Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state delivery and registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
I just ordered my M3. I'm planning to take delivery of the car at Reno, NV and have a roadtrip before returning to my home-state NJ. Will Tesla handle the NJ registration for me and give a me a temporary NJ tag when I take the delivery? Another thing is that I will take a cheap loan from my local credit union, so will the credit union handle the registration for me?
Is there anything else to look out for out-of-state delivery?

I think and think only that you’ll need temporary in-transit plates for Nevada.

Every state is different. Most likely Tesla in NV would not have temporary plates for NJ and vica-versa. You can always ask local Tesla service center to send one internally. Only reason I say that is Tesla directly sells in NJ.

Also under normal circumstances(and I say normal), sales tax, registration and titling for cars sold is calculated on the “state of registration”. Big network dealers can do that easily due to their expertise, but with Tesla I can’t say for sure they you’ll be able to avoid Nevada sales tax. Maybe call NV motor vehicle department and ask.

Good luck with car and road trip.

Edit - quick google search. Call NV service center as well and confirm.

Movement Permits

You also may purchase a special 15-day "drive away" permit for vehicles being driven out of state. These are valid for a one-way trip to a specific destination only.

Nevada auto dealers are required to issue a placard upon the sale of a vehicle. Placards are the size of a license plate and are issued by licensed dealers only.

Yes, the dealership should provide you with temp tags for that state, wherever you buy - "in transit" tags as some are called. You will then register it in full when back in Joisey!
:D

RE: sales tax - if you pay out of state, there is a form to fill out for reimbursement from NJ. As you know, even with a used electric car, NJ doesn't charge sales tax.

Have fun on the trip home!

Hi there,
I just ordered my M3. I'm planning to take delivery of the car at Reno, NV and have a roadtrip before returning to my home-state NJ. Will Tesla handle the NJ registration for me and give a me a temporary NJ tag when I take the delivery? Another thing is that I will take a cheap loan from my local credit union, so will the credit union handle the registration for me?
Is there anything else to look out for out-of-state delivery?

Did you ever end up doing this? Do you have to take it to the NJ dmv after you got back or Tesla just mails you NJ plates and reg?

I think and think only that you’ll need temporary in-transit plates for Nevada.

Every state is different. Most likely Tesla in NV would not have temporary plates for NJ and vica-versa. You can always ask local Tesla service center to send one internally. Only reason I say that is Tesla directly sells in NJ.

Also under normal circumstances(and I say normal), sales tax, registration and titling for cars sold is calculated on the “state of registration”. Big network dealers can do that easily due to their expertise, but with Tesla I can’t say for sure they you’ll be able to avoid Nevada sales tax. Maybe call NV motor vehicle department and ask.

Good luck with car and road trip.

Edit - quick google search. Call NV service center as well and confirm.

Movement Permits

You also may purchase a special 15-day "drive away" permit for vehicles being driven out of state. These are valid for a one-way trip to a specific destination only.

Nevada auto dealers are required to issue a placard upon the sale of a vehicle. Placards are the size of a license plate and are issued by licensed dealers only.
I've looked at OTP (One Trip Permit) to take delivery in CA and drive to CO registering there. That sounds like the "drive away" permit. It should allow the lower tax rate there and the $2500 EV credit. I plan on getting help from my SA to get this right.