Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla is the last car I will ever own, simply due to its incredible technology and comfort. I am interested in what you don't like about it though?

Personally, I find it annoying that even with passive entry enabled, I am unable to tap any of the passenger handles to have only that one extend (i.e. Grabbing backpack out of passenger side and having to unlock the whole car)

Looking forward to your responses! Cheers.

Last edited:
1) There are things about the brand and the company that I find uncomfortable (P85D HP, P90DL performance and counters, AP2/EAP story, DC charge throttling, Alcantara PR spin etc.). The car itself is great, though.

2) The California car aspect shows in winter conditions. It is not really a winter car in the small things that matter a lot like windows/doors, charge ports, mirrors freezing abnormally much and poor or hard to reach controls for heating and window blowers. (Not talking of drivetrain, which is great.)

3) Interior comforts and features are not on par with what can be expected of a car of this size and class. Think of 360 degree parking views, massage seats, rear amenities, and the like.

These things are offset by positives:

What is especially great is the success in creating such a magnificent drivetrain. I also like the software updateable nature of it all. And note Tesla's lead on charging networks as well.

Overall I like the car a lot.

Last edited:
I agree with hacer...

I don’t hate anything about my S. But it is a large car, and i would prefer a less wide vehicle...

I remember being stuck by the size of the car when I had my first test drive, but now 2 years later I love the size and presence on the road. Model 3 seems to basically be an S in a trimmed down package, so there is the smaller alternative now.

Not sure I hate anything, but was disappointed my car had the small frunk when I don’t have the HEPA filter option, seems like wasted space I could utilise. Not sure the HEPA filter is a great selling point for most compared to huge extra cargo space.

Reactions: Lu Ann and KyleDay
Sound is easy to fix, take off door panels, install Dynamax rubber insulation. It works great. I put it in my doors, next is rear floor.
Can't do lift gate, adds too much weight
Hate? I can't afford a new P100D S.
Yes this is a big car, you evidently never owned a Mercedes or Cadillac?
But, it's the safest car you will ever put your family in. Ever.

Reactions: D.E. and Lodo1000
The car is very good and I am satisfied - but the service organization and their policies is just utter crap. Nobody knows anything about anything, nobody will answer to anything, don't pick up the phone, never return e-mails, can't keep up their appointments, will never touch anything they have not sold and installed themselves, try in every way to deny warranty claims, exorbitant prices when not warranty +++

I have had Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan and BMW before, and the customer service was on a totally different level.

Reactions: nsxpert and xanatos
One annoyance I have is that I’m dissatisfied with is the location of the phone dock, particularly since streaming music directly from the console is a poor experience and we still haven’t seen any updates on the app mirroring that was suggested by Elon almost 2 years ago. The location of the phone dock near the armrest is inconvenient. I’d prefer it to be right under the center console, with wireless charging, and the option to rotate from portrait to landscape.

To address this I’ve made a stopgap solution using a third party drawer for the under console slot and replacing the knob with a magnetic phone holder. I’m working on updating it with a wireless charger and placing a battery pack in the drawer so I don’t have the wire dangling across the storage compartment. But it would be preferable if a better location for the dock had been designed in from the beginning. It seems an afterthought. And if Tesla wants us to hide our phones then they really need to improve the media/app integration.

Side note- I had speculated on how Tesla would get app mirroring to work. One option I thought of is that it would be done directly through Tesla app instead of requiring either Apple or Google to support it natively in the OS, something I consider unlikely. Also, in the case of Apple CarPlay, there are some hardware requirements that I’m not sure Tesla has.

Turns out that there is something that works along these lines and which Waze recently partnered with and demoed at CES. It’s called Weblink from Abalta and it enables a form of app mirroring with touch screen functionality. It seems to use HTML 5 to create an app module that is then streamed to the display.

Here’s a video of a Kenwood that showcases the feature.

I’m curios if this is what Elon had in mind.

Last edited:
I can't use the word hate about anything, but my biggest disappointment is the audio system. I have the UHF audio system in my S85D, and the sound quality is below par and has been since day 1. My previous two vehicles (2005 Acura TSX, 2008 Audi A6) both had vastly superior stock audio systems. The S audio is very front-heavy with virtually no imaging or staging, and has a very hollow midrange. This isn't unique to my vehicle -- all of the S loaners I've had over the years are the same way, whether they have the regular audio system or the UHF audio.

My lease ends in April, and I'm going to step down to a 3 (have one on reserve, waiting for invite to configure which should be within the next month or two). I'm about to buy a bigger house and need to balance the budget. I've heard the audio system in the 3 is quite a bit superior, and its one of the things I'm really looking forward to.