except you cannot 'unfold' the seats. You gain zero cargo space over the 6/7 seat version (if you count the space between the two second row seats, it has less cargo capacity than the 6 seat version). I had this confirmed by two different reps at the event. In the 5 seat configuration, the entire back area is at the exact same level as the folded 3rd row seats. I think this was an unfortunate choice, if instead they made the cargo area go down all the way, while it would be hard to load, I think it would be a winner for some customers.

Interesting, if that's truly the case. I would guess that there will still be the raised platform, but it would be slightly lower due to the fact that it doesn't house the folded 3rd row. It's possible they misspoke and just meant that the 5-seat version wouldn't have a "flat" cargo area.

...In the 5 seat configuration, the entire back area is at the exact same level as the folded 3rd row seats...
The rear motor drive is located under the 3rd row seat, so the back area couldn't be flush with the floor where the 2nd row is located.

However, what would Tesla Motors put in the space occupied by the missing folded 3rd row seats to cause what you are saying? It has to be that the Tesla representative didn't want anyone to think it would be level with the main floor, but, IMHO, Tesla could have explained that the rear floor would be at the height of the bottom of the 3rd row seats. The bottom of the 3rd row is about 8 inches above the 2nd row seat floor and where 3rd row passengers put their feet. A person can carefully insert part of their hand under the 3rd row and feel the carpet running back flat. There is metal in the center where the cup holders are located.

The bottom of the 3rd row seat is lower than the lower position of the trunk load floor (the hatch well cover with the handle). The upper position of the trunk load floor is level with the 3rd row folded seats, so that is another possibility of confusion by the representative. One can hope this will be explained by Tesla in more detail soon.

Its possible they both misspoke, but they were rather clear about what they were saying, I even asked for clarification. There is a shelf that covers the rear cargo area, making it level with the folded seats. They indicated the level of this shelf is the same in the 5 seat version, and that there is essentially a placeholder for the 3rd row seats that makes the cargo area level with this shelf, just as it is with the 3rd row seats folded. They were quite clear that the cargo area was the same for the 7 and 5 seat versions.

Its possible they both misspoke, but they were rather clear about what they were saying, I even asked for clarification. There is a shelf that covers the rear cargo area, making it level with the folded seats. They indicated the level of this shelf is the same in the 5 seat version, and that there is essentially a placeholder for the 3rd row seats that makes the cargo area level with this shelf, just as it is with the 3rd row seats folded. They were quite clear that the cargo area was the same for the 7 and 5 seat versions.
It is possible that Tesla Motors would put in a (hopefully) removable false floor to make the cargo area flat. Think of a second shelf or "cargo load floor" if that is what is planned.

The shelf you mention (cargo load floor) is removable in Model X. The entire area should look like Model S without it's cargo load floor and no rear facing seats.

Tesla Motors sure keeps us guessing, and that is part of the adventure of considering, buying and owning a Tesla electric vehicle.

Last edited:

That shelf has TWO positions. In the upper position it's level with folded back seats. In the lower position it's 5-6" lower and, I believe, will be level with the rear drive assembly cover when there are no back seats on it.

So the 5 seat version buys you a fair amount of volume, but at the cost of still not able to carry long stuff unless it's long and thin so it can slide under a middle seat at an angle.
Peter+

Like the OP, we were also at the X event on Sunday. Our observations were:

-the car handles superbly!

-7 seat configuration, which we want for the headcount, was not feasible with mostly adults.
-Middle seat of second row is only appropriate for a child/small adult due to limited head, leg, and hip room.

-we test drove a 6-seat configuration, and enjoyed the extra open space.

-bizarre that if you're in the second row seats, there's nothing to hold on to (grab bar above or seat arm rests) when the driver is taking sharp turns.

-also bizarre that Tesla has yet come out with some sort of sleak middle row console.

Sadly, we canceled our reservation (#16xx) today. We hope that Tesla re-engineers the second row seats (maybe some sort of fold-flat bench seats with less sculpting backs that enables the middle seat to have more hip room). We hope that Tesla listens and we'll gladly purchase the car when it's right for us. We congratulate the current and future Model X owners and look forward to more insights on this forum!

The official word is that the middle seat config is not user modifiable.

I was thinking more in line of having the service center remove the middle seat. If that was an option then the seat could be put back in if the need should arise due to family expansion. This would leave us with the option to switch back to a 7 seat config even if Tesla would not sell middle seats as aftermarket upgrades.

Always thought I was going to go for the 7 but I think you guys are talking me into the 6 as well!

+1

I'm also torn between the 6 and 7 seat configuration. I don't like that there are no armrests in the 6 seat configuration. That will probably push me in the direction of the 7 seater. But I like the open space and easy access to the 3rd. row seats with the 6 seat configuration. What to do?

Got to sit in an X last night, thanks again AL, it sold us on the 6 seat config. We occasionally want to haul 7, seldom do we need to haul 7. For those occasions it will be either two cars or another parent can step up and drive. For approximately 360/365th of the year out will be 4 people or less. The added openness and room in the back row (stretching ones legs out) sold us on 6.

I was thinking more in line of having the service center remove the middle seat. If that was an option then the seat could be put back in if the need should arise due to family expansion. This would leave us with the option to switch back to a 7 seat config even if Tesla would not sell middle seats as aftermarket upgrades.
There was a person on the Tesla forums that was going to ask the SC if this could be done. They got the 7 seat version but after driving it for a while felt the 6 seat would be better for them. Did not see if they posted a response.

i agree with everything you said....and i currently drive an ICE with 2 captain chairs in the second row, with easy access to the third row. however, the only reason I ordered a 7 seater was so i can fit all 3 kids in the second row and still be able to put the third row down and fit lots of luggage for long trips. if you have 3 kids and need to put one in the back, then it becomes a major issue if you need that luggage space. if i had 2 kids, i would choose the 6 seat config 100%.

This. Totally agree. If you have 3 kids and need to load up the back for mountain trips, 7 seater is a must.

bws = thanks for your detailed assessment. We recently changed our order from 7 seats to 6 seats. The wife was just overly concerned about the blocked vision as has been documented on several YouTube videos. Also, I like the fact that without the center seat in the second row, we can haul larger items occasionally. Finally, for the rare occasions where we would carry more than four people, it just seems more functional to enter the third row without having to move the second row seating.

How does the Model X second row, in 7 seat config, compare to the Model S second row?

A few people have said that they found the middle seat to be too small / uncomfortable for adult use. In our Model S we can fit three adults across the back seat without too much complaint.

Having not seen the MX yet - although we've reserved one (we're in London, UK) I'm curious as predict our usage would be to fold down the 3rd row most of the time as the boot (trunk) looks small without it (and we have kids with strollers etc..).

My concern about 6 seats is there appears to be no divider between the 3rd row & back of 2nd row, therefore is the 3rd row is folded & the boot (trunk) is loaded up, surely stuff will move through the gap between the seats in 2nd row if it's a 6 seat configuration? With 7 seat, the seat backs will stop the trunk stuff moving forward when 3rd row is folded.

Thoughts?

Having not seen the MX yet - although we've reserved one (we're in London, UK) I'm curious as predict our usage would be to fold down the 3rd row most of the time as the boot (trunk) looks small without it (and we have kids with strollers etc..).

My concern about 6 seats is there appears to be no divider between the 3rd row & back of 2nd row, therefore is the 3rd row is folded & the boot (trunk) is loaded up, surely stuff will move through the gap between the seats in 2nd row if it's a 6 seat configuration? With 7 seat, the seat backs will stop the trunk stuff moving forward when 3rd row is folded.

Thoughts?

Maybe have a cargo net installed? I think I saw hooks for a cargo net in the back, but I can't seem to find the photo again. Maybe someone with an X can comment?

Model S with rear seats up contain smaller cargo items fully. (Very small items could get lost behind the folding seats.)

Model X with rear seats up is a much smaller contained space. (Very small items should be easily findable behind the folding seats.)

Those who drop the 3rd row in Model X will need to box or constrict the cargo from rolling around. The 1st and 2nd row seats have open carpet areas allowing any small round object that drops to the floor to roll forward. I can place a Tesla visor cap under the driver's seat without crushing the cap.

DSC7713_large.jpg

How does the Model X second row, in 7 seat config, compare to the Model S second row?

A few people have said that they found the middle seat to be too small / uncomfortable for adult use. In our Model S we can fit three adults across the back seat without too much complaint.

I am 5'11" and my hair touches the ceiling when sitting in the middle seat of the 2nd row.
For reference, my hair also touches the rear glass window when sitting in the 3rd row.
3 adults in the 2nd row of the Model X was a really tight squeeze.
I changed my config from 7 passenger to 6 after sitting in the car.