Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Tesla Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So. A fortnight ago our Tesla was involved in an RTA. Or, I like to think, had an RTA inflicted upon it. (There’s a more detailed description of what happened below.)

My wife and I were returning from a festival and were hit by a BMW X3. We’re (physically) fine – our Model 3, not so much, but of course that’s the right way round. The NHS lease company were great – we were a couple of hundred miles from home, so – after a few hours sitting in a Highways Agency compound – they sorted us a long-term courtesy car (a Mercedes EQA – anyone fancy a compare and contrast review? Though the quick summary would be, the Tesla is much better).

We arrived home 12 hours after the crash (I drove most of the way, trying to apply the ‘Get straight back on the bike’ principle) and I spent the next few days filling out forms and whatnot. Our insurance company are clear I did nothing wrong and the good lady doctor and I are starting to feel a bit more normal at last. However, it was the first crash I’ve been involved in since I was a kid, so I thought I’d put a few quick thoughts (some Tesla-specific, some not) down here.

• The shock of the crash was huge. If you’re involved in an RTA, be prepared to forget EVERYTHING. Not that it’s a sign of common sense, or anything, but we have four educational degrees between us, and we both sat there like zombies for a while. We simply couldn’t figure out what to do. It then dawned on me, I’d made sure there were a range of numbers – breakdown, recovery, the lease company – in both of our phones, and one of these was for emergencies like this. If you haven’t already made sure you have access to any number you might conceivably need, if you were to crash, I’d advise you sort this straight away.

• We know people are more important than cars. Remember this when the adrenaline finally kicks in. Especially if you’re travelling with others, remember that one side of the car is likely more dangerous than the other. Don’t just fling open a door because you need to see what the damage is – you could cause another accident. Make sure you and any passengers are OK – everything else can wait.

• Make safety your main priority. Our accident happened just off the M1 – there’s a huge amount of work going on in the area, with temporary traffic lights, diggers and piles of earth as far as the eye can see. However, this did then mean that there were cones everywhere, so we could cone the two vehicles off before the traffic cop arrived. We then stood as far away from the traffic as possible. (Because of the roadworks, we were in a free recovery area, so said – very nice – officer was able to get both vehicles moved away pretty quickly. He also swept away glass and did a visual inspection of the temporary traffic lights.)

• You will forget everything, part 2. I couldn’t immediately recall if there was a vehicle in front of me while we were waiting at a red light, or if there was anyone in the next lane along. Don’t speculate too much on what happened. Instead, when the time comes, you will – hopefully – find that the Tesla cameras recorded the whole thing. My advice would be to turn off the sentry and remove the USB stick as soon as you can. (Alternatively, you can make some recordings yourself, when you’re safe, and then remove the stick. This is what I did in the compound. I literally recorded the videos being played back on the Tesla’s screen with my phone, just in case something went wrong when I removed the USB stick.) I ended up sending all the dashcam files – two minutes before the accident, four cameras, and two minutes after – to the insurance company. They concluded the other driver was entirely at fault. It was also useful to be able to prove who was driving the other vehicle, as there is footage of someone getting out immediately afterwards.

• Your other priority is, I suppose, to record all the evidence you can. (We were fairly confident the dashcam would be useful, but, in case of some problem with it, probably should have taken many more photos than we did.) And make sure when you swap details that you get name, address and email address. And preferably an incident number, location and a badge number from any traffic officer who arrives.

• Just a general observation. The two or three recovery trucks in the Highways Agency compound were almost constantly in use. Other vehicles, and people, arrived after us. There is a graveyard of wrecked vehicles at the back of the compound. I got chatting to the security guy on the gate, and he said almost everyone walks away from these crashes. However – and for once in my life I’m trying not to make a political point – a huge number of RTAs seems to be the price we’re paying while we keep expanding and widening our roads. (I think they’re also rolling out smart motorways on the M1.)

• Hopefully you (and your stuff!) will eventually get home safely. I guess we all react to this differently. We were OK the next day, but then it starts to mess with your head a bit (especially as I kept having to review the footage to submit my ‘report’). What if I’d been driving fractionally faster? (The BMW would have hit the drivers’ side of the vehicle at ninety degrees instead of smashing through the front.) There were moments when both of us got a bit emotional. Last week, we both felt ill, though there seemed to be no ‘physical’ cause. If you’re involved in an RTA, find a way of being kind to yourself. A Tesla Model 3 can be replaced (probably). You can’t.

• You might find your priorities change a bit after a crash. I certainly don't care any more about the two stone chips on the bonnet or the kerbed alloys...!

Any other (Tesla-specific) tips for RTAs? Naturally, I’m hoping I/we never get involved in anything like this again, but, just in case… This is some of what I’ve learnt.

Oh, and the crash itself. Long story short, we’d just supercharged at Northampton and were approaching a busy/part-built light-controlled roundabout just off the M1. We were in the lefthand of two lanes and stopped at red lights; an Amazon van and another van had stopped in the other lane. The sliproad to the M1 was the first roundabout exit but we were intending on taking the second exit (the Teslacam footage shows the road markings quite clearly). Our lights changed to green and I started to drive forward, as did both vans. I was slightly in front of the Amazon van, but not going very fast as I did not know the area and recognised the complexity of the junction and the impact of the roadworks. The BMW must have come through a red light to our right and (after presumably passing in front of the Amazon van) hit the front end of the Tesla, at speed. We were pushed onto the slip road, coming to rest behind the BMW (whose passenger side airbags activated). The Amazon van, and the other van, continued on their way. The BMW driver and her passenger said that their light had been green, but I’m suspicious of this. The attending traffic cop watched and inspected both sets of traffic lights and told us that he saw no evidence that they were out of synch. Indeed, the video footage shows traffic coming in front of us (from the right) while we’re waiting at red, then a pause, and then all three vehicles beginning to move (on our green light). I’m almost across the slip road when the BMW seems to come out of nowhere to hit us. There was nothing I (or the car!) could do to avoid the collision. As I said, it’s all recorded on the Tesla dashcam, and I’m pleased to say the other drivers were unhurt too.

Stay safe out there, peeps.
301877399_1123489994916665_8462011669054319647_n (1).jpg

Thanks for sharing. Glad your both OK physically. Shock really is a thing!

Would it be crass for us all to put a figure on the damage? £10k? Chassis might need to go on a jig, shipped in from…?

It’s hard to tell how hard the hit was and the extent of the damage. Did you consider the HV cut-out loop under the bonnet RE fire risk? Appreciate it makes for a much harder recovery.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
You'd need some pretty solid cutters for the HV loop in the frunk, not something likely to be carried by anyone other than first responders.

Still better than the rear HV cut out, which basically requires cutting thru the chassis under the rear-most passenger window (driver side) with a reciprocating saw......

• Informative
There is a phenomenon of Target Fixation where a driver concentrates so much on an object that instead of avoiding it they drive into it. I can recall an incident some 50yrs ago when driving through a town towards a familiar junction I saw the red lights ahead and said to myself "Oh good, they're red, I can go straight through" and only realising my stupidity when I was narrowly missed by the cross traffic in an "Oh Sh@t" moment. I’d wonder if that's what happened to the other driver as opposed to him just being a pratt.
A few weeks after the incident above I was approaching the same junction on green. Lights went to amber so I hit the brakes and stopped just on the line...to be hit from behind by a driver who thought I was going to jump the lights and he would too so he'd hit the accelerator.

The fact that your airbags didn't deploy shows how well the crumple area reduced any low speed impact stress below the sensor setting.

Glad you’re OK and thanks for sharing your experience and insights.

There is one point I’d add after hassles I had after my RTA about 12months ago. In summary : check with your insurance company whether they want to arrange recovery directly from the scene of the accident.

In detail : I was also in roadworks (M4) and was offered free recovery from the road traffic officer and checked with insurance company claims team first (Direct line). They unfortunately gave me the incorrect advice to take the free recovery option - subsequently I was told that, as my car was safely off the road in works area, they should have asked me to use green flag (subsidiary of DL) to recover my car. 48 hours later my car was taken to a secondary compound after delays by DL in collecting from local M4 compound and my insurance claim increased by £650 due to storage costs. DL somewhat compensated me for several cases of incorrect guidance but the claim was higher than it should have been - which is likely to impact future insurance costs.

• Informative
You are both safe and that is all that counts.

You can buy a new car but you cant buy a new leg etc. Everything else is just administrative inconvenience compared to that.
+1
Another little story from 40+ years ago. An emergency stop situation on the M1 and I stopped a few inches from the car in front and was promptly shunted into it turn by the next 6 vehicles behind. Getting out of a car in the fast lane of the M1 is not recommended unless there is a risk of fire and you certainly don't want to even think about getting out on the traffic side. When the police arrived an officer pulled my front wing away from binding on the tyre and got all vehicles onto the hard shoulder for preliminary notes before trying to send me on my way. I refused to leave until I'd made a note of his badge number and he'd written a note stating he considered the car safe for the remaining journey -I just had that feeling that once out of his county I’d get pulled for 'unsafe vehicle' by the next jurisdiction.

Bring back memories of the RTA I was in, very similar, very little recollection of events after wards, bizarrely all I could think of at time was how to let nursery know I wasn't going to make it to pick up on time.

Gald you are OK, the safety of modern cars really are incredible. It does make me question why I even dare think about being on the roads with my pedal bike everyday when there are so many inattentive drivers around!!

Many thanks for sharing this. Glad you’re ok physically. Appreciate the mental impact this has.

Going back to Tesla specifically. Dashcam footage is becoming an increasingly important consideration when choosing to buy a Tesla. In your case, without footage, the insurance outcome may of been very different. On a traffic light controlled roundabout it’s not so clear cut, despite you moving off on green. There would of been an argument that you didn’t check the road was clear to your right (obstructed by Amazon van I assume). Without footage I actually imagine you would of been at fault as the car that hit you was already on the roundabout and you joined, regardless of the traffic light situation as it would be unable to be proven who did/didn’t jump the lights.

Glad you're both ok and walked away from this. The advice is much appreciate, thanks for sharing, but you know we're going to ask for the video :)
Thank you. :) If everyone thinks it's OK/it doesn't break forum rules (I may have to obscure the numberplate of the BMW...?), I'm happy to post the main front camera video at some point over the next day or so.

Thanks for sharing. Glad your both OK physically. Shock really is a thing!

Would it be crass for us all to put a figure on the damage? £10k? Chassis might need to go on a jig, shipped in from…?

It’s hard to tell how hard the hit was and the extent of the damage. Did you consider the HV cut-out loop under the bonnet RE fire risk? Appreciate it makes for a much harder recovery.
Thank you, As it's all being dealt with by the lease company and the lease company insurance company, we've had no contact with anyone since the car arrived at the bodyshop in Rugby (in fact, I only know it arrived because they kept setting the alarm off). I've also just turned off sentry as it was draining the battery. I'm not absolutely sure they know what they're doing, TBH.

Still. It's out of my hands (and not our car!). It wouldn't surprise me if we never get told the repair costs, but, like you, I'd be fascinated to find out...

I didn't consider the HV cut-out loop - it's the first I've heard of it, despite skulking on these forums a fair bit over the last year or so. Do you have a link? Perhaps I should have added that to my bullet points. I certainly should have added:
  • You will forget everything, part 3. You will pretty much forget how your Tesla drives and how easily it defaults to Park, though you may have some residual memory that towing an EV IS A VERY BAD IDEA. Added to that, the recovery guy may not have recovered a Tesla, or an EV, before. You will need to engage Transport Mode (Controls > Service > Towing) to get the thing winched onto a flatbed (see Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla. ) . Once in position, disable sentry and disable the tilt alarm. (Not going to lie, we didn't do this, so the alarm went off as it was transported to the compound. As I say, shock means you forget everything...)

Last edited:
Glad you’re OK and thanks for sharing your experience and insights.

There is one point I’d add after hassles I had after my RTA about 12months ago. In summary : check with your insurance company whether they want to arrange recovery directly from the scene of the accident.

In detail : I was also in roadworks (M4) and was offered free recovery from the road traffic officer and checked with insurance company claims team first (Direct line). They unfortunately gave me the incorrect advice to take the free recovery option - subsequently I was told that, as my car was safely off the road in works area, they should have asked me to use green flag (subsidiary of DL) to recover my car. 48 hours later my car was taken to a secondary compound after delays by DL in collecting from local M4 compound and my insurance claim increased by £650 due to storage costs. DL somewhat compensated me for several cases of incorrect guidance but the claim was higher than it should have been - which is likely to impact future insurance costs.
Interesting. I think, because of where we crashed, the traffic cop would have insisted that we got recovered to the compound first, but it's a good point. Thankfully it's all being dealt with by the lease company's insurance company, rather than our own insurance, though, as with your case, there was a long delay in picking up the M3 from the compound that may have added some 'storage costs'. I did tell them, and I kept telling them, that they should pick it up pronto, but in the end, the M3 was in the graveyard for almost a week. Hope everything's OK after your RTA now.

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
Many thanks for sharing this. Glad you’re ok physically. Appreciate the mental impact this has.

Going back to Tesla specifically. Dashcam footage is becoming an increasingly important consideration when choosing to buy a Tesla. In your case, without footage, the insurance outcome may of been very different. On a traffic light controlled roundabout it’s not so clear cut, despite you moving off on green. There would of been an argument that you didn’t check the road was clear to your right (obstructed by Amazon van I assume). Without footage I actually imagine you would of been at fault as the car that hit you was already on the roundabout and you joined, regardless of the traffic light situation as it would be unable to be proven who did/didn’t jump the lights.
You're right about the dashcam footage (and the mental impact!). I feel almost vulnerable now driving around in the temporary Mercedes with its absolute lack of cameras and I'm not sure I'd consider anything in the future that didn't have a Tesla-like 'dashcam'. We were quite some distance across the roundabout - we'd almost passed the two-lane slip road to our left - when we were hit, so I'd certainly argue very strongly that we had legitimately and safely entered the roundabout and had right of way, etc., but I absolutely appreciate your point and am grateful beyond words for the video footage! It was interesting that 'our' insurance company asked these questions about right of way (and didn't seem overly interested in the lights), but that as soon as they saw the footage, they decided the other driver was entirely at fault...

Glad your ok.

That roundabout is a feckin nightmare - i've seen so many confused people make kamikazee moves because they've missed lights, wrong lane, lose themeselves in the sea of cones, and the layout keeps changing. God knows how many accidents happen there.

Fingers crossed you'll be back in your Tesla/new Tesla soon
Thank you. It is a terrible, terrible roundabout. And we were actually trying to do something quite simple on it...! I'm not in the right part of the world anyway, but I think I'll be giving that supercharger a miss in the future. ;) I wish we'd gone to Rugby instead...

Reactions: SteelmanMFC