Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of Round Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model Y with 5290 miles. It's 3 months old and rides great. That is until yesterday when I was on the highway and above 70 a good vibration developed. I checked the tire pressure and made sure I had 42 lbs in each one, but that didn't solve the problem. I took it today to a tire specialty store where I had the rotate and rebalance the tire. All tires except for the front passenger were good. This tire is out of round. They use some sort of machine and determined that the roaforce run out was 42 (i have no idea what that means). The tire and wheel called for 7 ounces of weight on one side, and 3 ounzes on the other. They remounted the tire and rotated it on the rim to align the light spots (i think). Now that the tire in on the right rear, it's better, but far from smooth.

I cannot get an appt until 12/14. I look forward to some advise on how to deal with Tesla on the issue.

Jim

This is not a Tesla warranty thing, but a tire manufacturer thing.

If it is a defective tire, they will most likely exchange it and take care of the warranty through the manufacturer.

Your tire store could have done the same thing if they carry that brand of tire.

You're not going to like this, but if you got significant wear than you might need more than one new tire. I've heard of some places shaving new tires down, though.

Tesla might replace your bad tire since you've got proof, but ideally you should go to the tire manufacturer through a vendor, like America's Tire, like others have already responded.

I have a 2020 Model Y with 5290 miles. It's 3 months old and rides great. That is until yesterday when I was on the highway and above 70 a good vibration developed. I checked the tire pressure and made sure I had 42 lbs in each one, but that didn't solve the problem. I took it today to a tire specialty store where I had the rotate and rebalance the tire. All tires except for the front passenger were good. This tire is out of round. They use some sort of machine and determined that the roaforce run out was 42 (i have no idea what that means). The tire and wheel called for 7 ounces of weight on one side, and 3 ounzes on the other. They remounted the tire and rotated it on the rim to align the light spots (i think). Now that the tire in on the right rear, it's better, but far from smooth.

I cannot get an appt until 12/14. I look forward to some advise on how to deal with Tesla on the issue.

Jim

My bet is the foam came loose. Just happened to my car. Started shaking around 35mph and over 70 everything was shaking. They ended up replacing two tires. Something must of broke in the tailgate also because its rattling now. Mobile couldn't find it. Keep checking the app they might have an earlier appointment

UPDATE:

Tesla looked at my Y and determined that the tire's acoustic foam came loose as others suspected on the forum. They ordered a new tire under warranty and will replace when it comes in. In the meantime, they took the foam out of the tire so I could drive it. No noticeable difference in noise, but the horrible vibration went away.

Thanks for the update and I'm glad Tesla took care of you. I hope the foam in my tires doesn't come loose.

UPDATE:

Tesla looked at my Y and determined that the tire's acoustic foam came loose as others suspected on the forum. They ordered a new tire under warranty and will replace when it comes in. In the meantime, they took the foam out of the tire so I could drive it. No noticeable difference in noise, but the horrible vibration went away.