Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't use the word hate about anything, but my biggest disappointment is the audio system. I have the UHF audio system in my S85D, and the sound quality is below par and has been since day 1. My previous two vehicles (2005 Acura TSX, 2008 Audi A6) both had vastly superior stock audio systems. The S audio is very front-heavy with virtually no imaging or staging, and has a very hollow midrange. This isn't unique to my vehicle -- all of the S loaners I've had over the years are the same way, whether they have the regular audio system or the UHF audio.

My lease ends in April, and I'm going to step down to a 3 (have one on reserve, waiting for invite to configure which should be within the next month or two). I'm about to buy a bigger house and need to balance the budget. I've heard the audio system in the 3 is quite a bit superior, and its one of the things I'm really looking forward to.

I have the upgraded audio system (P100D S) and it sounds great but the inability to physically connect a phone or other device to it is most annoying along with the lack of apps typical to other new cars such as Pandora, Spotify or even Carplay.

Automatically turning back on the sound system is worse when you are listening to a podcast. I almost always have something in the backseat, and I pause the podcast, but it turns back on when I open the back door. I end up having to dig out my phone and go back a minute or so next time I listen.

I also wish all the door handles wouldn’t pop when I just need something from the backseat or trunk. It makes me wonder how many uses the motors have.

I’d prefer to open up all doors when driver gets to their door, and turn on the sound system when the driver is seated.

Last thought, I could be doing something wrong, but my windows seriously fog up in winter. I then have to turn on the defrost which blasts the whole car with heat. My battery usage on these super cold days is stunningly high. I have never had to do anything for my windows on other recent cars, which makes me wonder if I’m not selecting something correctly. I have cleaned the windows but I haven’t seen a lessening of the fog. This is the scariest element to the car for me in that all the sudden I’ll realize I can’t see through the windows that well, and the other day when it happened I didn’t have a lot of juice left.:eek:

I still love my car, even with its faults.

Do you recirculate the air in the cabin? I used to have trouble with windows misting up. One day I realised that turning the recirculation off once in a while totally cured the problem.

Last edited:
100% without a doubt the biggest disappointment is slacker radio. Apple Music or Spotify would be an amazing upgrade from the redundant and limited catalog slacker provides. especially noticeable on longer trips.

and I know I know, I can just bluetooth my phone, but isn't the point of the touch screen to not be messing with your phone while driving?

I can honestly say that I think the doors are poorly designed and the center pillar is misplaced. For such a large car with plenty of room (no engine and no spare), why is it so hard to get in and out of the dang thing? The squeeze between the center pillar at your back and the steering wheel in the front is just to narrow. I was looking at a (newish) Honda the other day parked next to me and it had roughly the same body length as my S. Then I started comparing the dimensions.... more or less the same height, width and length but the center pillar on the Honda was a good 6 inches further back and the door 6 inches longer. I think they missed the mark by either not pushing the back seats further back or the front seats further forward, and giving the passengers more room to get in and out of the vehicle.

My stepfather was trapped in the back seat the other day when (with the new auto-exit feature that moves the steering wheel up and seat back in Park), the seat moved back before he had a chance to get out of the back seat and literally trapped his feet under the seat so that he couldn't get out of the car. Why? there is PLENTY of room in the vehicle! Spread it around a little! Make that back seat bench slide back and forth! Use that Frunk space to expand the driver and front passenger leg room.

For a car that's been out a while now, I would have thought they would have addressed this in V2 of the model S.

Just my two cents.

Sound is easy to fix, take off door panels, install Dynamax rubber insulation. It works great. I put it in my doors, next is rear floor.
Can't do lift gate, adds too much weight
Hate? I can't afford a new P100D S.
Yes this is a big car, you evidently never owned a Mercedes or Cadillac?
But, it's the safest car you will ever put your family in. Ever.

Hello "LastToy", thanks for the information on reducing sound. BUT the question was from an X owner. Was your experience for an S or an X?.

It'd be nice if i could have a range mode that allowed the cabin heater to like... actually... heat... and the battery heater to be disabled.

The windshield wipers suck on multiple levels.

I really really really really really really really miss the heated steering wheel from my Cadillac, but I've learned to live with gloves instead.

WD40.com disagrees with you:

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

WD40 is a fine water displacer and a good penetrating oil (which it was originally developed to be), it is a terrible lubricant. If you need a lubricant there are plenty of silicon oil lubricants available in aerosol cans where the manufacturer spent more on R&D than marketing.

I have the upgraded audio system (P100D S) and it sounds great but the inability to physically connect a phone or other device to it is most annoying along with the lack of apps typical to other new cars such as Pandora, Spotify or even Carplay.

You can connect your phone via Bluetooth, and USB flash drives via the USB ports. Each of these have their own idiosyncracies -- Bluetooth lowers the audio quality even further and can cause problems on the phone with other apps, while the USB flash drives take a long time to scan and the system isn't particularly good about grouping your songs and/or facilitating easy browsing of the content.

I've used both, but neither can make up for the poor sound quality.

Do you recirculate the air in the cabin? I used to have trouble with windows misting up. One day I realised that turning the recirculation off once in a while totally cured the problem.
Thanks. I don’t use recirculate at all just because of that. I do usually have a big dog (or two, occasionally) in back - does mouth breathing add that much humidity? I’ve never had problems like this with other cars so it’s a bit strange.

I am incredibly annoyed that I struggle to get 8k miles out of a set of rear tires (staggered, so no rotating). Mind you that this is with no aggressive driving. Early on I found out by visual inspection because they would wear on the insides all the way down to the steel belting. Now, the first warning of low pressure on the dash lets me know that my wallet is being sucked open for another premature set of rear tires :mad:

Installed adjustable rear camber links to reduce rear tire wear
set to negative 1 camber and done. I had the same issue until I adjusted the ridiculous rear camber - I am almost at 30K on 19's with the new camber settings, when I used to replace annually

I also forgot to add my pet hate, in how easily the front windscreen mists up on the inside and when the front demister is turned on it makes it worse for the first 30 seconds before it begins to clear. This is just dangerous

I only recently discovered on my X that if you press the defog button twice it turns red and blows hot air, and is dramatically more effective than pressing it once. I do find the fogging annoying, but it's very easy to catch in time now with the double tap. HTH

At risk of being redundant with others:

Service is seriously sub-par.
  • They never know what's wrong with my vehicle
  • They never explain what they've debugged so far
  • They never follow up when I'm waiting for things (parts, for example) ... for months at a time
All they really need to do is assign someone to review my cars' faults once a month and call me to apologize they're not fixed yet, and I've told the head of customer service in Canada that in no uncertain terms. Yet they continue to ignore my vehicles.

My wife's Model X just eats tires. I will check the thread linked re: camber.

The wipers don't work worth a damn, a major issue with the salt.

Other than that the cars are great. I feel like I gave up my right to complain when I bought a second one. Autopilot, range, automatic doors, and fully electric ... I couldn't find a competitive vehicle that I could buy today when I wanted to replace my vehicle. I expect if I would have just waited a year or two I might have been happy with the Mercedes electrics SUV or the Porsche Mission-E. But everyone else is behind because only Tesla attempted to build a car that was fun and practical to drive.

I still can't recommend them to anyone else. If someone asks me, I'd have to say: if you can wait, wait. Competition will fix it. Lack of competition is enabling Tesla to get away with murder at the moment.

Like most, love the car, but there are a number of things that make me say...."really?!". On the positive side, the greatest thing being the OTA updates can actually fix these things whenever the developers get around to it.
1. Navigation - maps are fine, but the lady actually says right when the turn is left. Also, freeway exits number are announced correctly but the street names are not correct about 10% of the time (like "exit right onto first street", but the exit sign says Cesar Chavez.)
2. Browser - why even have it if it is so unstably slow.
3. Lack of real knowledge about how many things work - especially at the service center. There are complicated use cases I understand, but the lack of ability to find out how something is actually should behave is odd, and the service center people are often only informed of the basic things. I rely on all of the extensive testing and posts of forums like this to determine how things should behave (as sometimes I'm not sure if something is broken or working properly).
4. Tesla 'signature' daytime lights don't come on if you have 'energy saving' mode on.
5. Autopilot acceleration is nuts. Speed set to 70, in traffic and the car is auto doing 55 due to cars in front, lane opens up and wham, AP takes off to get up to 70. No one drives like this in heavy traffic. To combat this I always put the car in chill mode if i am going to use AP heavily.
6. All glass roof is crazy dark and reflective from the inside. I have not gone through a summer yet, so maybe I'll appreciate that, but when I am inside the car and look up all I see is my reflection on a dark background and hardly any sky.

Again - love the car and I'm a techy person so digging into all this is pretty fun and the drive and EV part are exciting every time I get in.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc