Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think the discussion should be in anyway different if we are considering in-warranty vs out-of-warranty cars?

If Tesla has to pick up the tab, I want full performance as promised especially if I know I'm trading the car. If I'm keeping a non-warranty car, I might be more open to trading battery life for charging time etc.
What car maintains full performance? My 4 year old ICE doesn't have the performance it did 5 years ago.

Kinda sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

What car maintains full performance? My 4 year old ICE doesn't have the performance it did 5 years ago.

I wasn't making a point either way. In trying to follow the different approaches taken here, it seems owners fall into one camp or the other.

Personally, I totally agree that there is absolutely no guarantee of no degradation. Even in wty period, you would best have a stated max degradation beyond which you could expect remedial action.

There seems huge polarisation between those who want highest charge rates and regen without any downside in safety or battery longevity, and those who think Tesla are just doing the best possible given the limitations of current technology.

Maybe it’s just a normal part of battery degradation that they weren’t aware before they had a fleet of older cars? They are just making adjustments to the BMS as they get more data on the aging batteries. That’s why not everyone is willing to be an early adopter. There’s no track record for how things are going to turn out. Have any Tesla’s spontaneously combusted recently?

It isn't degradation. Tesla reduced the battery capacity via software. There is a list of things Tesla did via software that reduced and downgraded the battery. Again, I don't want to repeat the entire discussion here, but what Tesla has done here is not OK and probably illegal.

You are missing the point. Battery degradation causes some performance loss. It is not covered under warranty. No one is complaining about that. The issue is Tesla making changes to our cars, without asking or telling anyone, to cover up an issue that they found with the batteries. They crippled and dowgraded the affected cars significantly. By law Tesla had to inform the NTSA, which they failed to do. It is a safety related issue which is 100% a warranty case. Experts have confirmed the issue is sooner or later affecting all old batteries so Tesla is in trouble as they would have to fix or replace all those batteries. Their 'fix' is to reduce the charge rate, charge level, battery voltage, limit power, limit regen and cool the battery extensively (which uses up energy not available for driving) to make the battery last just long enough to make it passed the warranty period. Tesla indirectly even admitted that.

The issue is Tesla making changes to our cars, without asking or telling anyone,

100% agree.

So as a new car owner I don't have quite the same issue, but what is the role of temperature in the argument? I understand technically, but commercially and legally I don't see where Tesla makes me any particular promises with regards to what my car spec is at any particular temperature. If you don't agree, please share your reasoning because that is what I want to hear! If they sold me a 80kwh battery, then that has implied variation with temperature. If Tesla makes a specific change (especially if outside of the owner's control) such that at no time in regular use can the battery offer that capacity, or they make a software change that effectively and under all conditions removes capacity, then I say 'foul'.

However is not so clear to me if for a new car, limiting capacity in cold weather to protect capacity the rest of the time while extending battery life comes into the same catagory.

Likewise, Supercharging can't work safely at the same rate regardless of temperature. If Tesla make a load of best case factually correct claims that in reality are highly mutually exclusive, then that can make the claims look way exaggerated in real world circumstances but they are still factually true.

I have had EVs for several years so I am well familiar with winter vs summer use. What I am not familiar with is that accepting an 'update' or having one forced can significantly change the performance of my car, especially without my consent.

Can't hate this car at all. My X P100D is just awesome.

Gripes I do have:
--- Start SNIP
8. Auto High-Beams don't switch to High Beam easily and often stay low when not necessary.
--- End SNIP

I'm an engineer and truly appreciate all the stuff Tesla DID do right, but the above 22 items are a day to day annoyance. I agree with others, loose the engineering time for easter eggs and such - solve the real problems the car STILL exhibits years after launch.

YES! I'm totally with you ... long list of things I love! BUT YES, these damn auto high beams drive me nuts at low speed!
So easy to fix too!
Every time I leave my driveway I'm not seeing the deer on the road in front of me unless I force the high beams on.
Seems like there is some pre-set speed of about 28 MPH, below which, the auto high beams logic, keeps them at low if already low.