Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of country p85 rear drivetrain gone bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys need your input..
This is for a friend of mine

His p85 2013 rear drivetrain went out

It's whining with no errors at all

Am suspecting gears are out but better replace the whole thing

It does not move at all the axles move slowly when jacked up...

How easy is it to replace with out shipping the car back
If I got used drivetrain will it work with the current Ecu or does it require to get reprogrammed

It does not move at all the axles move slowly when jacked up...
I do not recall ever reading a post on TMC describing a problem like that. Could you provide more detail? Are you saying that when the car is put into Drive or Reverse and pressure is applied to the accelerator pedal there is no movement?

And I do not understand what you are describing when the car is jacked up.
Requires reprogramming, which I can do.
What are you talking about? Are you saying the problem that the OP describes can be fixed by "reprogramming"? Please explain.
Doesn't sound like an easy job. I don't have a link to a complete invoice, but this might help:
Strong Noise when driving above 67mph
Alignment no longer part of Annual Service?
"Invoice"?

I do not see how those two threads you referenced have anything to do with the problem the OP describes. He appears to be saying that his friends car "does not move". That is not the same as the motor whine noise that many cars have had and which did not result in the cars being unable to move, in fact they drove just fine, they just made some noise.

What are you talking about? Are you saying the problem that the OP describes can be fixed by "reprogramming"? Please explain.

I was answering the below. If a replacement drive unit is obtained I can redeploy the firmware to make it work.

If I got used drivetrain will it work with the current Ecu or does it require to get reprogrammed

Don't really know if this is a drive unit issue or something else. Wheels turning slowly in the air is normal traction control, or could just be creep (yes, there is always some creep even if its turned off). Try disabling traction control next time its in the air and see if it will spin up.

Lack of any errors is strange. That means the car thinks everything is fine. Normally one issue results in many errors being displayed. A recent example is a pack that had a failed contactor, which I replaced. 7 errors due to 1 contactor.

Tesla bad contactor errors.jpg

I do not see how those two threads you referenced have anything to do with the problem the OP describes. He appears to be saying that his friends car "does not move". That is not the same as the motor whine noise that many cars have had and which did not result in the cars being unable to move, in fact they drove just fine, they just made some noise.

And that whine will eventually result in a dead car, but there will be lots of errors. I know from experience...

Last edited:
My wife is from and has family in eastern Europe. We normally make 2 to 3 connections as there are no direct flights, so we try to plan new or interesting connections with extended layovers to add some fun and break up the 24+ hours of travel. Dubai is actually on our list and we have a trip pending some time in the next 2 to 4 months, so might just work out.

I am far from an expert but cars of that vintage are prone to the dreaded milling issues from the drive unit. you can search the forums for more info. AFAIK the only fix if it is the milling problem is replacing the drive unit, a software fix isn't the answer. good luck