Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rebooting the console does not solve the problem, even playing music from a USB stick is affected by this. Waiting a couple of days until Spotify comes back on line does fix the problem. Obviously this is not proof, but the correlation between sound system working and being connected to the servers is very strong. The SC guys didn't seem surprised that it all hangs together and kept coming back to the fact that the servers were having problems and there was nothing they could do. Maybe this is peculiar to Europe/Scandinavia?

Amen to that!!

That is a truly screwy issue. I only have to drive about 15 miles from where I live to have no cell service of any kind. Local radio still works as does the USB and bluetooth audio. And the turn signals audio works. When the cell service is gone none of the streaming services can work. I don't have spotify so yes it could be something to do with the implementation of that. But the car should not even be trying to talk to the streaming services unless you are trying to listen to them. And of course you better have the key fob with you if you drive out of cell service because your phone is no longer a key to your car in this situation.

The way the sound system works is the center console sends audio to the amplifier. It selects the source. In the case of a streaming service it is the source as it converts the data from the streaming service to either electrical signals sent to the amplifier or CAN messages to the amplifier. The turn signal audio is probably combined in software after the volume control although there could be a hardware element to this. A lot of this could also be done on an audio CAN bus. At least in the US the car only can talk to Tesla's servers. Tesla's servers act as a proxy/firewall. This has good and bad side effects. It would be interesting to look at the schematics of this portion of the car. Tesla needs to provide this kind of information about the car.

I would try it again. Select local radio, USB, or even a bluetooth source. Don't have a streaming service selected. Whatever you select as a source should look like it is working. Perhaps the display updates when the content changes even though you can't hear anything. Now reboot the center console. If I remember correctly you hold down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for more than 5 seconds. The center console should go away for 20 or 30 seconds. Seems like an eternity. The dash display will continue to operate showing some things like velocity. If the dash goes out then you rebooted the wrong one. The local radio station seems to me to be the least likely to try to talk to the internet when operating. USB stick could try to look up album art.

Good luck. There should be some managers fired at Tesla due to incompetence over these simple software issues with the infotainment system. The other side of this is probably anyone with any competence is working on autopilot. Hint to Tesla, throwing more bodies at autopilot is not going to get it done faster.

I read through the thread. Agree with most everyone. After 221 posts I was surprised to see no one mention that the mirrors in the sun visors aren’t lit. That bothers my wife more than me, but happy wife happy life :)

I don’t really hate anything with my MS, but do wish that

1. My windshield washer worked a bit better on the lower centre part of my windshield. The issue seems to be my right nozzle just cannot spray this area very well (especially when the car is moving). It’s not a huge deal, but I just can’t believe the nozzle can’t be adjusted enough to fix this.

2. Agree with everyone on the storage front for change etc.

3. Auto exit is ok, but why does the seat have to move first and then the steering wheel. Can’t they both move at the same time? Also wish the steering wheel would start by moving up and then back.

4. I don’t have a P version, but do find things falling out of the little centre storage area at times .

5. I rent a lot of cars and hate it when I forget to turn off the engine when I park and leave the rental .

6. My favorites music only plays my favorites a third of the time at best.

I can’t remember a car that I have had where there were a few things about the car that bothered me. I have owned Ford, VWs, Honda, Acura, BMW, Lexus, Porsche and You can’t make a car perfect for everyone.

I live somewhere where it gets pretty cold in the winter (already seen minus 30c a few times this year) and I think the car does a great job keeping me warm (2015 MS). Just like my other cars, when I see my windows beginning to fog up I put on the defroster (usually the first setting is fine) and my windows clear. I do note that in the winter I turn off all the auto settings and set everything myself. I do find that when I set the car to heat at a higher temp before I get in and then lower when I drive away the car does cool a bit (suspect the heater turns off and cooler air comes through the vents or something) and so I generally pre heat the car at the temp I am used to.

It seems to me that those who have issues with the heat not being sufficient (especially around the feet) have an older car than me but I have seen a few with 2016s report an issue?

Our Tesla has been in the shop around 18-19 times now in the 2 1/2 years we have owned it. Has anyone else been in this situation. Corporate doesn’t seem to mind and our local service department is inundated with other Tesla vehicles.... love Tesla just would like a vehicle that works. Any advice ?
Hate my car now and I used to love it. 16 70D with only 47,000 on it. Been in the shop 7 or 8 times in just 15 months for three broken door handles, upgraded and replaced the connectivity board for birth the radio and phone, and just last weekend I got to leave it 260 miles away from home and drive my kids home in a Kia minivan due to the dreaded Car May Not Restart Warning. They found a bad battery coolant heater unit as well as bad 12V battery. I don’t trust it on the road now and am very jealous of owners with no problems. I just sent a letter to Elon to let him know how horribly disappointed in it I am. I know it won’t do anything but it made me feel slightly better.

1. Too expensive, I stress about where I park
2. I'm a jerk on the road sometimes, speeding past people
3. I think my dogs toe nails will puncture the leather, my fault for not understanding the cloth seating option
4. My wife is tired of me mentioning anything about the car

Reactions: aerodyne
I hate nothing.

But I dislike the lack of even spacing in my panel gaps.
And I dislike the 215 miles to the service center.
And I am bothered that they no longer come and get my car, drop off loaner, and reverse the process 2 days later, for free.

I don’t know if this was ever mentioned in another thread but in addition to my previous list is the fact that the footwell lights don’t stay on dimly when you are driving. It is a little disconcerting to have the inky darkness down by your feet. Every other premium brand I’ve owned has this feature, usually tied to the rheostat for the display brightness. I imagine this would take a few lines of code but would be an easy fix. Or is it just me?

Best car I have ever had but if I had to say what could be better:

1) Stereo. Looks cool but never use. I just play my phone via bluetooth. Spotify and podcast app. Unlike my Honda, cant use the fancy screen to control either as no car play or native apps. Tesla should allow 3rd party apps or get out of the way and support Car play.

2) Windshield wipers. Dont work well in snow. They are made for California driving not Canada. Also the control to change wipers is annoying.

3) App is really great but takes a long time to wake up car. Let me make changes to settings then apply when car wakes vs. making me wait.

• Love
Reactions: bomquito
Also not much to "hate". The service guys in Scottsdale and Tempe have been great, always helpful. We did have some dash vibrations, fixed by the service people. The only real annoyance is the floor mats- the stick-on velcro pads do not work in AZ- gets much too hot, and the glue simply lets go. I fixed the issue with mat clips from a Lexus- cost three dollars for front and back removable carpet clips. I upgraded the interior lights- I do not know why Tesla used "dim" lighting- the cost for LED lamps is really small.
Range- we have been in NM and CO at temperatures well below zero, and have not had issues with interior temperature control. Only a small reduction in range as would be expected. Overall, after nearly 4 years and 70000 miles, we have only "lost" about 9 miles in total range. Waiting for our Model 3 now.

I noticed some vibrations from dash as well especially when driving on a bumpy road. Can you elaborate on what service did for you to fix it? I’m thinking of bringing it in...

I hate the price, every month, and yet I still LOVE the car (13 months in). :p

One annoyance is the frunk. Needing two hands to operate it is a bit of a drag. I use it daily and having to put everything down on the ground to close it with two hands (to avoid warping the aluminum center) has been wearing on me.

Reactions: 1speed
Chill sorts this:) Now breathe......

That's the kind of stupid trade off that ruins the Tesla experience for me.

But more than anything else, I hate my tesla because of the many trips I've had to make to the service center and the fact that they refuse to fix problems I can document even if those problems can't be reproduced by the techs when they have the car. What is the point of having this excellent remote diagnostic capability if it is ignored by the techs?

After 4 years, there is only one thing that borders on "hate" for me -- the frameless windows. I give Tesla enormous credit for how good a job they did designing the Model S, because it was their first car designed from the ground up. Frameless windows are their biggest design mistake. That choice complicates the design and operation of the windows and the door latch mechanism. It necessitates extra precautions in winter -- you really must get all the ice off before you pull the door handle, or you can find yourself with a door you cannot close and latch (I know, I learned that the first winter). The ability to preheat the car does help but is only a partial solution.
Each time I open the driver's door, the window catches just a little, presumably because I pull it open just a little faster than the mechanism can jog the window down to clear the opening. Someday that will fail, I fear.
It is especially galling that Tesla chose this design because they serve no purpose on a 4-door sedan! The only purpose for frameless windows is normally (on other cars) to give a coupe-like look to cars with no B pillar. And it astounds me that Tesla continued this stupid design right through Model 3. I fear they will continue it on Model Y as well.
Otherwise, I can live with the imperfections. Service has been very good where I live, the car is still a joy to drive most of the time, and has been pretty reliable. But those stupid windows annoy me each and every time I open a door....!

To answer the original question : dealing with people who believe owning a Tesla means I subscribe to everything Musk says, does , doesn’t, implies or suggests . Or the folks who read about the latest AP accident or misuse . For better or worse, there’s a lot of publicity around this car.

Reactions: David29
I dislike the fact that it doesn't remember my seat and steering wheel settings a lot of times. Or remembers one but not the other. I have to touch my name on the screen for it to go to my settings.

Also with such a forward thinking car company, why can't I have my texts or emails shown on the screen while I drive. How about reading them aloud?

Reactions: P100D_Me
After 4 years, there is only one thing that borders on "hate" for me -- the frameless windows. I give Tesla enormous credit for how good a job they did designing the Model S, because it was their first car designed from the ground up. Frameless windows are their biggest design mistake. That choice complicates the design and operation of the windows and the door latch mechanism. It necessitates extra precautions in winter -- you really must get all the ice off before you pull the door handle, or you can find yourself with a door you cannot close and latch (I know, I learned that the first winter). The ability to preheat the car does help but is only a partial solution.
Each time I open the driver's door, the window catches just a little, presumably because I pull it open just a little faster than the mechanism can jog the window down to clear the opening. Someday that will fail, I fear.
It is especially galling that Tesla chose this design because they serve no purpose on a 4-door sedan! The only purpose for frameless windows is normally (on other cars) to give a coupe-like look to cars with no B pillar. And it astounds me that Tesla continued this stupid design right through Model 3. I fear they will continue it on Model Y as well.
Otherwise, I can live with the imperfections. Service has been very good where I live, the car is still a joy to drive most of the time, and has been pretty reliable. But those stupid windows annoy me each and every time I open a door....!
Can't agree more! So prone to water leaks and wind noise

Reactions: David29