Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of home state Registration issues.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hotgrips

Fred F. Stone, plus Wilma, and Pebbles
Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2015
New Hampshire
Registration of 2020 Tesla Model S registration issues have surfaced, where no such issues arose when I bought my new P85D (7610 miles since new.) I was called by Tesla today concerned that I gave my LLC address out of state as my Registration, and suggested that my name is at the top of the title and Bill of Sale, with my LLC name below it. Since I had sent in my driver's license of my home state for an ID, that became a problem for Tesla.

I was told that I had to buy/register in their system (Tesla Account) as a Company purchase, despite my being the sole owner of the LLC, and despite the evidence, I am not a taxi service putting huge miles on the SuperCharging. They can access my 2015 P85D and see that I only put 7610 miles on it, or get into my supercharging history and easily figure it out that way. Mostly I charged at 240vac at home.

At 70 this year at the end of the summer, I really could have done without that phone conversation. I had read in various Tesla forums, that when you buy a Tesla as a COMPANY, that your warranty is different than an individual buying it. I could buy it as an individual, then sell it to my LLC, but then the LLC registration will apparently compromise the warranty and void my unlimited supercharging as well.

It is a common enough practice to do what I did in 2015, and it seems Tesla is ironically encouraging lawbreaking by discussing the car's rapid acceleration and top speed. So they give a hint, hint, nudge, nudge to the speed potential of the cars, but in other respects, they just enjoy being difficult. Next thing the Fed will set a maximum speed capability of 80 mph on all motor vehicles in the USA(with some exceptions of states that have no speed limit, they can post 2 signs, one the Federal Speed Limit of 80, and a 2nd sign the fact that the state has no speed limit. That would go over big, but then they have that situation with the country's cannabis laws, states allow one thing, and the Fed technically can arrest you.

I have offered to purchase the Model S with my own name on the first line, and my LLC name on the 2nd line of the Registration page(Tesla Acct. page) and list my local New England address on the remaining lines. It seems that Tesla feels it is obligated to be a long arm of each state, and interfere with the common practice. They insist that they must apply for title and registration for me locally, which is simply not the case. My LLC is in Montana, and they said they could sell it to me as a Montana entity, but I would have to show a Montana Driver's license AND pick up my car from whichever depot Tesla has closest to MT.

Just so all readers are aware of my experiences with Tesla (the car). I love it, just don't like the practices of the company. Enough to get another one, and wait for a 3rd (CT). I had the misfortune of having both rear air shock absorbers leak, so my P85D settles onto the tires each night. And the power assist stopped working, which I was told is now a $3,800. job at Tesla Service. I haven't looked for used air shocks, and on eBay everything is "as-is". Both were problem areas for 2015 P85D and I have a mere 7,610 miles on my car. I have sent two letters to Customer Support and neither received any reply. Perhaps my low Tesla miles and my issues are related to my having life-threatening medical issues which prevented me from driving during the 18 months prior to my warranty expiring, but the Manufacturer should stand behind their product in such unusual situations. Clearly they can confirm the car was not driven for that period, because of their ability to document everything the car and driver does, (as we all know).

One last thought, Tesla presented a trade-in value on my 2015 w/ 7610 miles at $14,000. less than the book value of it as a trade-in. I just became grandpa so needless to say, I'd rather give it to my son.

cropped Cole.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Congrats Grandpa! What a cute little guy. That’s what important in life - not the b.s. car issues. It’ll cost you a bit to resolve the registration and repair issues, so a little time and money. Not worth stressing over. Just love and enjoy that new addition to the family....

Mine was registered in Georgia at the Atlanta deanship and shipped to me in NW Florida. I had insurance from USAA who said that I had issues with my insurance and title. It took Tesla 7 weeks to complete paperwork on a $120K vehicle purchase which is unacceptable. All straight now but the buying experience thru Tesla is horrible.

M

Lots of entities, corporate and government, are starting to crack down on the “common practice” of screwing local municipalities out of tax revenue by registering vehicles in Montana.

Guess enough Ferraris and McLarens were registered there to “legitimate businesses” to raise some eyebrows.

Good luck sticking it to the man.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I'm starting to think it would be worthwhile to go to Billings, Montana and change your driver's license from your home state to MT. Will that reduce the DMV consequences of violations...you just pay the fine???

BTW I found this 6-day old video on Tesla safety, excellent video. It gives me additional arrows when I get into a verbal dispute of the merits of a Tesla;

I really want my Dad to get the Plaid Model S in 2021, but whenever he reads the Terms and Conditions, all 5 pages, he goes back to watching YouTube. I tell him I'll wash it every day after pre-school, but no way, he says maybe the 2021 Ford Mach-e GT Performance Edition with the extended range battery. It isn't as good, and charging the Ford will be a big pain but at least there are Ford dealers all over the USA. The Tesla T&C just worries him too much, in view of the delays in giving FSD to those who bought it. That FSD looks really neat, but it seems like regardless of Elon Musk's promises, he just keeps putting it off. What if he puts FSD off so long that your warranty runs out, then he gives the FSD and there are problems with it. Does that customer have to pay out-of-warranty repair rates of $195. and hour plus parts to correct a badly designed and badly produced FSD hardware? You cannot even test the FSD hardfware until the FSD is functional. You might spend $10,000 additional to get the FSD working the way it should. Tesla has many times charged customers for things that were just designed wrong. Like the 8gb memory device in the Electronic Control Module - those who paid Tesla early don't get reimbursed in many cases, because they had it fixed too far ahead of the NHTSA recall. That just bites. Elon should just take some of his $150,000,000. and reimburse those owners out of his own shares of TSLA stock.

The whole vehicle is really neat. It is just that Tesla seems to be making life difficult for too many buyers. The T&C fine print essentially give Tesla the right to reduce your charging rate, and if you are paying by the minute, you want a high amperage flowing into that battery. It seems Tesla can cancel your FSD and not refund your upfront outlay if you use the very performance features that Tesla boasts about. If they PERCEIVE that you are driving too much in the 70-75 mph range they may consider you a high risk at giving their car a bad reputation, and throttle back on your power output., It seems like the Plaid and Plaid+ are just going to surely be a problem for owners. Tesla can shut down their vehicle. Really an awfully cruel way to alienate customers.

Last edited: