Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The turn signal sound is generated in the car, not a server back at Tesla. Reboot your center console to get the turn signal sound back. I suspect you have a hardware issue and in order to make sure they pay attention to you don't mention that the sound system is not working, just stress the turn signal and that you can get it back by rebooting the console (assuming it actually does resolve it).

Local AM/FM radio stations also have nothing to do with Tesla's servers. If they aren't working then the problem is local to the car.
Rebooting the console does not solve the problem, even playing music from a USB stick is affected by this. Waiting a couple of days until Spotify comes back on line does fix the problem. Obviously this is not proof, but the correlation between sound system working and being connected to the servers is very strong. The SC guys didn't seem surprised that it all hangs together and kept coming back to the fact that the servers were having problems and there was nothing they could do. Maybe this is peculiar to Europe/Scandinavia?

What I HATE is that there is no way to report software issues where you don't feel like you are sending the info into a black hole. I hate new easter eggs when real issues are not being addressed.
Amen to that!!

Sound is easy to fix, take off door panels, install Dynamax rubber insulation. It works great. I put it in my doors, next is rear floor.
Can't do lift gate, adds too much weight
Hate? I can't afford a new P100D S.
Yes this is a big car, you evidently never owned a Mercedes or Cadillac?
But, it's the safest car you will ever put your family in. Ever.

Did you document your install? Any before and after data? This is the one thing I hate about my MX90D. Particularly at highway speeds, the road noise can be incredibly loud. I assumed the sound was coming through the floor and perhaps dynamat under the carpet would help. I've also heard because it is heavy, Dynamat can mess up the way the doors operate. Any issues for you in that regard?

Not sure the HEPA filter is a great selling point for most compared to huge extra cargo space.

I felt the same way and almost didn't order the HEPA filter, but boy was I wrong! The filter is one of the best features of the car. It totally eliminates exhaust fumes from cars, barnyard odors, smell when you go over newly laid asphalt, industrial odors when going by the paper mill. Nothing gets through ... nada! I no longer have to quickly turn my climate controls off or on recirculate when I get behind an oil burner!

2015 Model S Owner. HUGE Fan and passionate about the brand, but here' s my nag list:

1) 3G ATT connection stinks (anyone know how to upgrade it)?
2) Streaming music connection to TuneIn works only intermittently (and no - I do not have a premium account on TuneIn
3) Lack of Spotify support in US
4) Roadside assistance only loans you a spare tire, which you have to return to a service center

Lack of real blind spot monitoring in a six figure vehicle. What I love is how effortless long distance trips are with the room and AP1
Blind spot monitoring, I have found, is a matter of properly adjusting your rear view mirrors. Most people adjust them to see traffic behind rather than on the side. Here is the technique I was taught: Put your head against the left window and adjust the mirror where you can just see the side of the car. For the right, lean over to the right 45 degrees and do the same there. Then watch the cars as they pass you on the left, when you lose them in your rear view mirror, they should appear in your side view, and when you lose them in your side view, they should appear out of the corner of your eye.

I'm telling you, it feels odd, but it will remove your blind spots!

My 2014 is the best car I have ever owned. My annoyances:

1) Poor seals- this has been mentioned by others as far as being drafty and such. I've had one seal replaced so far where water leaked into the headliner for the bargain price of $1,000. I have insects in my tail lights due to seal failing and the only fix the service center offers is replacing both lights for $1,000. They really did a poor job of sealing the car for long term use.

2) Slow browser- This is so annoying and seems like it would be easy to fix. I use EVE for it and at least it is semi-functional with those apps. Like others mentioned just adding android/apple play would fix this hassle.

3) Coat hangers- just silly to leave these out.

That is about it for me. Nearing 65,000 miles now and hoping to keep it 8-10 years.

For the phone app I just use Dashboard for Tesla which is far more robust than the Tesla app for android.

It's been a bitter winter here in Minnesota and I've found the battery (75D) performance surprisingly bad. My commute to work is 15 miles, but it took 35 miles off my battery when it was -10 degrees the other day. This makes it very hard to plan a safe trip when the mileage fluctuates so much. It seems to me AI or something could tell that performance is X at that temperature and then adjust the battery estimate. Wish I bought the bigger battery...

The Tesla is the last car I will ever own, simply due to its incredible technology and comfort. I am interested in what you don't like about it though?

Personally, I find it annoying that even with passive entry enabled, I am unable to tap any of the passenger handles to have only that one extend (i.e. Grabbing backpack out of passenger side and having to unlock the whole car)

Looking forward to your responses! Cheers.
I love my model S but the cover on my console is glove box scratches very easily. I would love to cover it in the black fake leather. Does anyone know how I can get that done for a reasonable price. I know its a small thing but you asked?

I find that Tesla quality is lacking other luxury vehicles in its price point and that is suffers from some workmanship issues mechanically. They are aware of the persistent issues with auto present handles and sunroof in earlier models (2014-15) and have attempted to address but should likely have a recall. It will also be interesting to see how they respond from a service perspective given the increasing demand.

That said, they still lead the pack in battery innovation and interface technology. I love the driving experience even with some of the quirks surrounding auto-steer, auto-park and lane recognition.

The car is very good and I am satisfied - but the service organization and their policies is just utter crap. Nobody knows anything about anything, nobody will answer to anything, don't pick up the phone, never return e-mails, can't keep up their appointments, will never touch anything they have not sold and installed themselves, try in every way to deny warranty claims, exorbitant prices when not warranty +++

I have had Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan and BMW before, and the customer service was on a totally different level.

My local SC (Jacksonville, FL) is just the opposite: they have bent over backwards to fix/replace issues (not that there have been many). I bought a CPO 85D and the stone chip touch-up they did on the hood wasn't of a high standard, so they put it in the body shop and repainted the whole hood. They offered to replace the entire sunroof mechanism because it was noisy, but the noise went away before they had to do that. They have been great, especially since it wasn't a new car.

One thing I don't like about the vehicle is the lack of storage nooks inside, and not even a cup holder in the back. I think that takes minimalism a little too far! Otherwise, after 3 month's ownership I am still looking for excuses to go out!

...I would like to be able to unlock the front passenger door when picking someone up without making them wait while I resort to navigating to the right screen... a door unlock button on the driver's door would be best...
To unlock the doors, you can just touch the padlock icon in the upper left of the screen, or you can simply double-tap the park button on the stalk.

Not sure if this counts, but what I kind of hate about my Tesla is how it has made me obsess over learning every single thing about it, and wanting to continue to do so, since I started looking into getting one around 4 months ago. As an example, my pre-sleep routine of reading my eBooks has been replaced with checking out Tesla-related videos on YouTube and posts on various sites, particularly TMC. :) I've learned a ton but it seems like there's still so much to be learned. It feels like the time I've spent doing all of that is not healthy and that I need to better balance it out with everything else going forward. I'm sure some of this is just the excitement over owning a new car and it being an EV, but none of my previous cars has ever intrigued me like this.

There are some annoyances that I have with the car, though they are all minor in the grand scheme of things:
1. Inability to play/navigate music playlists on my phone.
2. Design of rear view mirror is such that it's practically useless.
3. Non-existent door-side compartment.
4. Wish the armrest was 2-3 inches more forward.
5. No way to display date on the dash screen (Tesla, seriously?).

DATE is displayed like on smartphones - actually on the calendar icon! I usually keep my screen split, with the map on the bottom half so it doesn't automatically cover the top icons - then you can see the date easily, plus it doesn't take two taps of the screen (one to show the icons when displaying the map, the second to actually press one of them).

I wish the key fob had protections on it to keep the buttons from being pressed while in your pocket. Sliding in and out of the drivers seat the steering wheel sometimes presses down on my pants pocket and activates the door closing! Quite a shocker and head banger to those getting out of the car. So I've had to disable that feature, sadly, and now have to press the button 3 times to close all doors. I could care less that the key fob looks like a model S - especially since I drive a Model X (P100D with all options but towing). Give me a fob that is like most other cars that doesn't "expose" its buttons so easily.

I wish the key fob had a little more weight to it. I often forget it is in my pocket.

A quick squirt of WD40 into the door mirror pivot point fixed the mirror sticking issues on my Model S. Both started sticking frequently and the service folks told me it was a firmware issue. It wasn't. It just needed a little lubrication. Door handles too. One application of WD40 and I have had no more problems in 9 months.

Hate to tell you this, but WD40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a moisture repellant. DO NOT USE WD40 to lube anything. Use T9 or other silicon or teflon spray. Your application of WD40 might have "fixed" your problem, but it didn't lube anything. FYI

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
Blind spot monitoring, I have found, is a matter of properly adjusting your rear view mirrors. Most people adjust them to see traffic behind rather than on the side. Here is the technique I was taught: Put your head against the left window and adjust the mirror where you can just see the side of the car. For the right, lean over to the right 45 degrees and do the same there. Then watch the cars as they pass you on the left, when you lose them in your rear view mirror, they should appear in your side view, and when you lose them in your side view, they should appear out of the corner of your eye.

I'm telling you, it feels odd, but it will remove your blind spots!

I learned this from Car & Driver 20 years ago and still do it to this day! Best way to really know what's going on around you.