Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state CPO owners who bought in New Jersey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FLDL issued confirmed, no problem with out of state...did you have to wait 6 months as well? Thanks to all for the info!!! Still have a lot of time to kill before the certification/inspection is done. Wondered what the timeline is for the DS to contact me initially?

Patiently killing time...:)
when you register your car in no there will be no sales taxes charged because nj as an incentive to promote evs abates the usual sales taxes on the purchase. In order to "import" the car to fla without any tax consequences the car needs to not be a new car, the waiting period is 6 months after that time you can then register the car in fla tax free.

when you register your car in nj there will be no sales taxes charged because nj as an incentive to promote evs abates the usual sales taxes on the purchase. In order to "import" the car to fla without any tax consequences the car needs to not be a new car, the waiting period is 6 months after that time you can then register the car in fla tax free.

This seems correct but to register a vehicle in NJ you need a NJ drivers license so he will have to give up his FL drivers license to get a NJ drivers license.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
I see that your are in nj, but i agree with (kort677) and confirmed that an out of state license is ok. In the interest of learning for all, is there a reason that can be backed up explaining why you state this?

I had a family member try to register a car with a FL license and they said if you reside in NJ you need to get a NJ driver license. Maybe something changed since it was a few years ago but they got a NJ drivers license because it was against the law to have 2 licenses in different states.

This seems correct but to register a vehicle in NJ you need a NJ drivers license so he will have to give up his FL drivers license to get a NJ drivers license.

I considered regisytering my car in NJ when I purchased as well as a way of avoiding paying the sales tax (I have a handful of immediate family that live in NJ) but also saw at the time that I needed a NJ driver's license so I opted to register the title in NY to begin with.

This is just plain WRONG!

Really? Sucks that I lost out on nearly $9,000 :(

I see that your are in nj, but i agree with (kort677) and confirmed that an out of state license is ok. In the interest of learning for all, is there a reason that can be backed up explaining why you state this?

I too would like a definitive answer for this.

I had a family member try to register a car with a FL license and they said if you reside in NJ you need to get a NJ driver license. Maybe something changed since it was a few years ago but they got a NJ drivers license because it was against the law to have 2 licenses in different states.
I do not reside in nj I reside in fla I bought and registered my Tesla in nj, no nj license.

Did you have to provide Tesla with NJ insurance? They are now asking that before delivery of the car i have to show proof of insurance covering the car. Now is it nj or Tesla being difficult ??
Yes the car was registered and insured in nj, it's no a big deal, the hardest part was that I had to accept delivery in nj, which necessitated a trip to nj and then a ride back to fla. as an aside this was when there were a few less spc on the I95 corridor.

No, I want to register the car in AK and drive it back to AK... slowly. It really depends on the state, I've done it in WA and TN, and I know that that is a no go in many states....like CA and MA.
I'm curious about your comment "in WA and TN". Did you find a way to avoid sales tax on a tesla in TN? I'm buying and picking up in TN and would like to know...

Yes the car was registered and insured in nj, it's no a big deal, the hardest part was that I had to accept delivery in nj, which necessitated a trip to nj and then a ride back to fla. as an aside this was when there were a few less spc on the I95 corridor.
Hi! I've started a conversation with you regarding the details of the process for registering the Model S in NJ while living in Florida. Thank you in advance.

AFAIK taxes are collected based on your state of residence, not where the car is purchased. I bought my first tesla in NJ but I owned property there so I took advantage of that fact and registered my car to a NJ address and kept the NJ tags on it until I could transfer the registration to FLA tax free.

How long do you have to wait before registering the car in Florida? I heard it was 6 months.