Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dislike that the Tesla car feels "common" compared to the Screaming Yellow Cobra Terminator Convertible I replaced. In the 15 years of driving the Cobra, I saw only one other Screaming Yellow Cobra coupe (never saw another convertible). It was a dang rare loud (both visually and sound wise) car and that was one of the many charms that beast had going for it. The Tesla on the other hand, as gorgeous as it is, feels common since I see several other Blue Model S driving around any given week.

...I know it's petty complaint.

You always have the option to wrap the car in any color you like (and/or pattern come to think of it). It's not cheap but at least it helps to protect the paint job under while making it "unique".

im curious I have a ‘17 what are some examples?
I used to have no AP nags.
Supercharging rates dropped by 20%. (I dodged a bullet that it was no worse.)
Browser used to work.
Browser used to be 1/2 screen.
The split screen design was better.
Regen used to be much stronger.
I didn't have to keep dismissing the music "app".
Maps scrolled and displayed much, much faster.
Maps used to display colors, so I could find parks easier.
The new app launcher takes extra clicks/attention.
HVAC used to allow "partial auto" mode.
Nav used to display green traffic, so I could see what roads were OK versus closed/flooded/no data.
The map icons used to stay put at the top, then they made them disappear - a horrible design - now they're buried in the launcher.
The icons on the map require an extra click to make appear.
The current date was removed from the calendar icon, but I think that's back.

I don't media app much, nor the phone and calendar at all, but I know people aren't happy with those.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I haven't driven much since being forced to update to V10. It just isn't as much fun.

• Love
Reactions: David99
You always have the option to wrap the car in any color you like (and/or pattern come to think of it). It's not cheap but at least it helps to protect the paint job under while making it "unique".

Color was loud and it worked for the Cobra fine. The main point was I rarely saw any other Cobras on the road. Color aside - it was a rare car. Seeing another Cobra at all made me grin since it was just that rare of a sighting. The longer I drove it the more rare it was.

You know how when you buy something that you are all of a sudden aware of all the other ones around you? Well - after buying mine I realized just how many more Teslas are around me. They are everywhere! I just miss driving something that was more rare.

I love the car - best ever.

I hate the service. Both the system (no verbal interaction) and the competence of the techs (over time, the service department has literally caused more problems than I have brought the car in to have solved).

Secondarily, I hate the software "upgrades" after the initial introduction of AP1 years ago. They are definitely a negative on-balance.

Given my service experience my wife thinks I would be a fool to buy another Tesla, yet I'm still salivating over the upcoming plaid Nurbergring Model S.
Service is a mixed bag. Some have had bad experiences, but here in Kansas City, the Tesla service has far exceeded that of other auto manufacturers whose cars I have owned. Among other things, the occasional mobile service is quite nice. I hope the service improves for others in places where it hasn't been as nice.

It sometimes takes several minutes to start the car (stuck in P mode, can't switch to D or R)

The super slow MCU1, takes about 20s to display the map when scrolling, several minutes to plan a long trip, and audio glitches.

You eMMc chip is about to fail. I had the same issues. I had mine replaced. Night and day difference. LTE is also super fast.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidB
OTA downgrades.
My car now charges at half the speed than it used to (supercharger).
It takes more than an hour to go from 90% to 100%
Voltage cap induced loss of range
Excessive cooling of the battery over 80% SoC takes up 8 miles of range
Web browser is broken after update
Excessive cooling fan activity under normal, gentle driving conditions (service center couldn't find anything wrong)
very expensive repairs / service
Poor quality paint
eMMc chip failure
bubbles on screen
interior rattles

Let me add to this list...

recent update reduced regen power when battery is cold significantly.

I'm seriously getting pissed at Tesla for downgrading, crippling and reducing my car with every software update. They avoid warranty issues by crippling the car down so it still runs without catching on fire.

Are you saying that’s a bad thing?

If a product turns out to become a hazard the company has to fix or replace it. The solution can't be to remotely reach into our cars and downgrade, limit and cripple them. That's not how you fix an issue. You can't put out a product that develops a dangerous condition under normal and manufacturer recommended use and then, without telling the customer anything, secretly downgrade the car. Tesla has to fix the issue by replacing the hardware that has gone bad within the warranty period.

Reactions: aerodyne
If a product turns out to become a hazard the company has to fix or replace it. The solution can't be to remotely reach into our cars and downgrade, limit and cripple them. That's not how you fix an issue. You can't put out a product that develops a dangerous condition under normal and manufacturer recommended use and then, without telling the customer anything, secretly downgrade the car. Tesla has to fix the issue by replacing the hardware that has gone bad within the warranty period.
Maybe it’s just a normal part of battery degradation that they weren’t aware before they had a fleet of older cars? They are just making adjustments to the BMS as they get more data on the aging batteries. That’s why not everyone is willing to be an early adopter. There’s no track record for how things are going to turn out. Have any Tesla’s spontaneously combusted recently?

Maybe it’s just a normal part of battery degradation that they weren’t aware before they had a fleet of older cars? They are just making adjustments to the BMS as they get more data on the aging batteries. That’s why not everyone is willing to be an early adopter. There’s no track record for how things are going to turn out.
Do you think the discussion should be in anyway different if we are considering in-warranty vs out-of-warranty cars?

If Tesla has to pick up the tab, I want full performance as promised especially if I know I'm trading the car. If I'm keeping a non-warranty car, I might be more open to trading battery life for charging time etc.

Do you think the discussion should be in anyway different if we are considering in-warranty vs out-of-warranty cars?

If Tesla has to pick up the tab, I want full performance as promised especially if I know I'm trading the car. If I'm keeping a non-warranty car, I might be more open to trading battery life for charging time etc.
Is it normal degradation? Or did your pack fail? I doubt Tesla promised full performance throughout the life of the battery.