Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Tesla Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still. It's out of my hands (and not our car!). It wouldn't surprise me if we never get told the repair costs, but, like you, I'd be fascinated to find out...
I might be able to help give you an idea :) I had an accident a couple of weeks ago (unfortunately my fault though) and had what looks like similar, if not worse, damage. The repair work is roughly new front bumper, new wing, new headlight, replace suspension on the passenger side, new wheel and it also requires a new steering rack. There is a small paint repair to the passenger door as well. The price I was told by the body shop was "around 10k". Like you this is a company vehicle so I've not had to deal with much but the body shop seem happy to share the details.

On the plus side I was expecting a long wait for the parts but the estimate from Tesla is currently the 26th so around 2 weeks from when the order went in

• Informative
Reactions: DigbyChicken
I might be able to help give you an idea :) I had an accident a couple of weeks ago (unfortunately my fault though) and had what looks like similar, if not worse, damage. The repair work is roughly new front bumper, new wing, new headlight, replace suspension on the passenger side, new wheel and it also requires a new steering rack. There is a small paint repair to the passenger door as well. The price I was told by the body shop was "around 10k". Like you this is a company vehicle so I've not had to deal with much but the body shop seem happy to share the details.

On the plus side I was expecting a long wait for the parts but the estimate from Tesla is currently the 26th so around 2 weeks from when the order went in
Thanks for the info! Hope you get everything sorted soon. :)

Glad to see that the car did it's job in protecting you, the occupants. They really are amazingly safe vehicles and whilst it's something we all hope to never have to benefit from, when it happens to you, it's worth thinking that it could have been very different in a sardine tin on wheels.

The most important question though...
but we have four educational degrees between us

Did you degrees come out unscathed?

I'm sure I lost mine in a cycling accident about 2 years after graduating....

• Funny
Thank you. :) If everyone thinks it's OK/it doesn't break forum rules (I may have to obscure the numberplate of the BMW...?), I'm happy to post the main front camera video at some point over the next day or so.
Here we go. I've blurred the other vehicle's numberplate. This is the front camera just before and after the crash. There's also footage of us approaching the red light and stopping - sadly the temporary lights aren't in shot for *this* sequence, so their status has to be inferred by our movement and the movement of the two vans next to us, captured by the right-hand camera. But even from this, you can see the traffic passing in front of us from the right, then a pause in the traffic (i.e. that traffic light turns to red), then another short pause before our light turns to green. And then...

(I'll probably take down the video in a few days...)

Here we go. I've blurred the other vehicle's numberplate. This is the front camera just before and after the crash. There's also footage of us approaching the red light and stopping - sadly the temporary lights aren't in shot for *this* sequence, so their status has to be inferred by our movement and the movement of the two vans next to us, captured by the right-hand camera. But even from this, you can see the traffic passing in front of us from the right, then a pause in the traffic (i.e. that traffic light turns to red), then another short pause before our light turns to green. And then...

(I'll probably take down the video in a few days...)

It's quite easy to run a red light on a roundabout like that if you haven't had to stop and queue and aren't paying attention. Probably thought they had got away with it because you were hidden behind the van and then....bang! Expensive mistake though - repairing both vehicles is going to cost ££££££

Ah, so that's what indicators are for on a BMW! :)
That's a big gap between the previous cars and the BMW. It's amazing how much modern cars crumple to protect us. Looks like you (or rather their actions) took the door off its hinges. Can't imaging his repair will be any cheaper than yours.

Two random things to add (EQA mini review to come!).

Firstly, something I forgot to observe about (the aftermath of the) crash itself. Some daft petrolhead who passed by our stranded M3 - while the police officer was there! - found the time to slow, wind down his window and shout out "Ha ha, Tesla!" I just don't know what goes through the minds of some people. (The same thought occurred to me a few days later when I saw this Fully Charged video on the new Robert E-Niro, which begins with the fact that some twonk has keyed their old Kia EV.)

Secondly, time will tell, but I'm not absolutely sure the bodyshop know what they're doing (or, to be more charitable, haven't done much work on EVs before). Though the good news is they've clearly moved it around, under its own, er, steam, on various occasions in the past ten days, they've also not plugged it in (or switched off sentry). Consequently, the battery has dwindled down to just over 20%. I turned off sentry myself a couple of times, and have politely emailed the body shop and insurers as I don't think anyone wants the battery to drain entirely, but I've had no response, and now the car has taken matters into its own hands and has disabled sentry mode.

Firstly, something I forgot to observe about (the aftermath of the) crash itself. Some daft petrolhead who passed by our stranded M3 - while the police officer was there! - found the time to slow, wind down his window and shout out "Ha ha, Tesla!" I just don't know what goes through the minds of some people.
There are a number of words that spring to mind that one could describe such a person with…. Petrolhead is quite far down the list.

Also it’s bold of you to assume that “something” is going through their mind. That would require neurons firing 😂

Two random things to add (EQA mini review to come!).

Firstly, something I forgot to observe about (the aftermath of the) crash itself. Some daft petrolhead who passed by our stranded M3 - while the police officer was there! - found the time to slow, wind down his window and shout out "Ha ha, Tesla!" I just don't know what goes through the minds of some people. (The same thought occurred to me a few days later when I saw this Fully Charged video on the new Robert E-Niro, which begins with the fact that some twonk has keyed their old Kia EV.)

Secondly, time will tell, but I'm not absolutely sure the bodyshop know what they're doing (or, to be more charitable, haven't done much work on EVs before). Though the good news is they've clearly moved it around, under its own, er, steam, on various occasions in the past ten days, they've also not plugged it in (or switched off sentry). Consequently, the battery has dwindled down to just over 20%. I turned off sentry myself a couple of times, and have politely emailed the body shop and insurers as I don't think anyone wants the battery to drain entirely, but I've had no response, and now the car has taken matters into its own hands and has disabled sentry mode.
I also forgot to turn sentry off, luckily the body shop is only a couple of miles away so I went down and turned off. Only lost 4 or 5% since the accident now. An option to do this in the app would be very useful

I also forgot to turn sentry off, luckily the body shop is only a couple of miles away so I went down and turned off. Only lost 4 or 5% since the accident now. An option to do this in the app would be very useful
There is? Or am I misunderstanding what your saying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220916-150046.png
    Screenshot_20220916-150046.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: Adopado